Our experience proves violence is not answer, Thai govt tells Egypt

webfact

"From our own experience, the use of violence does not solve any differences,"

What is wrong with that statement?

Seems totally true to me... Why are you all so excited about it?

The violence during the military crackdown ordered by the Abhisit administration that resulted in 90 deaths in Bangkok did not solve any difference... It's obvious. A fact. A bad experience...

The Thai experience is that the use of violence in Bangkok did not solve any difference, what's wrong in saying that it will not solve any difference in Egypt either?

Another one who believes the twisted red version of history.

But yes, the minister is right.

The red shirt violent attempt to overthrow the Government of the day solved nothing and only served to get people killed and injured, buildings destroyed and created an animosity and distrust that persists to this day and no doubt will persist until the reds and their leaders come to the realization and admit that they were wrong.

Unfortunately I cant see that happening in this generation and probably never.

Good.

You agree with the minister's statement that "From our own experience, the use of violence does not solve any differences,".

That is what he stated and nothing more.

This statement does not refer to any "twisted red version"... It's just a fact.

It's you guys who come up again with all your old boring rant because you have nothing else to do or to think about.

If you just stick to what the minister said, there is nothing to argue about.

Except if you miss the violence and its associated (90)deaths, of course... which, again, did not solve anything here.

Sent from my iPhone...

It solved Thaksins need to remain in the spot lite and regain power.

• Like 1

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The violence during the military crackdown ordered by the Abhisit administration that resulted in 90 deaths in Bangkok did not solve any difference... It's obvious. A fact. A bad experience...

The Thai experience is that the use of violence in Bangkok did not solve any difference, what's wrong in saying that it will not solve any difference in Egypt either?

Another one who believes the twisted red version of history.

But yes, the minister is right.

The red shirt violent attempt to overthrow the Government of the day solved nothing and only served to get people killed and injured, buildings destroyed and created an animosity and distrust that persists to this day and no doubt will persist until the reds and their leaders come to the realization and admit that they were wrong.

Unfortunately I cant see that happening in this generation and probably never.

Good.

You agree with the minister's statement that "From our own experience, the use of violence does not solve any differences,".

That is what he stated and nothing more.

This statement does not refer to any "twisted red version"... It's just a fact.

It's you guys who come up again with all your old boring rant because you have nothing else to do or to think about.

If you just stick to what the minister said, there is nothing to argue about.

Except if you miss the violence and its associated (90)deaths, of course... which, again, did not solve anything here.

Sent from my iPhone...

It solved Thaksins need to remain in the spot lite and regain power.

Your reply, questionable in value, has nothing to do with violence solving differences or not. You're not focused...

Thaksin, who each time gained power through elections, seems to never leave your thoughts. Your apparent hate for him and everyone and everything related to him irresistibly makes you bring him back in every story.

We still remain with the fact that violence does not seem to help solve differences and the minister is right about that.

Sent from my iPhone...

Getting a bit sick and tired of reading these lame and baseless statements, especially the bit about military crackdown ordered by Abhisit.

Anyone with half a brain, when trying to solve a problem, goes back to the source, in this case Thaksin employing a pack of greedy, brainless mercenaries to carry out his dirty work. Dirty work that resulted in the government of the day doing what any government on the planet would have done, rid the city of a very dangerous situation and give the city back to the people.

This was the only way the maniac saw fit to get himself back into the driver's seat, with complete disregard for his paid goons, the people of Bangkok, or anyone who opposed his terrorist mob.

Anyone who defends Thaksin or his thugs should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like 2

Getting a bit sick and tired of reading these lame and baseless statements, especially the bit about military crackdown ordered by Abhisit.

Anyone with half a brain, when trying to solve a problem, goes back to the source, in this case Thaksin employing a pack of greedy, brainless mercenaries to carry out his dirty work. Dirty work that resulted in the government of the day doing what any government on the planet would have done, rid the city of a very dangerous situation and give the city back to the people.

This was the only way the maniac saw fit to get himself back into the driver's seat, with complete disregard for his paid goons, the people of Bangkok, or anyone who opposed his terrorist mob.

Ok ok, thanks for your rant too... and for the rich vocabulary you use to refer to the protesters and the person they elected.

But ok, tell us now what is wrong with the statement of the minister, please.

Is it wrong to say that violence, from the Thai experience, does not solve the differences?

From what you write ("the government...rid the city of a very dangerous situation..."), i understand that you think that the violent crackdown and the 90 deaths were justified (to say the least).

But... Did violence solve the differences?

That is what the statement is about... Not what you have to say about Thaksin or the protesters.

90 people purportedly died during those sad 2 months of Red occupation of downtown Bkk. Even Red Shirt apologists don't purport that all died via efforts of officials to maintain security. ....or are Red Shirt boosters still trying to convince us that all died from authorities' bullets?

And your 2nd point is just as off-base: In reality, the violence DID accomplish something. It enabled the Reds to garner sympathy, and enabled the Shinawatres to regain political control of Thailand.

Violence during the crackdown did accomplish many things, as you say, and I agree with you.

But that has nothing to do with what the minister said...

Did violence solve the differences?

Of course not.

Edited by gerry1011

I don't remember saying there was anything wrong with the Minister's statement. You seem to be arguing with yourself.

And if you want to preach the Minister's message to someone don't waste your time on me, I don't pay thugs to terrorise people in hospitals and set fire to shopping centers and government buildings . Go tell your mate in Dubai. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Ok ok, thanks for your rant too... and for the rich vocabulary you use to refer to the protesters and the person they elected.

Is it wrong to say that violence, from the Thai experience, does not solve the differences?

From what you write ("the government...rid the city of a very dangerous situation..."), i understand that you think that the violent crackdown and the 90 deaths were justified (to say the least).

But... Did violence solve the differences?

That is what the statement is about... Not what you have to say about Thaksin or the protesters.

Who's on first?

This is true but there is more to it than that.

Lessons must be learnt from past experience and those lessons put into practice.

Unfortunatuley in this country these lessons do not appear to have been learnt, or if they have they have been ignored by those in authority.

Recent events bare this out with reds attacking peaceful protesters and blockading courts and other institutions that have come to conclusions they do not like, threatening judges and others who have been doing their job and demanding their resignations.

You may say threats are not violence but some of these threats have been of violence and yet the authorities, including the police, have done nothing, not even condemning these actions.

To tell another country that violence does not solve problems while condoning violence, threats and intimidation (by doing nothing about it) is indeed hypocrisy of the highest order.

• Like 2

I don't remember saying there was anything wrong with the Minister's statement. You seem to be arguing with yourself.

And if you want to preach the Minister's message to someone don't waste your time on me, I don't pay thugs to terrorise people in hospitals and set fire to shopping centers and government buildings . Go tell your mate in Dubai. thumbsup.gif

I am not arguing with myself, I am arguing with you guys :)

You now don't see anything wrong with the minister's statement that says "violence does not solve differences", but since the beginning of this thread you all divert from that common sense and sensible statement and come up with stories that have nothing to do with what he said.

If I compare what the minister said and what I can read here, I find the minister much more sensible... and see much less anger and violence in his words than on this forum.

But ok, since now you don't see anything wrong in what the minister said we can go on to another subject :)

What experience do they have if solving political issues in Thailand in any other way than violent?

A country with 19 coups arguing that politics works. Strewth

Then we have very good news !!!

At least this government states that violence does not solve differences. It's a new start.

The only thing left is for the people to wait for each elections to change the government and stop taking everyone hostage with their rallies (both colors).

:)

Sent from my iPhone...

No, very good news would be if the PTP severed all ties with the redshirts, the redshirts were disbanded, and all the rabble rousers who incited the "burn baby burn" actions in 2010 were thrown in prison never to see the light of day again. .......... clap2.gif

• Like 2

I really cannot believe the nerve and thick skin on these people. Fix the sh@t in your own backyard and get your own house in order before you lecture other people. Bloody shameless, self serving animals.

This crude semi-literate post attracts support from the usual reactionaries.No surprise there but there is a problem in the logic they follow.The foreign minister is speaking no more than the plain and simple truth, and I note he does not attribute blame to any one side.Violence is not the answer to resolving political problems.

Also incredibly throughout this thread there is no mention of the criminal military coup which in Thailand as in Egypt made a difficult situation ten times worse.

• Like 2

What experience do they have if solving political issues in Thailand in any other way than violent?

At least this government states that violence does not solve differences. It's a new start.

The only thing left is for the people to wait for each elections to change the government and stop taking everyone hostage with their rallies (both colors).

Sent from my iPhone...

I will remember this message, when rather inevitably the tanks start rolling in Bangkok in the next 6 months.

• Like 1

Sent from my iPhone...

I will remember this message, when rather inevitably the tanks start rolling in Bangkok in the next 6 months.

I am sure you anxiously wait for that day...

Sent from my iPhone...

Sent from my iPhone...

I am sure you anxiously wait for that day...

Sent from my iPhone...

You think it won't happen? The establishment will just roll over while Thaksin takes control of the country?

I am not anxiously awaiting anything other than getting my family out of here on Wednesday after 18 years.

This crude semi-literate post attracts support from the usual reactionaries.No surprise there but there is a problem in the logic they follow.The foreign minister is speaking no more than the plain and simple truth, and I note he does not attribute blame to any one side.Violence is not the answer to resolving political problems.

Also incredibly throughout this thread there is no mention of the criminal military coup which in Thailand as in Egypt made a difficult situation ten times worse.

I see you are back with your usual insults jayboy.

Would it be at all possible for you to post without insulting someone?

As the minister says and as we all here seem to agree violence is not the answer.

However it is not enough for someone in the ministers position simply to say that, he must show sincerity by his and his governments actions.

This is not happening as they continue to issue threats and intimidation and turn a blind eye to the actions of their red shirt thugs.

The statement of the minister is related to the violent and bloody military crackdown in Egypt that evacuated people protesting against the removal of their elected leader.

It is, of course, also clearly related to the experience Thailand gained from the past coups and unrest, and especially the unpleasant experience that occurred when the Democrats' government ordered a crackdown on the red protesters, which led to 90 deaths.

It is also clear that this statement is a message sent to the opponents of the PT who try hard to instigate unrest again and wish for one more coup.

Hopefully, looking at the very low turnout of the last demonstrations of the yellows, white masks, etc... we can hope that, apart from the last extremists groups, most Thais are now tired with these protests and will wait for the next elections instead.

I understand that many on this forum prefer to see the past violence in Thailand in their own way, and put all the blame one the less fortunate red farmers (the "thugs"), who, as brainless and manipulated as many posters want them to be, only got what they deserved by willingly running into the army's bullets... They were looking for trouble they got it, and the army and the government only did their duty.

A favorite version of many on this forum.

And, of course, to avoid heavy criticism (and loads of insults) everyone else should agree with such versions and avoid any mention of the PAD yellows' criminal actions that brought this country to a standstill since years.

This fits many posters' theories quite well...

The 90 deaths of the Democrats' violent crackdown, however, are also important for people who do not share the same theories...

To my knowledge, the actions of this PT government did not lead to any death...

The actions that the present government took to avoid confrontation with yellows/white masks/democrat protesters during the amnesty/reconciliation parliament sessions probably achieved a very important goal: Avoid violence.

The PT government succeeding in avoiding violence is (unfortunately) not pleasing the ones who wish for the worst to happen...

I think that the experience gained from the past by all sides (violence does not solve differences) is at present better understood by the PT leaders than the Democrats and their yellow extremists allies... and too many TV posters, of course.

Sent from my iPhone...

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

gl555: I really cannot believe the nerve and thick skin on these people. Fix the sh@t in your own backyard and get your own house in order before you lecture other people. Bloody shameless, self serving animals.

jayboy: This crude semi-literate post attracts support from the usual reactionaries.No surprise there but there is a problem in the logic they follow.The foreign minister is speaking no more than the plain and simple truth, and I note he does not attribute blame to any one side.Violence is not the answer to resolving political problems.

Robby nz: I see you are back with your usual insults jayboy.

As the minister says and as we all here seem to agree violence is not the answer.

However it is not enough for someone in the ministers position simply to say that, he must show sincerity by his and his governments actions.

This is not happening as they continue to issue threats and intimidation and turn a blind eye to the actions of their red shirt thugs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to gl555: If we all were required to "get our own house in order before we lectured other people", there would be absolutely no lecturing at all in the world. Including from us. That might be a better world, but it would probably bore us to tears.

And lest it go unnoticed, we are all animals. Every last one of us.

to jayboy: It may be a blunt post, but I do not find it semi-literate. It expresses an opinion in colorful, passionate language that most of us have used at one time or another. Your main point is that its logic is flawed. Why not stick with that?

to Robby nz: It seems you agree in essence with what the minister said. If someone else had said it, I am guessing you thus would probably have no problem with it. So why are we criticizing a viewpoint that we agree with? Is it simply because we don't like that person's politics on other issues? (I'm thinking this is the case.) Why not take any opportunity to advance views that we agree with, even if our enemies voice them? This is a well-known technique of political activists of all stripes...

Looking at all this Yellow Shirt farangs postings, it just doesn't make sense because if the Yellow Shirt aka Abhisit would be back in power w/o of course winning an election, all you are are still a bunch of farangs that Thailand doesn't give a dam_n about. Hopefully in your own country one day the army starts shooting its own citizens. Live must be really bad of always whining about the Yingluck government. Under Abhisit did anything improves for you in Thailand or with the help of Suthep?

If you don't like the government in Thailand why don't put up your bag and just go home to your country with a high unemployment rate because it doesn't matter who is in power in Thailand the people's will always get ripped off.

It's not really about the government in Thailand but more about Thailand.

What an intelligent and well thought out post. whistling.gif

• Like 2

"From our own experience, the use of violence does not solve any differences," the statement said.

Although the minister's words make literal sense, as they should if said by anyone, it's very, very unlikely that there is little, if any, sincerity behind them.

Whenever there has been a people's movement for real change in Thailand, extreme government sanctioned violence directed against the protesters was the order of the day. The years 1973, 1976 and 1992 spring to mind, when there seemed to be a real desire by the people to oust the dictators of the day.

After these sad events, nobody was deemed responsible or punished. Pushes for official inquiries were ignored or sidelined. In fact, after these events, certain individuals were even rewarded with lucrative positions in large companies or allowed to 'retire' peacefully, even though they were the head of 'government' at the time. The same will happen with the post 2010 inquiries.

To add to the mix, for the last 20 odd years, feudalism politics and fealty and institutionalised vote buying have been the norm in Thailand. This is noticeable - even proven - by the never ending merry go round of the usual suspects (or their families) in power.

Politics in Thailand is a business, and always has been. The use of violence is unimportant because - in the long run - it makes absolutely no difference to who controls the money.

It's as simple as that.

90 people purportedly died during those sad 2 months of Red occupation of downtown Bkk. Even Red Shirt apologists don't purport that all died via efforts of officials to maintain security. ....or are Red Shirt boosters still trying to convince us that all died from authorities' bullets?

And your 2nd point is just as off-base: In reality, the violence DID accomplish something. It enabled the Reds to garner sympathy, and enabled the Shinawatres to regain political control of Thailand.

Violence during the crackdown did accomplish many things, as you say, and I agree with you.

But that has nothing to do with what the minister said...

Did violence solve the differences?

Of course not.

We are a species with a history immersed and intertwined with violence. I just watched a special on wolves. Their use of violence within the pack (as well as playfulness and affection) was manifested every day. We're similar to wolves in many ways, except wolves aren't self-afflicted with mental tortures, as we are. Look at human history from cro-magnon times onwards, and you'll see violence was key in solving many issues. Not always for the better, fersure. Just recently, the violence in Libya liberated those folks from decades of abysmal rule. Earlier, violence was needed in former-Yugoslavia, to kick the Serbians back to Serbia. Discussions can be good, but more changes have come through violence, than through discussions. It's a reflection of the aggressive aspect of human nature.

The statement of the minister is related to the violent and bloody military crackdown in Egypt that evacuated people protesting against the removal of their elected leader.

It is, of course, also clearly related to the experience Thailand gained from the past coups and unrest, and especially the unpleasant experience that occurred when the Democrats' government ordered a crackdown on the red protesters, which led to 90 deaths.

It is also clear that this statement is a message sent to the opponents of the PT who try hard to instigate unrest again and wish for one more coup.

Hopefully, looking at the very low turnout of the last demonstrations of the yellows, white masks, etc... we can hope that, apart from the last extremists groups, most Thais are now tired with these protests and will wait for the next elections instead.

I understand that many on this forum prefer to see the past violence in Thailand in their own way, and put all the blame one the less fortunate red farmers (the "thugs"), who, as brainless and manipulated as many posters want them to be, only got what they deserved by willingly running into the army's bullets... They were looking for trouble they got it, and the army and the government only did their duty.

A favorite version of many on this forum.

And, of course, to avoid heavy criticism (and loads of insults) everyone else should agree with such versions and avoid any mention of the PAD yellows' criminal actions that brought this country to a standstill since years.

This fits many posters' theories quite well...

The 90 deaths of the Democrats' violent crackdown, however, are also important for people who do not share the same theories...

To my knowledge, the actions of this PT government did not lead to any death...

The actions that the present government took to avoid confrontation with yellows/white masks/democrat protesters during the amnesty/reconciliation parliament sessions probably achieved a very important goal: Avoid violence.

The PT government succeeding in avoiding violence is (unfortunately) not pleasing the ones who wish for the worst to happen...

I think that the experience gained from the past by all sides (violence does not solve differences) is at present better understood by the PT leaders than the Democrats and their yellow extremists allies... and too many TV posters, of course.

And this from someone who calls other peoples posts rants.

So you tell us the minister was referring to the red shirt riots with their armed element that led directly to all the deaths, injuries and destruction, even though he did not say so, you must be close to him to know this.

And you believe that any ongoing violence like :

Gunmen shoot up house of 'Post Today' editor

Or the reds attacking other protest groups mean nothing and ignoring these things while lecturing another country does not amount to hypocrisy.

jayboy: This crude semi-literate post attracts support from the usual reactionaries.No surprise there but there is a problem in the logic they follow.The foreign minister is speaking no more than the plain and simple truth, and I note he does not attribute blame to any one side.Violence is not the answer to resolving political problems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to jayboy: It may be a blunt post, but I do not find it semi-literate. It expresses an opinion in colorful, passionate language that most of us have used at one time or another. Your main point is that its logic is flawed. Why not stick with that?

Fair enough and point taken.One has to deal with so much ignorance and prejudice that occasionally one forgets one's manners.But you are right to rebuke me.

On the topic subject matter here's an interesting article by the excellent Ian Buruma contrasting the situation in Egypt and Thailand.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/give-democracy-a-chance-in-egypt/article13724965/

Edited by jayboy

I see you are back with your usual insults jayboy.

Well said you and straight to the point of the issue. It is the absolute bias and their own non compliance that is the obvious.

And Jayboy comparing Egypt and Thailand is chalk and cheese. In Egypt you are seeing a government / Army combination out of control. See the hundreds possibly by now thousand(?) being gunned down. It is idiotic to compare the two considering from both sides in the Thaksin led terrorist attack on Bangkok the indiscriminate numbers guilty to both side, and here I compare the 6 that are probable black marks against the Army in the final assault on the temple vs the General and his men who died in the Thaksin paid for assault which then set the tone of response which was measured compared to what is occurring in Egypt.

I do agree however that the Thaksin led attempted 2010 coup against the legitimate government of the time, no matter how much the Reds eyes can't accept that, was criminal and in fact Thaksin has more to answer than that in it is best described as terrorist.

Edited by Roadman
  • Like 1

And Jayboy comparing Egypt and Thailand is chalk and cheese. In Egypt you are seeing a government / Army combination out of control. See the hundreds possibly by now thousand(?) being gunned down. It is idiotic to compare the two considering from both sides in the Thaksin led terrorist attack on Bangkok the indiscriminate numbers guilty to both side, and here I compare the 6 that are probable black marks against the Army in the final assault on the temple vs the General and his men who died in the Thaksin paid for assault which then set the tone of response which was measured compared to what is occurring in Egypt.

I do agree however that the Thaksin led attempted 2010 coup against the legitimate government of the time, no matter how much the Reds eyes can't accept that, was criminal and in fact Thaksin has more to answer than that in it is best described as terrorist.

You not only miss the point but don't seem to understand the issue.Of course the circumstances are quite different in Thailand and Egypt (notably the scale of violence) but there are enough similarities to make the comparison not only worth while but extremely interesting.It is by making this analysis, as for example in Ian Buruma's piece posted earlier, that one understands what is the same and what is different.

Incidentally many the defenders of the slaughter by the army in Egypt are making much the same kind of dishonest defence of the arm's brutality as we have heard in Thailand, on this forum and elsewhere.A cut and paste job of the usual suspects exculpation of the army's savagery could be applied in both countries indistinguishably