Good area to live in Bangkok

Xriz

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have read many topics about this subject already, but I'm looking for an area tailord to my wishes and hoped you could help me out.

I am a male 31 years old and will stay in bangkok for 6 months starting in October to see if there are any job opportunities and if I like thailand for the long term.

Here is a sum up of all the things I am looking for and hopefully this will generate some good suggestions.

-looking for a furnished condo/appartement with gym and swimming pool included.

-not to expensive, I would love it if I can stay under 15.000 baht a month including internet (wifi), cable TV, all utilities/fixed costs. (I know this depends on personal use, so lets say I'm an average user :)

-good mix of friendlyThai people and a few westerners, not all westerners like in sukhumvit.

-within walking distance of metro/train so I can get around easy.

-plenty of good and cheap Thai food around.

-some nice places to go out, no gogo bars but just nice places to get a beer and meet people. Cinema, shopping mall closeby maybe?

-I'm on a 50.000 baht a month budget so all of the above needs to be covered with this amount.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer me. :)

Cheers,

Chris

I lived is several parts of town so far.

My top choices would be:

Soi Rangnam: decent area with a lot of local lifestyle, small shopping- center with supermarket, BTS-station nearby, lots of nice local restaurants and pubs.

Narathiwas/ Sathorn: excellent BTS/BRT- connection, rather quiet in the many side-sois.

I lived is several parts of town so far.

My top choices would be:

Soi Rangnam: decent area with a lot of local lifestyle, small shopping- center with supermarket, BTS-station nearby, lots of nice local restaurants and pubs.

Narathiwas/ Sathorn: excellent BTS/BRT- connection, rather quiet in the many side-sois.

Rangnam seems to be a good place. Are Farangs accepted in the bars etc. I've read somewere that some loacals can be quit agressive if you come in 'local' bars.

Can you confirm if I can get a nice condo with swimming pool and fitness and utilities like cable, wifi, electrics etc. for 15.000 and less? Or is this really wishfull thinking?

Rangnam is now totally congested with chinese tour busses which shop at King Power. I wouldn't stay there. But have a look yourself.

I live near Rangnam. Yep, the tour buses to King Power can clog the street but it's no big deal. Just allow yourself a few extra mins. if you are going to take a cab. But the VIctory Monument BTS station is just a short walk or motosai ride depending on where on Rangnam you're at.

It definitely is a fun place to live though: malls, restaurants, bars, street activity aplenty. And the park in the middle is a great for running.

Rangnam seems to be a good place. Are Farangs accepted in the bars etc. I've read somewere that some loacals can be quit agressive if you come in 'local' bars.

Can you confirm if I can get a nice condo with swimming pool and fitness and utilities like cable, wifi, electrics etc. for 15.000 and less? Or is this really wishfull thinking?

Yes plenty of places in the area for that price with all you need. Place I stay is 8,000 with free WiFi and you can use the pool and gym for extra 1500B per month. Bills depend on how much you use aircon etc but last month I was 1600.

Rangnam is now totally congested with chinese tour busses which shop at King Power. I wouldn't stay there. But have a look yourself.

But they only go to King Power and nowhere else. They are bussed there and then bussed out. It's very insignificant and makes no difference to your daily life.

I think 15,000 per month is a little low for the amenities you're after.

I looked at a lot of apartments in the area and 15,000 was the highest price I saw. They all had everything he's requested.

For 15.000 you should be good if you look into the following areas.

Udom Suk - condos with Gym and Pool - one bedroom app. 8000-10000 average. @City on Sukhumvit 101/1 or SS Condo. Both app. 10 min. Walking to BTS. Both have shuttle services in the morning and evening

Lat Phrao/Chatuchak - nice and new condos for around 10000-15000. A friend of mine just moved into a brand new unit 10 min from Lat Phrao station. Paid 10000 a month

On nut, Ekkamai, Thong Lo are mostly above your said budget. Between 15000-20000 for a one bedroom unit. Furthermore you have the challenge that you initially only want to stay for 6 month. This might increase the price.

On nut, Ekkamai, Thong Lo are mostly above your said budget. Between 15000-20000 for a one bedroom unit.

Not true.

On Nut is packed with cheap apartments. A friend is staying in a place for 6,000 less than 5 minutes walk from the BTS. There's dozens of places all over On Nut under 10k.

Even in Thong Lor and Ekkamai there are places in walking distance to BTS under 10,000.

I know because I looked at them.

Odum Suk is too far away from anything civilised . . . . You can find a place for 15,000 in a centralish sukhumvit area just have to put in the time to find a place online . . .I've never paid more than 15k

It is a 10 minute bts ride away from anything you could want whistling.gif