My Planned estimated monthly budget for Thailand

kscott

here we go again,,

young and old,,lol

some can get this topic into any post,,lol

When your young in Thailand it is actually cheaper than when you are older.

Less commitments vs More commitments vs much more commitments

young free and single vs girlfriend,bike,apartment vs wife, car house,kids etc

CCC

I actually don't fully understand what you wrote, beyond the first line.

However, replying only to your first line, I disagree. I see younger people doing a lot more partying. A retired person who doesn't and never did care for bars, bar girls or alcohol doesn't have to get married or support a girlfriend. A young person can get married, have kids and have a lot of expenses that the retired single guy won't have.

The retired guy may be less likely to have any debt. I'm forever reading on here about guys making car payments in their wives' names.

I have no commitments, no debt, and an occasional date isn't all that expensive. I don't think I "have" to spend more money for the same lifestyle as a younger man. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about money.

Nice but for an old single man in Thailand without a health insurance life can also become more expensive than that of a younger expat with a family in Thailand certainly for the experts on this website calculating there expenses based on beer money and punani. Edited by Kudel

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

here we go again,,

young and old,,lol

CCC

However, replying only to your first line, I disagree. I see younger people doing a lot more partying. A retired person who doesn't and never did care for bars, bar girls or alcohol doesn't have to get married or support a girlfriend. A young person can get married, have kids and have a lot of expenses that the retired single guy won't have.

The retired guy may be less likely to have any debt. I'm forever reading on here about guys making car payments in their wives' names.

I have no commitments, no debt, and an occasional date isn't all that expensive. I don't think I "have" to spend more money for the same lifestyle as a younger man. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about money.

Nice but for an old single man in Thailand without a health insurance life can also become more expensive than that of a younger expat with a family in Thailand certainly for the experts on this website calculating there expenses based on beer money and punani.

A lot of old single men come here because the health care is so good and reasonably priced. I have had three operations here for less than what the supplementary insurance would have cost in the West.

I have raised a family of four and no way is one old man is more of a risk or expense. The cost of raising a child in the US now is 7,714,560 baht. I would bet the cost of putting the average old man in the ground is way less than 8 million baht.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/08/15/2471981/cost-of-raising-a-child/

Edited by historyprof
  • Like 2

, i prefer to go to the clubs to meet non-working girls.

In what club are there non-working girls? Hmm...

"ex. I work in Big C, on the weekends I go to Insomina and when I sleep with you I hope you will pay for my "taxi"....hehe...non-working girls....cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Mate you really need to get out of Nana and Asoke if you don't think there's any clubs with non working girl.

You're basically saying that every girl who goes out clubbing in BKK is a whore?

Clueless.

All over BKK are clubs where regular girls go, some clubs have farangs there, some not so many / no farangs.

Try Thong Lor, Ekkamai, RCA, Ratchada etc etc etc.

I guess if your a sex pat who never leaves Nana Plaza or Cobwoy this might will be news to you.

wink.png

, i prefer to go to the clubs to meet non-working girls.

In what club are there non-working girls? Hmm...

"ex. I work in Big C, on the weekends I go to Insomina and when I sleep with you I hope you will pay for my "taxi"....hehe...non-working girls....cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Mate you really need to get out of Nana and Asoke if you don't think there's any clubs with non working girl.

You're basically saying that every girl who goes out clubbing in BKK is a whore?

Clueless.

All over BKK are clubs where regular girls go, some clubs have farangs there, some not so many / no farangs.

Try Thong Lor, Ekkamai, RCA, Ratchada etc etc etc.

I guess if your a sex pat who never leaves Nana Plaza or Cobwoy this might will be news to you.

but of course you do know both of know you are responding to a an outed troll and out and out bare faced liar who was banned...wink.png

but comment on your remarks even clubs you mention ARE full of "hookers"....and some even have day jobs, but will turn a trick or two whether Thai or farang to finance the latest I-phone etc, of course I am not suggesting that every girl who goes out clubbing does this...but please dont suggest pay for play only exists in Nana or Cowboy....just because they are not sitting in beer bar shouting heeello hansome man...doesnt mean they are not turning tricks...

so one could suggest your the one who is clueless....but nice to see your back on form with your hooker fixation...

• Like 1

Getting back to cost of living, i lived in BKK for 9 mths last year, im not a big drinker but when im in the mood i will have a few, i dated inbettween gfs lived in a nice but modest apartment, etc etc, ate out often (buying your own and cooking worked out more expensive but i prefered to cook more often than not) contributed regularly to cab fair home for the fair ones, used the BTS or MRT often and used taxis with fair ones, i shopped often but was rather choosey as i had lots of time up my sleeve, i kept a summery of my expenses and they came to average 33,000B a mth.

What wasnt included were my trips outside of the country which was 4 times in that 9 mths, i pretty much lived as i would have had i been home.

Thai girls arnt so expensive to date all the ones ive known prefer to eat there own food even if they dont mind western food, decent thai restaurants dinner for 2 and drinks well under 1000, ( and im not talking about places like sizzlers) most of my dates didnt drink booze and were more than happy on shopping trips to eat at thai food courts, in fact many a time i would recive a frown if they thought i was spending to much.

One of the keys to a cheaper exsistance is to change your style of eating, for me it wasnt hard i was full vegitarian within 3 mths due to the heat turning me off anything flesh.

Naive to think that high-end clubs don't play host to girls who want someone else to finance their designer lifestyle, be it handbags or drugs. Happens all over the world - why would Bangkok somehow be different ? I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush, but it's not hard to find girls who see a white face as a walking ATM, regardless of the decor or their 'day job'.

Bahtbus Daily 50 bt

Special Dinner menu at Tara Court Hotel 500bt including the dirnk.

Spending for drinks for the night.... 500 bt

Two ladies per week 2500bt

Tesco Lotus(for breakie foods and etc)... 2500 a month.

Condo Electric and Water Bill .... 1.300 bt a month

Maintenance for my two condo 2,500 a month

Flight home once a year. 3,666 a month

Full health insurance ... 4166 bt a month

Miscellaneous... 5,000 bt a month.

That comes to 58,132 Bt a month. That is my estimate target althrough i have stayed three months before. Bear in mind that i have no partner.

Naive to think that high-end clubs don't play host to girls who want someone else to finance their designer lifestyle, be it handbags or drugs. Happens all over the world - why would Bangkok somehow be different ? I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush, but it's not hard to find girls who see a white face as a walking ATM, regardless of the decor or their 'day job'.

I don't think anyone actually suggested high end clubs didn't have girls like that.

Of course they do but, unlike the lower end clubs, a far smaller percentage would be "receptive" to a P4P arrangement and even then, probably not on the same evening as meeting you; leaving the joint with an old, overweight white man in front of her friends would be a fate worse than death.

95% of the women at those low end clubs are only available to the white walking ATMs because the Thai guys aren't interested and, even if they were, they most certainly wouldn't pay the ฿3,000 your average farang's used to coughing up.

but of course you do know both of know you are responding to a an outed troll and out and out bare faced liar who was banned...20x20xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.Tg-YB9NPfX.w

but comment on your remarks even clubs you mention ARE full of "hookers"....and some even have day jobs, but will turn a trick or two whether Thai or farang to finance the latest I-phone etc, of course I am not suggesting that every girl who goes out clubbing does this...but please dont suggest pay for play only exists in Nana or Cowboy....just because they are not sitting in beer bar shouting heeello hansome man...doesnt mean they are not turning tricks...

so one could suggest your the one who is clueless....but nice to see your back on form with your hooker fixation...

Well I had no idea he was a troll.

Seriously you'll be hard pressed to find a girl who is p4p in the clubs of Thong Lor, Ekkamai etc.

I'm sure there are plenty there who are financed by rich boyfriends and lavished with gifts and cash by them but it's not the same as being a hooker is it?

I'm fairly confident you're not going to roll into these clubs and easily be able to find a girl who will <deleted> you later that night in exchange for cash.

Why don't you go try it, see what happens, then report back? :)

Sure like I say bet there's plenty of them in there that don't really have much money themselves but thanks to their looks they've snagged a well off boyfriend who buys them whatever they ask for.

Just have to see some of the cars being parked out side some of the clubs in Thong Lor / Ekkamai to know there's some wealthy guys go there.

That's not the same as being a hooker in my eyes. If you wandered up to her in the club and offered her 2k for a <deleted> she'll likely slap you then get her boyfriend and his mates or security to kick your head in.

So for someone to say that all clubs in Bangkok have hookers is stretching the truth a bit. I don't believe that most clubs in BKK have hookers available for sale to anyone who walks in. It's confined to very specific clubs in certain areas which there are a lot of but still be in the overall minority IMO.

Of course they do but, unlike the lower end clubs, a far smaller percentage would be "receptive" to a P4P arrangement and even then, probably not on the same evening as meeting you; leaving the joint with an old, overweight white man in front of her friends would be a fate worse than death.

95% of the women at those low end clubs are only available to the white walking ATMs because the Thai guys aren't interested and, even if they were, they most certainly wouldn't pay the ฿3,000 your average farang's used to coughing up.

Indeed.

Even when a guy obviously isn't a sex tourist, is young, well dressed, lives here etc a lot of girls even if they like him will not entertain the idea of going home with him that night from fear of what their friends will think.

It's just not the done thing among 'good' Thai girls. Having one night stands especially with farang would be social suicide for her.

She'll take your number and meet you later in the week when there's no prying eyes instead and save face and her reputation at the same time.

And I agree that most of the women available to farangs are ones Thai guys have little interest in. Same the world over. Most girls in near every country in the world prefer to date a local guy than a foreigner IME.

Not P4P - opportunism. If a woman was silly enough to buy me drinks, would I say no ? Would I object if she bought me the stereo gear I've wanted for several years ? Would any of that mean she 'owned' me ? Nope - I'd still look at other women, but then I'm not a married man. Horses for courses.

I don't think anyone actually suggested high end clubs didn't have girls like that.

You did know that the Thai BGs pay Thai men and not the reverse. I thought everybody knew that. It's included in Thai 101 I think.

Sure but being an opportunist is not the same as being a hooker.

I had a friend who was bisexual. He was a good looking young man who owned a dive shop in Pattaya. He had a BG girlfriend who dated a singer and dancer at an Issan club in Patts who was the gik of the dive shop owner. So the dive shop guy gave 1000 baht to the BG who gave it to her BF the singer and dancer who bought presents for his gik the dive shop owner with the money. I never figured out what to call anyone in the arrangement.

You did know that the Thai BGs pay Thai men and not the reverse. I thought everybody knew that. It's included in Thai 101 I think.

This is true, i was at such karaoke bar, and even negotiated with mama-san about working there,

barfine for me was 700, of which i got half, plus whatever deal i would make with the girl barfining me.

I'm not sure how many times this thread has been floated on TV, but it must be in the hundreds of times. It always goes the same way, those that take pride on how cheap they can live vs those that take pride in how much they can spend. Then comes the argument concerning age and motives for being in Thailand. It all gets rather tiring after a while. It's a "how long is a piece of string" debate. There are too many variables that come into play regarding a person's budget, lifestyle, history and expectations. One person can live quite happily on 30K per month, while another can't get by on less that 150K per month. So why argue about it? Let's put it this way, there is a reason that the Thai government requires a retiree to have 65K per month in income when applying for a retirement extension. As the anecdotal evidence reveals, a foreigner can live quite comfortably on that amount per month, including lodging costs.

I can't say I did know that but then again, I don't knock about with bargirls.

I leave it to those more well-versed than I in these matters to confirm or refute your statement.

I can't say I did know that but then again, I don't knock about with bargirls.

I leave it to those more well-versed than I in these matters to confirm or refute your statement.

Since you didn't I'll explain. They all have at least one husband and sometimes a gik and BF too. Thai women can multitask at many things including men. Some have one Thai husband at home in Nakon Nowhere and another in Patts and would you believe they go out after work to male clubs and pay Thai men to dance with them?

Anyone who says Thai women aren't talented dosn't know Thailand.

its noticeable that you see few older elderly expats around ,this could mean they went to an early grave or packed up and went home after being picked clean by a thai women.

so whatever your budget it wont help you live to a ripe old age in LOS...

here we go again,,

young and old,,lol

CCC

Nice but for an old single man in Thailand without a health insurance life can also become more expensive than that of a younger expat with a family in Thailand certainly for the experts on this website calculating there expenses based on beer money and punani.

A lot of old single men come here because the health care is so good and reasonably priced. I have had three operations here for less than what the supplementary insurance would have cost in the West.

I have raised a family of four and no way is one old man is more of a risk or expense. The cost of raising a child in the US now is 7,714,560 baht. I would bet the cost of putting the average old man in the ground is way less than 8 million baht.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/08/15/2471981/cost-of-raising-a-child/

Maybe one of the reasons that reasing a child in Thailand is cheaper is because the schools are so crappy,have you seen the prices for private schools in Thailand?Many woman married to farangs have thai children from former relationships and want nothing else then to have them educated in the west .

And health insurance and medical care is way cheaper in my country then Thailand lots of medical tourists from Holland and the UK for years.Even obama care is based on the health care system from my country.

And after some of the replies i have read on this topic i'm convinced that many of the posters are not parent material.

This thread is confusing as hellbiggrin.png

To summarize for a newbie novice...

Given that you aren't a 'newbie novice', I'll have a shot anyway:

1. Most TVers claim to be able to live on anything from 15 to 60K-baht per month : some need more, but they seem to be in the minority

2. The first hurdle is differentiating between 'holiday mode' and reality : anyone who cant do that might as well delete that spreadsheet from their hard drive straight up.

3. Further to point 2, anyone who wants to live like a Farang - food, accommodation, books, electronics etc - is going to have to pay accordingly

4. Nightlife - be it P4P or otherwise - is going to be the single biggest threat to most budgets

Same old same old - learn the language, get out of the Farang ghetto, learn to live like a Thai and pray you never actually have to. Better yet, pray for a quick end to the abject misery of this life so you can come back as a young, handsome man with all the answers. ;)

Thai women (and men) have shorter legs compared to their body length. That is common in all east-asian people.

This different body/legs ratio is well documented in scientific research.

who and when was this well documented scentific research conducted ?....1940's in Germany ?

But I must say I am very impressed with "Spade" with his most recent post....only referencing 18 hour drinking binges and his dates this time...no reference to hookers...keep it up old chap...whistling.gif

You aren't very bright, are you?

These kind of researches are usually done by bio-mechanical researchers who study athletes mainly, as in what determines/helps athletic performance.

For example: why do West Africans excel in sprinting, why do East Africans excel in longer running competitions, etc.

Measuring the ratio between the legs and total height is a very simple procedure, I am sure even you could handle it after a short demonstration.

Thai women (and men) have shorter legs compared to their body length. That is common in all east-asian people.

This different body/legs ratio is well documented in scientific research.

who and when was this well documented scentific research conducted ?....1940's in Germany ?

But I must say I am very impressed with "Spade" with his most recent post....only referencing 18 hour drinking binges and his dates this time...no reference to hookers...keep it up old chap...whistling.gif

You aren't very bright, are you?

These kind of researches are usually done by bio-mechanical researchers who study athletes mainly, as in what determines/helps athletic performance.

For example: why do West Africans excel in sprinting, why do East Africans excel in longer running competitions, etc.

Measuring the ratio between the legs and total height is a very simple procedure, I am sure even you could handle it after a short demonstration.

Oh dear, another sense humour disadvantaged TV poster...my dear boy should I have put smiley at the end of the sentence to give you hint the remark was made tongue in cheek ?...rolleyes.gif

As to your two questions posed...I could answer...but I may run the risk of being banned...tongue.png

To take this topic back on track, I spent 35,000B last month on all spending + rent and bills and that included a visa extension. I was also out quite a lot, ate a few nice restaurants, drank far too much and took far too many trips to Tops (going to supermarkets when hungry is a bad idea).

Just call me Cheap (and very happy) Charlie. wink.png

Edited by TheSpade