Study reveals truth behind Thailand's gambling addiction

webfact

Study reveals truth behind Thailand's gambling addiction
The Nation

30212767-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The "underground lottery" remains the most popular form of gambling in Thailand with an estimated capital of Bt100 billion per year, while the government lottery follows with a capital of Bt76.77 billion, a study by Chulalongkorn University's Social Research Institute revealed yesterday.

The study on gambling in Thailand was carried out by Dr Pinij Larpthananon, a researcher at the institute, along with his associates. It was conducted on 5,042 respondents aged over 15, from 16 provinces.

Responses indicated that most people (64.2 per cent) had gambled in the past year and over 63 per cent used to gamble when they were under the age of 24. The youngest "gambler" was a seven-year-old.

Based on the results of respondents, the study also calculated the different types of gambling practised as a percentage number of Thailand's population. The underground lottery came top with an estimated 19,923,643 gamblers, followed by the government lottery with 19,211,727 gamblers.

Ranked third, was illegal gambling dens with an estimated 3,125,705 gamblers, followed by football betting with 1,067,418 gamblers. In fifth was gambling on local sports with approximately 883,592 gamblers, the study said.

Phongsathon Chantharassami, manager of the Information Centre for Gambling Control Policy, under the Sodsri-Saridwongsa Foundation, said law enforcement was the key to tackling illegal gambling in the country. Citing a Royal Thai Police report that said police had made 3,988 gambling-related arrests in the first half of this year, Phongsathon said it demonstrated that the current law on gambling was out-of-date and ineffective in tackling the problem.

As for the gambling act draft legislation, which was approved by the Cabinet in principle in October 2011 and would soon be submitted to the Council of State consideration, Phongsathon expressed concern that it didn't accurately cover the modern world of gambling. One example, he said, was the fact that it made no reference to the growing problem of gambling among children and young people.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-16

• Like 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That must be Thai logic.

It happens cuz people admit it happens?

Then I guess denial would stop it?

"just don't think about it"

How many times have you heard a Thai say taht?

It makes no sense at all!

Well, i'm sure you have guessed wrong, most countries will only sell alcohol to over 18 or 21. i can send my seven year old to the shop for whisky and fags here. not in th uk

The youngest "gambler" was a seven-year-old... wow! It makes me wonder how young the little thais start drinking whiskey

About as young as the youngsters in your country, I guess.

That's exactly why its so difficult to stop in Thailand, because foreign parents openly admit to sending their 7 year old's to buy tobacco and booze.

Well, i'm sure you have guessed wrong, most countries will only sell alcohol to over 18 or 21. i can send my seven year old to the shop for whisky and fags here. not in th uk

The youngest "gambler" was a seven-year-old... wow! It makes me wonder how young the little thais start drinking whiskey

Not here either unless you are referring in general to village shops? Same as in the UK, go to a rural shop and they'll even sell you their daughter, same here if you go to a village!

P.S send a 7 yo to buy fags in the UK and he/she will more than likely get mugged on the way, especially carrying that kind of money!

Probably smoke them all on the way back if they manage to get them.

• Like 1

Funny how the police bust some gamblers but has anyone ever been to a boxing stadium? The police, in uniform, are right there.

I have even seen senior monks betting on muay thai matchs in the early hours in Bkk, nobody seemed surprised at all.

You send your seven year old for whisky and fags! Are you not ashamed? biggrin.png

• Like 1

"Based on the results of respondents, the study also calculated the different types of gambling practised as a percentage number of Thailand's population. The underground lottery came top with an estimated 19,923,643 gamblers, followed by the government lottery with 19,211,727 gamblers."

Ah guesstimates.

Phongsathon Chantharassami, manager of the Information Centre for Gambling Control Policy, under the Sodsri-Saridwongsa Foundation, said law enforcement was the key to tackling illegal gambling in the country.

I always thought that the key of tackling (illegal) gambling (addiction/problems) was upbringing and education. Silly me.

Edited by Nickymaster

That's exactly why its so difficult to stop in Thailand, because foreign parents openly admit to sending their 7 year old's to buy tobacco and booze.

How right you are, and a lot of them send the children on motorbikes.

Funny how the police bust some gamblers but has anyone ever been to a boxing stadium? The police, in uniform, are right there.

That's because it is legal to bet in the stadiums, there is a tax payment from the promoters to government to allow it, same at the horse racing tracks

• Like 1

This is news? My wife is a member of several groups of card players and games are played all the time often for many hours at a stretch. Some significant sums of money can be involved as well.

Someone suggested legalizing gambling. Do you have any idea on how much that would impact on the income of the constabulary? Millions of baht a month would be my guess and that just could not be allowed now could it?

• Like 2

I was expecting some comprehensive psychological study of the root causes which lead to gambling among Thais.. not just few numbers how many people do gamble.

The science is not strong with this study or at least article.

He said that he CAN , not that he does or would ........understand the difference ?
  • Like 1

This is news? My wife is a member of several groups of card players and games are played all the time often for many hours at a stretch. Some significant sums of money can be involved as well.

Someone suggested legalizing gambling. Do you have any idea on how much that would impact on the income of the constabulary? Millions of baht a month would be my guess and that just could not be allowed now could it?

Well as the police run the underground lottery, they'll just find another illegal activity to replace it with.