Australian Partner Visa + Dependent child questions

Hey Biggles ... great news that your Partner got her Visa ... thumbsup.gif

We are in the process of gathering the documents for MissFarmGirl now.

I'll be working on a 4 - 6 month turn-around time ... home for Christmas I hope!

We also hope for Christmas! Goodluck :) we are submitting in 2 weeks....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

We submitted ours last week and was told wait about 3 months for call from case officer,and overall could take up to 12 months.Although was told in meeting I had earlier with embassy that because we have been married for 4 years with 2 oz citizen kids that it would be a lot quicker

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

David and co,

Dont want to be too negative but I have two friends going through the process now, Both applications were lodge over 7 months ago and still they are waiting.

Things have certainly got longer since our application in 2012 took just over 3 months.

Good luck

Wazzi

• Like 1

David and co,

Dont want to be too negative but I have two friends going through the process now, Both applications were lodge over 7 months ago and still they are waiting.

Things have certainly got longer since our application in 2012 took just over 3 months.

Good luck

Wazzi

I'm currently assisting a Thai national with Australian citizenship in Australia. His Thai de facto partner entered Australia on a Visitor visa and is applying for a 820 visa onshore. Bridging visa has been granted (within 24 hours of application), but processing time is 12/18 months for granting of 820 visa. The paperwork supporting the application, for electronic upload, is horrendous . They have a child born in Thailand who entered Oz on a visitor visa and who will soon be granted citizenship by descent.

One of the challenges is conflicting guidance provided by Immigration staff, both over the phone and face to face

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

May I submit a question within this topic as it seems in line with the general direction of what's being discussed?

My Thai wife and I were married in Thailand in 2007. We mainly live in Australia, have longish trips back to Thailand each year, she has Australian Residency.

Wife has Sole Custody of her 12 year old son, as granted by the Ampur in Thailand as the ex husband departed the scene a long time back, not having any contact with the son who is presently living with Wife's parents.

We did want the son to get some grounding with Thai education up to year 6, which finishes this year and now would like to start the process of bringing him here to live with us.

I'm in the main looking for advice on how to now commence the Migration process, thus the present best way to do this.

I guess what I'm mainly wanting advice on, is whether to commence the paperwork here in Melbourne, I'm a 10 minute drive from Dandenong Immigration, or to do whatever is necessary back in Thailand during next visit? We have most of the documentation that needed translating to hand, which we did in Chaengwattana a few months back, but it was too early to start the application at that time.

For memory there is more cost in doing it here on-shore, but is it worth the extra cost, rather than to go through the process in Thailand?

In a "Nutshell" are there members here who perhaps have had experience with either method of On or Off Shore recently?

I imagine I would not get any meaningful information from a visit to Immigration here!

May I submit a question within this topic as it seems in line with the general direction of what's being discussed?

My Thai wife and I were married in Thailand in 2007. We mainly live in Australia, have longish trips back to Thailand each year, she has Australian Residency.

Wife has Sole Custody of her 12 year old son, as granted by the Ampur in Thailand as the ex husband departed the scene a long time back, not having any contact with the son who is presently living with Wife's parents.

We did want the son to get some grounding with Thai education up to year 6, which finishes this year and now would like to start the process of bringing him here to live with us.

I'm in the main looking for advice on how to now commence the Migration process, thus the present best way to do this.

I guess what I'm mainly wanting advice on, is whether to commence the paperwork here in Melbourne, I'm a 10 minute drive from Dandenong Immigration, or to do whatever is necessary back in Thailand during next visit? We have most of the documentation that needed translating to hand, which we did in Chaengwattana a few months back, but it was too early to start the application at that time.

For memory there is more cost in doing it here on-shore, but is it worth the extra cost, rather than to go through the process in Thailand?

In a "Nutshell" are there members here who perhaps have had experience with either method of On or Off Shore recently?

I imagine I would not get any meaningful information from a visit to Immigration here!

As a starting point you can now apply online via establishing an "Immi Account" and upload all supporting doco, the advantage would be to track the application progress, receive emails from Immi and so on, rather than relying on phone/postal mail. You would need to cross check, but I believe offshore you would apply for Visa 101 & onshore 802 - offshore visa fee is approx A$1.2k cheaper

Thanks "Simple 1" much appreciated.

But you can lodge here and pay via cc off shore I thought? Chances are you guys will need to be in Thailand at some point to help the lad with hospital checks etc, so you may as well get everything ready here as much as you can, then do the other parts in Thailand, then go visit vfs. Don't forget your Aust NATIONAL police clearance for yourself fish hooks. Part of looking after a minor.

Thanks "Simple 1" much appreciated.

But you can lodge here and pay via cc off shore I thought? Chances are you guys will need to be in Thailand at some point to help the lad with hospital checks etc, so you may as well get everything ready here as much as you can, then do the other parts in Thailand, then go visit vfs. Don't forget your Aust NATIONAL police clearance for yourself fish hooks. Part of looking after a minor.

Yep, just to clarify I meant the child being offshore/onshore at time of visa application. Once applying via the Immi Account it details all the doco required to support an application with a 'help' function

As a starting point you can now apply online via establishing an "Immi Account" and upload all supporting doco, the advantage would be to track the application progress, receive emails from Immi and so on, rather than relying on phone/postal mail. You would need to cross check, but I believe offshore you would apply for Visa 101 & onshore 802 - offshore visa fee is approx A$1.2k cheaper

Double post.

Edited by krisb

• 2 weeks later...

Where to commence the Partner Visa Application?

First thing to consider is where will your wife be when the Visa is to granted?

--------------

If you are in Australia, your wife applies for the 'Partner visa (subclasses 820 and 801)'

Information link is here ... https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/801-820.aspx

"You must be in Australia when you apply and also when this visa is decided."

--------------

If you are in Thailand, your wife applies for the 'Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309)'

Information link is here ... https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/309-100.aspx

'You must be outside Australia when you apply and also when the Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) is granted. You can be in or outside Australia when Partner visa (subclass 100) is granted.'

Hospital Checks can be done in either Australia or Thailand.

"All applicants for permanent visas, ... must be assessed against the health requirement."

Here ... http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/22health.htm

Further ...

"Who will examine me?

Health examinations are conducted by qualified physicians and radiologists nominated by the department.
The costs of these examinations are paid by you directly to the physicians or clinics undertaking the examinations.
There may be additional costs if further tests or couriers are required.
If you are overseas
– please contact your closest panelphysician.
For details see
www.immi.gov.au/contacts/panel-doctors/
If you are in Australia, you should contact Medibank Health Solutions.
In Australian country areas, you should contact the nearest Medibank Health Solutions office to find your nearest
Approved Medical Practitioner.
You can contact Medibank Health Solutions on 1300 361 046 or Medibank Health
Solutions at www.medibankhealth.com.au"

From ... http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1071i.pdf

If your wife applies in Thailand, you will receive a list of 'approved' Hospitals/Clinics after you lodge the application. From memory there are 2 approved in Bangkok and then various location across Thailand. The spoken about cost is Bt 3,000.

In Australia, I have no idea.

Then there is the 'Police check'. We just did that one in Bangkok and to my knowledge, the only place you can do it in Thailand.

post-104736-0-54471100-1399672646_thumb. post-104736-0-25379000-1399672653_thumb.

Before you go for the Police check, ring them and confirm some details as there is strong evidience that, what is being presented (currently) on their website, is out of date with their current requirements.

How you get the Police check while residing in Australia? ... I don't know and would love to hear from those who have obtained it out of country.

As simple1 in an above post describes that there is significient savings to be made by applying in Thailand rather then Australia. In the order of $1,000.

If you do decide to lodge the application in Thailand, you can prepay for it in AUD in Australia over the internet and save, from memory about Bt 6,000 - Bt 8,000.

In Thailand (and I presume in Australia also) they don't take the applicants passport so, after the applicant is still free to travel.

Hope that helps a little.

The information is current as we lodged an application recently.

• Like 1

David asked..

How you get the Police check while residing in Australia? ... I don't know and would love to hear from those who have obtained it out of country.

My wife was living in Australia when she got the police check done. We did however visit the same cop shop as David in Bkk about a year and a half earlier to get clearance for a fiancee visa. I also think that is the only cop shop able to get the clearance.

http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) can only provide National Police Checks for:

• residents of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Jervis Bay Territory and external Commonwealth territories
  • people seeking employment with the Commonwealth Government
  • people requiring a check under Commonwealth legislation
  • Australian immigration purposes
  • where the applicant resides overseas
  • overseas employment
  • overseas adoption
  • visa applications for overseas travel.
  • Like 1

If your wife applies in Thailand, you will receive a list of 'approved' Hospitals/Clinics after you lodge the application. From memory there are 2 approved in Bangkok and then various location across Thailand. The spoken about cost is Bt 3,000.

In Australia, I have no idea.

Cost in Australia for the medicals is around the $360AUD (10,000Bt) mark, so much cheaper to get done in Thailand.

I assume you mean a Thai Police Clearance Certificate, you can get these done in Australia by going though the Thai Embassy in Canberra or one consulates.

Information on what is required can be found on their websites.

Edited by Surin13

I do have another question regarding the multiple 12 month visa. How is the 12 months calculated. Man partner will be coming back in June and we are towards the end of the visa (11 July last date to arrive) I am saying as it's a 12 month she needs to leave before 11 July..she is saying that when she arrives in June she can stay for 3 months??? I must be struggling, can anyone make it crystal for me. Cheers

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Mate, I read your post a few times above and I do find it difficult to understand.

If a person has recieved a Multi-entry 12 month Tourist visa it means that a person can enter Australia a number of times over a 12 month period.

The maximinum time for each stay is 3 months.

The Visa starts on the date of the first entry into Australia

Technicially a person could enter Australia, visit for 3 months, leave, return the next day, stay for 3 months, leave and do that 3 more times.

However, having a Visa is not the same as the right of entry into Australia.

The Immigration Officer may consider the person is just 'Visa running' if the above is done and decline entry. Nothing is guaranted.

Technicially, the visa has a validity for 15 months as it is possible to enter the day before the Visa expires and stay for 3 months.

An example of how someone used it was.

Came to Australia, stayed 2 weeks, went back to Thailand for a few months

Came back to Australia, stayed (almost) 3 months, went back to Thailand for a month or two

Came back to Australia, stayed (almost) 3 months, went back to Thailand for a month or two

Came back to Australia a week or two before the Visa was due to expire, stayed (almost) 3 months, went back to Thailand.

Remember this is a thread about the 'Partner Visa' ... maybe send me a PM if you need some more help.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back to the OP for an update. After being told 16 weeks, then 8 weeks more, sponsor emailed them after 25 weeks and they replied saying the decision maker was working through apps lodged one week before and to wait two more weeks. That was spot on and she and son have got visa and are travelling next week.

Two further bits of info

1) They were referred to a support organisation which was able to arrange cheaper one way airfare through Qantas with a 40kg baggage allowance and assistance at both airports

2) The headmistress of the village primary school came around and saw the boy's great grandmother making a case for him not to go, along the lines of, he'll grow up to be dumb because he cant speak English. Sheesh, sheer ignorance from someone whose school has a high dropout rate and the great majority don't get past year three of high school, I had to restrain myself from going to see her. He has an offer of 500 hours tuition, plus I think the Australian system should be able to get him up to speed. I don't think it will be a doddle but I hope that in three or four years time he can come back and I will take him to see her

Edited by Bluetongue
  • Like 1

Back to the OP for an update. After being told 16 weeks, then 8 weeks more, sponsor emailed them after 25 weeks and they replied saying the decision maker was working through apps lodged one week before and to wait two more weeks. That was spot on and she and son have got visa and are travelling next week.

Two further bits of info

1) They were referred to a support organisation which was able to arrange cheaper one way airfare through Qantas with a 40kg baggage allowance and assistance at both airports

2) The headmistress of the village primary school came around and saw the boy's great grandmother making a case for him not to go, along the lines of, he'll grow up to be dumb because he cant speak English. Sheesh, sheer ignorance from someone whose school has a high dropout rate and the great majority don't get past year three of high school, I had to restrain myself from going to see her. He has an offer of 500 hours tuition, plus I think the Australian system should be able to get him up to speed. I don't think it will be a doddle but I hope that in three or four years time he can come back and I will take him to see her

The boy should be able to attend a specialsed ESL unit at a school in your area; contact Dept of Education in your State. My stepson did not speak a word of English when he arrived in Oz (aged 12), within a few years he had a reasonable command of spoken English. Took a few more years for reading and writing, but he was lazy

• Like 1

Any more info on that 'support organisation'?

Any more info on that 'support organisation'?

Sorry couldn't remember the name a time of posting.

"Having been granted visas to enter Australia, you must make your own travel arrangements and pay your own airfares. However, you may be eligible for a special reduced one-way economy fare, as well as a more generous baggage allowance.

These concessions, which may be available to prospective migrants through the International Organization for Migration, are the result of negotiations with a large number of international carriers on designated routes.

To receive more information on International Organization for Migration concessional fares, baggage allowance and eligibility criteria, please contact International Organization for Migration by email at [email protected] or visit their website at www.iom.int "

• Like 1