Anyone interested in playing fantasy football?

RaysFan

I assume that you're talking about setting up a league that would be hosted by one of the online Fantasy sites, right?

Yahoo, ESPN, NFL.com, CBS Sports or some such?

If you can find enough interested parties to fill an eight, ten or twelve team league then.... I'd be "game".

So to speak.

There is already a Thai Visa Fantasy football league running.

Check out the football/soccer forum. It's a pinned topic at the top of the page.

You'll be a week late , but you can still join

There seems to be some confusion here.

I could be wrong, but I'm assuming that the OP was referring to NFL Fantasy Football, as played by many millions in the US. The pinned topic in the "Football/Soccer Forum" seems to have to do exclusively with soccer, and...exclusively English soccer at that.

Perhaps the OP could clarify his question?

As an aside.... I was surprised to find out that there WAS such a thing as Fantasy Soccer, and I'm having trouble imagining how points might be allocated, since there is so little about the sport itself that is quantifiable. There is no "yardage" gained or lost (to my knowledge, anyway) and practically no scoring. According to folks I've talked to who've actually watched the games, there is often no winner or loser! Maybe they award fantasy points for phantom hamstring injuries, dramatic knee slides, stylish dives, ripped off jerseys, untied shoe laces or grass stained unis? biggrin.png

• Like 2

Yes im talking about football, not soccer. I'm also having trouble understanding how fantasy soccer would work... a lot of games are 1-0 or 2-1... just doesnt seem like there could be enough points to be distributed to a fantasy team.

Anyways I will set up a private league on espn.com... I would prefer 10 teams but anywhere from 8-12 will be fine. Ill create it today and post the league id and password. Ill set the draft for Saturday... I can adjust the date and time if needed. Scoring will be espn standard.

Sent from my GT-I9500

Yes im talking about football, not soccer. I'm also having trouble understanding how fantasy soccer would work... a lot of games are 1-0 or 2-1... just doesnt seem like there could be enough points to be distributed to a fantasy team.

Anyways I will set up a private league on espn.com... I would prefer 10 teams but anywhere from 8-12 will be fine. Ill create it today and post the league id and password. Ill set the draft for Saturday... I can adjust the date and time if needed. Scoring will be espn standard.

Sent from my GT-I9500

I don't know why the general public in the UK put down the word "soccer", It was coined by Charles Brown, an Oxford student, I believe in 1867. The original word "football" refers to any sport played on foot as opposed to played on horseback (commoners on foot, aristocracy on horseback), besides the real name of the sport of soccer is Association Football. Stop giving the Yanks a hard time and act a little less condescending, if it's veiled anti Americanism just stand up and say so.

I don't know why the general public in the UK put down the word "soccer", It was coined by Charles Brown, an Oxford student, I believe in 1867. The original word "football" refers to any sport played on foot as opposed to played on horseback (commoners on foot, aristocracy on horseback),

.. Basketball, baseball, tennis, golf, 9 ball pool and bowling aren't played on horseback typically, and involve balls..

I just realized we could have just called everything football.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

As an aside.... I was surprised to find out that there WAS such a thing as Fantasy Soccer, and I'm having trouble imagining how points might be allocated, since there is so little about the sport itself that is quantifiable. There is no "yardage" gained or lost (to my knowledge, anyway) and practically no scoring. According to folks I've talked to who've actually watched the games, there is often no winner or loser! Maybe they award fantasy points for phantom hamstring injuries, dramatic knee slides, stylish dives, ripped off jerseys, untied shoe laces or grass stained unis?         Posted Image

Hahaha.. nice one. Posted Image

Players score points for other things besides scoring goals: 

• Assists  (By passing the ball to the player who scores the goal. Or by convincing a referee to red card an opponent by acting horrified when a team mate pretends to be seriously injured.)

• Defenders and goalkeepers score points for 'clean sheets'. (i.e. not wetting / soiling the bed the night before the game. )

• Goalkeepers also score points by making more than x saves. 

• Being on the pitch for over 60 minutes.  (Yes, really)

• Fooling the referee into awarding your team a penalty. (Yes, really)

• Bonus points awarded.  This is where fancy dives and cheering performance comes in.  And for 'being English', though that doesn't occur too often these days.  It's still a good reason for selecting John Terry or Steven Gerrard; they're WAY past their prime, but still rake in the points for being English. And white. Gerrard especially is a good choice here as he's very good both at diving, and at being English.  I've included a picture where he manages to look like he's been shot in the chest with a shotgun, all by himself.  Fantasy EPL gold.

• Playing the 'perfect game', where completely nothing happens the whole time and things end in 0-0.

Posted Image

Hahhahahahahahaha really great post!

Sent from my GT-I9500

• Like 1

Yea ive got nothing against European football... just not my... cup of tea... im sure its because I didnt grow up watching it. I just find it extremely boring. I watch America play in the world cup and the final 8 but thats about it. I do slightly enjoy watching soccer highlight films though.

Im sure Europeans feel the same way abouy baseball. I love baseball but I can see how it could bore someone to death if they have no ties to the sport.

Sent from my GT-I9500

Ok, league created.... go to espn.com click fantasy on the top right, go to football, go to join a league, use the search feature on the right, search for "chiang mai". Password is "thailand".

Draft date and time is tentatively set for Saturday the 24th at 12:45. I can change this if need be. Hoping to get 8-12 people. If interest grows, I can create another league too, I love fantasy football so I have no problems participating in multiple leagues.

I would say thats the big problem with just general public leagues... Thats why I'm trying to get something set up locally... I think if people get to know each other and have something in common it will keep people participating.

Doesn't look like you'll have enough players for a draft tomorrow, but we're still thirteen days away from the opening game.

I've always figured that it was probably better to hold the draft after the week three (or even week four...) preseason games were completed anyway, to minimize the chance that a high draft pick will be spent on a player lost to injury before play even begins.

I'm sort of surprised that there hasn't been more interest in your proposed league from American football fans in Chiang Mai, and I wonder if you might be better off expanding your membership drive to include NFL fans elsewhere in Thailand as well. There doesn't seem to be any NFL talk at all in the Thai Visa "Football/Soccer Forum", and next to none in the "Sports, Hobbies & Activities" forum either. I'm not sure that a post pointing to your ESPN.com league signup page ( http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leaguedirectory league name: chiang mai, password: thailand ) would be appropriate in the "General" forum, or that it would be likely to find any NFL fantasy players there anyway.

Maybe worth a try?

I just started one called gridiron asia, http://fantasy.nfl.com/league/1933028, which has a 10am live draft on Sunday morning if you're still interested

Well.... the OP's ESPN league seems to be stalled at 4 teams, and yours has one.

Eight teams are the minimum required to get started, and the season kicks off a week from tomorrow.

I'll be happy to play in either league (assuming that either one of them manages to get off the ground...), but I don't want to be involved with two.

I'm already signed up in the OP's ESPN "chiang mai" league, but I will keep an eye on yours as well, and I'll jump in if it looks like yours is going to be the one with a quorum come draft day.

In order to do that, it looks like I (or anyone else who might be interested...) will need a league ID and PW, won't we?

It's free to join, no pass word or anything, just follow the link and sign up with nfl.com. It usually fills up the day before the draft. I did it last year and the majority of the players were active, but they all joined within a few hours

The draft was last weekend.... But we didnt have the required minimum amount of players to start. Now its just telling me "draft time not set" Ive been trying for the last 10 minutes to figure out how to set a new draft time. I'll let you know. I would like to do it Saturday around 11:30 am or so...

Ok, this is kind of ridiculous. For me to set the new draft time it has to go to a league vote, so everyone will have to log in and approve my new draft time, which is set for this Saturday at 12:45pm. To vote on the new draft time just go to the league page and it should show up on your screens there... If it doesnt, click "referenda" directly under where the "league, my team, players......" tabs are.

Or I can create a new league right now and everyone can sign up again, then I will open it to the public like 12 hours before the draft so it fills.

Let me know whats best.

Edited by KennyN

Ok, this is kind of ridiculous. For me to set the new draft time it has to go to a league vote, so everyone will have to log in and approve my new draft time, which is set for this Saturday at 12:45pm. To vote on the new draft time just go to the league page and it should show up on your screens there... If it doesnt, click "referenda" directly under where the "league, my team, players......" tabs are.

Or I can create a new league right now and everyone can sign up again, then I will open it to the public like 12 hours before the draft so it fills.

Let me know whats best.

OK I voted for same.

Uh.....

Unless I'm mistaken, you're asking in the "referenda" whether or not we'd like to reset the draft to 12:45 pm tomorrow (Friday).

1:45 am Friday EST = 12:45 pm Friday in Chiang Mai, no?

At any rate, this discussion is probably better held on the league page, and I've emailed all registered managers with my thoughts.

Let's do this thing!