Lawn Mower Repair

edwardrake

Don't think you'll find an actual mower repair shop but I usually just take mine to one of the local motorbike repair shops and they always fix it for a few hundred baht. Honda (13 years old and still going strong !).

There is a lawnmower repair shop in Hua Hin but it's difficult to describe where it is. It's one of those Thai shops on Phetkasem road near (south of) the Honda motorbike shop. They have a couple of people who speak English (lady who runs the shop and an older gentleman) and they do good work at fair prices but sometimes have to order parts from Bangkok so your mower may be there for a week depending what is wrong with it. To help recognize it they have a lot of gas weed cutters and Honda lawnmowers on display in front of the shop. I have always had satisfactory service from this shop on two brands of mowers over the last eight years and they have been able to fix problems that no one else could figure out..

there is also one on the Palu U road. after you pass G supermarket on your left, it is about 3 shop units further on. the daughter speaks good english, and he seems to be busy a lot as there are always lots of old mowers waiting for his attention

• 1 month later...

Well, I took it in to one of the recommended institutions above (name withheld to save face all around). No problem, he said, we fix these things all the time. Great, I thought, I've lucked out here. I'll be able to mow my 6 foot high jungle grass again. A few days later I called and he said 'waiting for parts, very hard to get'. OK. More days go by and I call again. He said I really ought to come and pick it up as it was taking up a lot of space in his shop. OK, I thought, just remember what country you're living in. I go and pick it up. When I got there he didn't know what I was talking about. I called the mia noi and they all went jabber jabber for 30 minutes disappearing to who knows where with my phone. An eternity passed and at length they wheeled the mighty machine out of the shed and we stood around inspecting it. One of the wheels was bent 45 degrees. The petrol tank was empty. The choke lever housing, cable and spring were gone. More phone calls, 10 minutes jabber. "Lost them mate. Here I'll help you get it on your truck. You should try Home Pro where you bought it". OK, I thought, control yourself. Calm down ...

Edited by edwardrake

Well, I took it in to one of the recommended institutions above (name withheld to save face all around). No problem, he said, we fix these things all the time. Great, I thought, I've lucked out here. I'll be able to mow my 6 foot high jungle grass again. A few days later I called and he said 'waiting for parts, very hard to get'. OK. More days go by and I call again. He said I really ought to come and pick it up as it was taking up a lot of space in his shop. OK, I thought, just remember what country you're living in. I go and pick it up. When I got there he didn't know what I was talking about. I called the mia noi and they all went jabber jabber for 30 minutes disappearing to who knows where with my phone. An eternity passed and at length they wheeled the mighty machine out of the shed and we stood around inspecting it. One of the wheels was bent 45 degrees. The petrol tank was empty. The choke lever housing, cable and spring were gone. More phone calls, 10 minutes jabber. "Lost them mate. Here I'll help you get it on your truck. You should try Home Pro where you bought it". OK, I thought, control yourself. Calm down ...

Just curious, was it the place I recommended? If so, the shop must have changed hands/employees because they were very good in the past, though I've not needed to use them in a couple of years.

As for taking it to HomePro, I may have told this story before so forgive me if I did, but I bought a gasoline edger,string trimmer, from them and it never worked. It was almost impossible to start and then would only run for a few minutes and stop again. I took it back to HomePro under warranty. They told me they don't repair things like that in Hua Hin and would have to send it to Bangkok. I delivered it in one piece assembled. After asking them about it every couple of weeks it finally came back in a box in about two months broken down into several parts and I had to assemble it when I got it home; and then guess what. It still had the same problem. The shop I mentioned on Phetkasem Road fixed it in one day and it is still working fine five years later. They were also able to fix an Eagle lawnmower that couldn't be fixed by the other Thai store where I bought it. That one did take a week as they had to order a part from Bangkok.

Edited by hhfarang

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...