entering Thailand with a passport with only a few weeks validity?

AYJAYDEE

Persistent attempts to either "have the last word" or to "prove one is right" are tedious and boring.

Such posts also fill the tread and make for difficult reading for those interested in the original topic.

so you would have the guy arrive and find he cant enter?? that is the original topic. the foreign office says he needs 6 months on his passport. if youre bored, leave.

I too have entered with very little validity left on my passport.

Some people seem to derive pleasure from trolling and being deliberately argumentative.

button it hotshot. i was turned back in feb 2013 with 5 months and one week left on my passport.

Some people seem to derive pleasure from trolling and being deliberately argumentative.

button it hotshot. i was turned back in feb 2013 with 5 months and one week left on my passport.

Thai Visa Information

Types of Visa 30-Day Visa Exemption New Visa Rules Visa Extension & Visa Runs

Passport Holders Who Can Enter Thailand Without Visa Thailand Visa News

First of all, the most basic requirement for a trip to Thailand is a passport still valid for at least six months, counting from the date of your arrival in the Kingdom. So if you plan a holiday in Thailand and the expiry date of your passport should be within the next six months, please apply for a new passport asap.

When in Thailand, please do not overstay your visa. Always check the expiry date of your current visa and your relevant entry stamp ("admitted until").

If you make it to the airport or any other land border checkpoint (and your "overstay" is no longer than six weeks) the overstay charge is only 500 Baht per day (maximum fine 20,000 Baht). If you should, however, get arrested without a valid visa during your stay in the country, you would be considered an illegal immigrant, face deportation and harsh fines. New Overstay Regulations

Types of Visa

Tourist Visa

Business - Non-Immigrant Visa "B"

Retirement - Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long Stay)

Education - Non-Immigrant Visa "ED"

Marriage - Non-Immigrant Visa "O"

Other types of Non-Immigrant visas include e.g. Investment and diplomatic visa.

30-Day Visa Exemption (New Rules!)

In general, foreigners who wish to travel to Thailand and stay for longer than 30 days are required to obtain a visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate prior to their visit.

However, nationals of most European, many North and South American, as well as other Asian countries, who meet "visa exemption" requirements and wish to stay in Thailand for not exceeding 30 days for "tourism purposes" only, do not require a visa when e

The fact is Thailand has not enforced that rule for more than a decade for most travelers from major countries but it only become semi-official recently when it was dropped from the IATA rules for first world travelers. It is still listed for smaller countries however.

Undesirables are often refused entry regardless of their passport validity! smile.png

Thai Visa Information

Types of Visa 30-Day Visa Exemption New Visa Rules Visa Extension & Visa Runs

Passport Holders Who Can Enter Thailand Without Visa Thailand Visa News

First of all, the most basic requirement for a trip to Thailand is a passport still valid for at least six months, counting from the date of your arrival in the Kingdom. So if you plan a holiday in Thailand and the expiry date of your passport should be within the next six months, please apply for a new passport asap.

When in Thailand, please do not overstay your visa. Always check the expiry date of your current visa and your relevant entry stamp ("admitted until").

If you make it to the airport or any other land border checkpoint (and your "overstay" is no longer than six weeks) the overstay charge is only 500 Baht per day (maximum fine 20,000 Baht). If you should, however, get arrested without a valid visa during your stay in the country, you would be considered an illegal immigrant, face deportation and harsh fines. New Overstay Regulations

Types of Visa

Tourist Visa

Business - Non-Immigrant Visa "B"

Retirement - Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long Stay)

Education - Non-Immigrant Visa "ED"

Marriage - Non-Immigrant Visa "O"

Other types of Non-Immigrant visas include e.g. Investment and diplomatic visa.

30-Day Visa Exemption (New Rules!)

In general, foreigners who wish to travel to Thailand and stay for longer than 30 days are required to obtain a visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate prior to their visit.

However, nationals of most European, many North and South American, as well as other Asian countries, who meet "visa exemption" requirements and wish to stay in Thailand for not exceeding 30 days for "tourism purposes" only, do not require a visa when e

http://www.learn4good.com/travel/thailand_visa.htm

Not by Thai immigration I am sure. I think it was the airline that refused. With a little knowledge you could of asked for a supervisor to confirm that there was no longer a 6 month requirement for your home country for entry without a visa.

Have you checked this website http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/"]http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/ to see what they are for you.

Edited by ubonjoe

Do not try flying into Thailand with a passport validity of less than 6 months.

This July 29th, 2013, I flew in from the US with a buddy. He had a US passport that was valid but expiring in May. He was denied entry and put back on the same plane that he was brought in on.

Maybe age had something to do with it as he was only 23 but still..

This July 29th, 2013, I flew in from the US with a buddy. He had a US passport that was valid but expiring in May.

So he with had an expired passport (by 2 months) or his passport was valid for 10 months (more than six months beyond any normal visa entry)?

Was the entry in May and expiration in July?

Do not try flying into Thailand with a passport validity of less than 6 months.

This July 29th, 2013, I flew in from the US with a buddy. He had a US passport that was valid but expiring in May. He was denied entry and put back on the same plane that he was brought in on.

Maybe age had something to do with it as he was only 23 but still..

Using dates posted his passport had already expired.

Lot of people fly in with less than six months without a problem as long it is longer than allowed stay.

The only thing more to this story is that "I think" he used his 2nd US passport (for visiting Israel) and it was expired as it's only valid for 1-2 years but the main one still had validity.

Either way what a dummy.

I didn't get the details as it's not exactly safe to argue with immigration officials when you're at their mercy. So I kept my distance and eventually I got an email about what "likely happened" at least according to him.

If you work immigration at Swampy, you would know more than me!

Edit: Maybe it was racial profiling - since he looks like an Indian guy. Who the hell knows.

Edited by JyakuLove

This has just been downloaded from the Royal Thai Embassy Web site in Canberra - note that it requires 6 months passport validity. The airline could refuse to carry you as it could be fined and if you are rejected at DMK it has to take you back to where you came from. You could fly with Thai and land at BKK and stay in transit and not go through any Thai immigration procedures.

Tourist Visa Exemption

Australian passport holders (and nationals from 50 designated countries) may travel to Thailand for the purpose of tourism without a visa. They will be permitted to stay for a period not exceed 30 days on each visit provided they arrive by air and have a confirmed ticket out of Thailand (by air, land, or sea) within 30 days. But those entering by land at the immigration checkpoints from neighboring countries, will be allowed to stay for 15 days on each entry.

Please note as follow:

1. Passport must have at least 6 months validity upon entry.

2. Visitors who enter the Kingdom without visa cannot file an application for extension of stay.

3. Tourist Visa Exemption does not apply to foreigners holding Travel Document for Aliens.

bullet.png Countries Eligible for Tourist Visa Exemption
(Visa application Form A is required for stay exceeding 30 days) Australia Austria Belgium Bahrain Brunei Canada Denmark Finland France Germany Greece Hong Kong Iceland Indonesia Ireland Isarael Italy Japan Kuwait Czech Republic Luxembourg Liechtenstein Malaysia Monaco Hungary Netherlands New Zealand Norway Oman Philippines Portugal Qatar Poland Singapore South Africa Spain Sweden Switzerland Turkey UAE UK USA Vietnam Slovak Slovenia Hong Kong Macau Laos Mongolia Russia Vietnam Argentina * Brazil* Chile * Korea (ROK) * Peru * Hungary

Planning ahead to our 2-week visit to Thailand next January I noted that my wife's passport will be valid for just over 5 months when we arrive. The Thai embassy in UK's website wasn't totally clear on the 6-month rule so I wrote and asked them. This was their response:

On 15 August 2013 at 08:54 RTE London <[email protected]> wrote:
It is an international practice to hold a passport valid more than 6 months to travel.

So they didn't commit themselves either way. But my policy is not to take unnecessary risks and I didn't want to arrive at BKK only to be turned away! The good advice I received from elsewhere (Tripadvisor) was to renew her UK passport well before we travel because the outstanding months remaining on her existing passport will be added to the new one. Simples! facepalm.gif

Personally I take everything "Mario 2008" says to the bank. Always on the ball on everything I have read.

But what is your alternate plan? Choose an airline that flies directly into Swampy so you don't have to leave holding?

Personally I take everything "Mario 2008" says to the bank. Always on the ball on everything I have read.

But what is your alternate plan? Choose an airline that flies directly into Swampy so you don't have to leave holding?

I'm being the OP, that's an idea of which I haven't thought of. Instead of flying with AirAsia from Phnom Penh to Don Meuang, Bangkok, I could fly with Bangkok Airways to Suvarnabhumi Airport.

In that case, I wouldn't encounter any problems at all because I will arrive at the same airport from which I'll leave the next day early in the morning, without leaving that airport? Or are there still obstacles on the way to my home country in Europe?

(Actually I've never received a "transit" stamp from Thai immigration officials, like I sometimes receive in Malaysia or Singapore. Are there any specific requirements to get such a transit stamp?)

As said before you should have no problem since you say that you qualify for visa exempt entry. Have you checked Star Alliance website posted? You could print it and if there were a problem with the airline show it to them. Since you would also have an onward ticket there would be no problem for flight here.

Even flying into Suv would not mean you could remain in transit area. You would have to confirm with the airlines. Most connecting flights that qualify are on the same airline or code shared flights.

Afaik there is no transit stamp from immigration. Only transit visas obtained from a Thai embassy or consulate for those who must have a visa to enter the country.

This is the information which I got at the Staralliance website. it does indeed say - Nationals of Netherlands must hold passports and/or passport replacing documents valid for the period of intended stay.

And indeed it doesn't mention a 6 month validity. So I guess I'll be fine...

/ 20AUG13 / 0349 UTC

National Netherlands (NL) /Embarkation Cambodia (KH)
Destination Thailand (TH)

vi_de.gif
Thailand (TH)

in_on_no.gif
Passport required.
- Nationals of Netherlands must hold passports and/or passport

replacing documents valid for the period of intended stay.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 30 days:
- for holders of normal, emergency or temporary passports,
issued to nationals of Netherlands;

Additional Information:

- ACMECS Single Visa issued by Cambodia and Thailand are valid
for 90 days from the date of issue and are valid for a stay
of 60 days in Thailand. Holders of visas isssued by Cambodia
(marked KHA) will be required to pay their fee for Thailand
upon arrival in Thailand.
- Visitors who are visa exempt are required to hold documents
for their next destination.

- Visitors over 12 years of age are required to hold