Is it possible to exchange Russian Rubles in thailand

davidst01

Yes, it is/they are BUT

Not at most banks, but at some licensed money-changers, some give better rates as banks(and will be in less convenient spots for the average Rusky turyst), some worse. In none of any place the rate will be very good.

If it will be better to chnage into €-or maybe even US$-all depends on the rate with which you can get those in Russky, and your desire to save any kopek, or not. Some wiseguys will come and tell that changing twice gives you a worse rate-but that is not true in all cases-as with about anything in life-it depends.

"Is it possible to exchange Russian Rubles in thailand or should I exchange them in the USSR before landing in LOS?"

USSR? What is this, 1985?

Current rate in Thailand is ~ 0.77B/ruble. If you can get better there, then exchange there. Otherwise, wait till you arrive.

Edited by CMSteve

I was at Super Rich in Bangkok's Pratunam district today. I suspect their rates are as good as you will get because of the closeness of their buy and sell rates, if that makes sense. Certainly if you need to change something like UAE Dirhams it makes lots of sense using them rather than a bank. Anyway on their website they show the buy-sell rates for Russian rubles as 0.92 - 0.95 which may make sense to anyone who knows what a ruble should be worth.

Inside Super Rich it's a bit of a circus and very crowded but someone will tell you what to do. I did smile watching the boys lugging sports bags full of what I suspect is Thai currency through the door to replenish their stock.

With most ATM cards, from most countries, you can use them in Thailand.

There's a transaction fee, so best to withdraw 10,000-20,000 per transaction, but imo it's significantly safer than carrying large amounts of cash and then converting it. Likewise it's more convenient, and the exchange rates are usually good (Although as previously mentioned, you pay a transaction fee each time, which can be around maybe 500THB once you add the Thai + home country fees together)

I don't know if Russian ATM cards work in Thailand, but I would assume they do.

So even if you can't exchange Russian Rubles, or don't bring enough, you should be able to withdraw from your ATM card if you get caught short (And your credit card should also work as well of course).