Mafia rule: Patong Kingpin points finger at officials

Lite Beer

Mafia rule: Patong Kingpin points finger at officials
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_Preechavude_Prab_Keesin_son_o

Preechavude 'Prab' Keesin, son of Patong Mayor Pian Keesin, fights back against DSI allegations. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: Preechavude 'Prab' Keesin, son of Patong Mayor Pian Keesin, has lashed out at the Department of Special Investigation (DSI), calling on them to tackle corruption among government officers and the ranks of law enforcement officials.

Mr Prab and Mayor Pian were among the 11 parties named by the DSI as “mafia” operating illegal taxis on the island. The result was a flurry of lawsuits accusing the DSI of defamation .

“What definition of mafia do you think they are using?” asked Mr Preechavude.

“Our taxi organization is a legally registered, incorporated organization. I do not deny that some taxi drivers in Patong do not obey the law, but those people are only a small fraction of the whole. Do you call that mafia?

“We should stop playing innocent. We all know who is behind illegal businesses in Phuket – it is those who can choose whether to arrest people or to let them go,” Mr Preechavude alleged.

Mr Preechavude argued that those with the power of the law were ultimately responsible for allowing illegal activities to continue.

“Let’s be honest, we all know who the real mafia is… it is those with the power of the law at their disposal – and the only ones with that are government officials. I am not saying all the officials are bad, but they are the ones who can abuse their power to get money,” Mr Preechavude stated.

“I am a businessman; the most I can do is pay the people we deal with to reach an agreement – and the people who receive that money are glad that we pay them,” he stated.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Mafia-rule-Patong-Kingpin-points-finger-at-officials-21992.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-17

• Like 1

“Let’s be honest, we all know who the real mafia is… it is those with the power of the law at their disposal"

Appears we have a dispute between the families. There is only room for one Godfather and someone has to go.

“Let’s be honest, we all know who the real mafia is… it is those with the power of the law at their disposal – and the only ones with that are government officials. I am not saying all the officials are bad, but they are the ones who can abuse their power to get money,”

umm.... your the son of the MAYOR OF PATONG.... need I say more? sounds like your well connected to me.

As always the solution is simple. Check his assets and see if they match his tax records. If not, send him to jail.

My guess is the under the table money the taxis pay his "organisation" to get and to keep their license is not registered anywhere :-)

Interesting though that he describes the Phuket police as mafia. I agree with him, but I have a feeling the police bosses will be unhappy about such a statement from a public figure like mr. Prab.

• Like 1

“Let’s be honest, we all know who the real mafia is… it is those with the power of the law at their disposal"

Appears we have a dispute between the families. There is only room for one Godfather and someone has to go.

To say he has ruffled the feathers is an understatement I would say

Kinda thinking we will hopefully start seeing back biting going on !!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

As always the solution is simple. Check his assets and see if they match his tax records. If not, send him to jail.

My guess is the under the table money the taxis pay his "organisation" to get and to keep their license is not registered anywhere :-)

Interesting though that he describes the Phuket police as mafia. I agree with him, but I have a feeling the police bosses will be unhappy about such a statement from a public figure like mr. Prab.

i'd be surprised if he keeps anything at all in his name, thats what accountants are hired for

He's got a point, but he would well know who they are, any particular reason why he can't name and shame them.

He doesn't want to get sued.. biggrin.png

Or Shot! Talking like that about the revered BIB, and "politicians" - uhhh, like his father? - could be hazardous to his health. cheesy.gif

Next week's headlines: Son of Patong Mayor found hanging from tree!. "The son of the Patong Mayor was found hanging from a tree this morning with his hands tied behind his back,along with multiple knife and bullet wounds. Police determine it was suicide."

whistling.gif

• Like 2

Maybe there are people living on the outskirts of Siberia’s Krasnojarsk or the Picairn Islands who don’t know who runs the Island.

According to this guy there are only two ways to solve the problem between the “families.” A classical Chicago style barbershop shootout or the new Thai way in a “democratic” election by the islanders.

wow, I am surprised he has come out and said that. That is a pretty clear admission to bribery of government officials. If they (DSI) keep pressurising him, maybe he will name them outright, out of frustration. If he names them, that would be interesting, but his days might become numbered. They might be already numbered .....

I don't understand how hard this is. "Hi we are here from the DSI. We want to know how much money you have paid and to who(with proof of course). If not, you will go to jail for obstruction and all your illegally obtained assets will be redistributed to the people of Phuket." This could be settled in a matter of days with 1 good investigator and a team of computer analysts.

• Like 1

There needs to be more clarity here instead of just fingers pointed. post-4641-1156694005.gif.pagespeed.ce.gy

Agree with you YGMB. It will remain to be seen how this pans out in the media and judicial system, if it reaches that point. I am amazed that I have overlooked the expertise that so many posters have in the areas of Thai Law and the Government/Political System. Some of the comments are astounding.

However, generalities and unsupported accusations mean little and I suspect they are more opinion and supposition than actual fact, which may never raise to the surface.

Just my 2-Bahts worth.

"God grant me the serenity to except the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference".