Former BBC Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis charged with sexual assault

webfact

Some educated responses so far from the local barstool intelligentsia:

pacovl46: "no DNA proof or video footage" ..... Always make sure never to leave a trail so those annoying girls will get laughed at all the way home from the police station.

balo: so it wasn't sexual assault, just consensual sex ..... Glad you've cleared that up beyond any doubt.

Exsexyman: "Is he accused of rape, didn't see that on the charge sheet? Not that sexual assault is in anyway defensible if he is found guilty, but there is a difference." ..... Ah yes, of course there is a difference. Sexual assault is so much more pleasant than rape. Every girl agrees.

b19bry: So it was all the groupie followers' fault for "throwing themselves at him" ..... Good work,Sherlock.

It's heartening to read so much compassion and not a trace of bitterness towards those girls.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help feeling that the 'sins' of 20, 30 and 40 years ago are being judged by the political correctness of today.

That doesn't mean that I condone the alleged sexual misconduct but I think that looking at events in the context of the time is important.

Values and attitudes do change over time and things that were 'acceptable' in a previous generation are not anymore.

Society has changed its attitude to a lot of things in 30 years and perhaps DLT has too, but his alleged sins of the past are going to be judged by the values of today.

Not saying what's right or wrong, just making an observation.

When was sexual assault ever acceptable in your lifetime?

You're in the 21st century now, not the Dark Ages. Behave accordingly.

you're totally contradicting yourself......we're in the 21st century NOW TJ....coffee1.gif

pacovl46: "no DNA proof or video footage" ..... Always make sure never to leave a trail so those annoying girls will get laughed at all the way home from the police station.

balo: so it wasn't sexual assault, just consensual sex ..... Glad you've cleared that up beyond any doubt.

Exsexyman: "Is he accused of rape, didn't see that on the charge sheet? Not that sexual assault is in anyway defensible if he is found guilty, but there is a difference." ..... Ah yes, of course there is a difference. Sexual assault is so much more pleasant than rape. Every girl agrees.

b19bry: So it was all the groupie followers' fault for "throwing themselves at him" ..... Good work,Sherlock.

It's heartening to read so much compassion and not a trace of bitterness towards those girls.

Tubby, you have already labelled this guy as "Yet another filthy rapist".

Where is your proof of this ?

It's obvious you put more store in the justice of a 'witch hunt' or 'kangaroo court'

How is that an educated position ?

tubby Johnson

You seem totally convinced of his guilt.

What evidence, real evidence rather than sensational news reports, have you seen to convince you of this?

When did you stop believing in the rule of law?

When did you stop believing in the principle of innocent until proven guilty?

Do you really want to abandon the courts and let the lynch mob rule?

It's obvious you put more store in the justice of a 'witch hunt' or 'kangaroo court'

Is blaming the victims an educated position?

A disconcerting number of people turning up on this thread in defence of an accused serial rapist.

Ought to make the rest of us worry about what sort of dodgy types frequent TV these days.

there you go again TJ...putting your foot in your mouth before putting your brain into gear,,,,,..,he is "accused" ....so therefore is innocent at the moment ....I couldn't see the bit about being a 'serial rapist' either...

Nobody has been convicted as yet so no-one has been shown to be a culprit or a victim so far.

Edited by b19bry

Where did i say sexual assault was so much more pleasant, i didn't did i? I said there was a difference, i also said it was indefensible if he was found guilty. In law rape is a far more serious charge than sexual assault, that's a fact. He hasn't been charged with rape, yet you referred to him as a "Filthy Rapist". Presumably you have privileged inside access to evidence that wasn't even available to the investigating officers? Thought not. I'm afraid the only bar stool 'intelligentsia' here is you mr tubby.

Where did i say sexual assault was so much more pleasant, i didn't did i? I said there was a difference, i also said it was indefensible if he was found guilty. In law rape is a far more serious charge than sexual assault, that's a fact. He hasn't been charged with rape, yet you referred to him as a "Filthy Rapist". Presumably you have privileged inside access to evidence that wasn't even available to the investigating officers? Thought not. I'm afraid the only bar stool 'intelligentsia' here is you mr tubby.

If for once you tried to understand the girls' viewpoints, you'd know whether sexual assault feels any better than rape. I doubt your "difference" is much consolation to anyone.

Nobody has been convicted as yet so no-one has been shown to be a culprit or a victim so far.

Ooh, and the only one blaming anyone yet is you, with your 'filthy rapist' comment on the basis of no evidence.

The rest of us are open to the possibility that maybe there is more to this than currently meets the eye.

Time will tell

looks like it was open house at the BBC, in the 60' 70 and 80's in particular, systematic abuse of DJ'S & 'stars' influence and power.

They are down to the letter "T" on the list of BBC celebs who have met and shaken hands with the queen, with or without receiving an mbe, obe or better. No wonder she wears gloves.....

Yeah, this sort of "harmless fun" was endemic at the BBC for decades.

The Dave Lee Travis fan club in Thailand still can't come to terms with the fact that their god may be fallible. The days of acting with impunity are hopefully over.

You may be right on point one but should that condemn all who worked there over this period ?

I for one, was never a particular fan of DLT, however I do believe in the rule of law and that we should abide by a due process.

You seem to be advocating that this is not necessary as an 'allegation' or in this case 8 allegation are proof of guilt ?

I'm disappointed that none of the barstool windbags on here haven't made a tenuous link to Mr T. They usually weave him into any controversy. Come on chaps. Up your game.

Tubby, you're right to expose the barstool intelligensia on here who are using the "threw themselves at him" logic but hey, he's innocent until proven guilty right!

I think I'm correct in saying that sentences for convicted sexual offenders are the same now as in the 60s so this doesn't reflect the changes in "values and attitudes" . This may be because sexual assault was as abhorrent then as it is now.

but hey, he's innocent until proven guilty right!

I think I'm correct in saying.............................

Actually the only correct thing you're saying is the above. And the only thing Tubby and yourself have 'exposed' is a complete lack of understanding of that basic legal principle.

Well that and an inability to spell "intelligentsia" biggrin.png

looks like it was open house at the BBC, in the 60' 70 and 80's in particular, systematic abuse of DJ'S & 'stars' influence and power.

They are down to the letter "T" on the list of BBC celebs who have met and shaken hands with the queen, with or without receiving an mbe, obe or better. No wonder she wears gloves.....

Ironic, given the rumours surrounding the identity of the Whitechapel murderer.

He IS innocent until proven guilty.

That is one of the fundamental principle of criminal law in the UK; and I hope that it always will be.

Travis has the right to have his innocence or guilt determined by a jury of his peers in a court of justice.

That is another fundamental principle of criminal law in the UK; and I hope it always will be.

Certain posters here, TJ in particular, remind me of the morons who attacked a man and painted 'peado scum' all over his house because they had discovered he was a paediatrician!

In other words; forget the rule of law; let's have the mob!

Edited by 7by7

I'm disappointed that none of the barstool windbags on here haven't made a tenuous link to Mr T. They usually weave him into any controversy. Come on chaps. Up your game.

Tubby, you're right to expose the barstool intelligensia on here who are using the "threw themselves at him" logic but hey, he's innocent until proven guilty right!

I think I'm correct in saying that sentences for convicted sexual offenders are the same now as in the 60s so this doesn't reflect the changes in "values and attitudes" . This may be because sexual assault was as abhorrent then as it is now.

"I'm disappointed that none of the barstool windbags on here haven't made a tenuous link to Mr T"

The whole topic is about Mr. Travis.

But there is no need for him to get involved, he is only the accused. Appears the jury is already out on him and he will be duly informed of the verdict in short order.................wink.png

Legal systems are such a waste of time, don't you think?

Interesting to note the hysterical reactions of the DLT Thailand Fan Club. A summary of your enlightened viewpoints so far:

Sexual assault? No big deal. It's called consensual sex among some of our charming farang friends.

The victims: Guilty. How dare they complain about a bit of harmless groping!

The accusations? Baseless, need to be dropped promptly.

..... Move on everyone, there's nothing to see here. Just a bit of consensual fun.

I'm wondering how does one go about proving guilt or innocence for this type of accusation?blink.png

Its a difficult case today with no physical evidence, but from 40 years ago?

You appoint Tubby Johnson as prosecuting counsel, Judge and Jury........ case solved biggrin.png

Interesting to note the hysterical reactions of the DLT Thailand Fan Club. A summary of your enlightened viewpoints so far:

Sexual assault? No big deal. It's called consensual sex among some of our charming farang friends.

..... Move on everyone, there's nothing to see here. Just a bit of consensual fun.

A disconcerting rush to declare the accused innocent and smear the victims.

Do you read the <deleted> you've written before hitting the posts button?

You are the only one getting hysterical.

There is, as far as I can see, no "DLT Thailand Fan Club."

No one has said that sexual assault is "No big deal" nor has anyone called it consensual sex.

No one has called the alleged victims guilty. (I say "alleged" as until Travis is found guilty, that is the correct legal term.)

No one has called the accusations baseless; that is for the court to decide. But you don't seem to believe in the courts; he's been accused so that's enough for you to decide he's guilty. "Let's not waste time and money on a trial; just find a rope and a tree" seems to be your view of how British justice should work.

No one is rushing to declare the accused innocent; simply people pointing out to you the basic principles of British justice; but you wont stand for that; as above.

You are rushing to declare him guilty without knowing any of the evidence. That is certainly not enlightened!

A disconcerting rush to declare the accused innocent and smear the victims.

Do you read the <deleted> you've written before hitting the posts button?

You are the only one getting hysterical.

There is, as far as I can see, no "DLT Thailand Fan Club."

No one has said that sexual assault is "No big deal" nor has anyone called it consensual sex.

No one has called the alleged victims guilty. (I say "alleged" as until Travis is found guilty, that is the correct legal term.)

No one has called the accusations baseless; that is for the court to decide. But you don't seem to believe in the courts; he's been accused so that's enough for you to decide he's guilty. "Let's not waste time and money on a trial; just find a rope and a tree" seems to be your view of how British justice should work.

No one is rushing to declare the accused innocent; simply people pointing out to you the basic principles of British justice; but you wont stand for that; as above.

You are rushing to declare him guilty without knowing any of the evidence. That is certainly not enlightened!

Read some of the comments posted by the barstool intelligentsia, my friend.

You'll see that DLT has already been absolved, the allegations trivialised, and his accusers demonised.

The BBC needs to clean up its act. Yet another filthy rapist. Hope he gets a taste of his own medicine in jail.

Did I miss rape being one of the charges.

I am thinking that Mr TJ would not look out of place wearing a white hat with KK on it !