slime Tire Repair Kit - Do i need rubber cement or not

wantan

I bought this nice tire repair kit from Panda Rider:

post-129800-0-27973900-1376837575_thumb.

I haven't used it so far. I noticed that it doesn't include rubber cement. Now i ask myself if the repair strings maybe are some kind of "pre-lubed" or "self-adhesive"? Or did slime forgot to put rubber cement in the box? Anybody has used this kit before and knows more about it? Is it safe to use the strings without rubber cement?

And if the strings are "self-adhesive": How long you think does this set last before the strings get old and i should better buy a new repair set? The box is still sealed and not opened.

Thanks

http://bit.ly/15WkRU3

I wouldn't use normal rubber cement and patches with strips, but I've never seen these things before.

If they do a good job of sealing a puncture, you can get a very long time out of the tube.

Your mileage may vary.

IF you ride offroad, I'd replace it when you get home, as pushing a bike 20k home sux.

• Like 1

I use these to repair ATV tires though mine are a no name Chinese knock off. No cement involved at all, just insert the "sticky string" Having used them dozens of times I can confidently say they outlast the tire but I would also say that I've never exceeded 90-100 kph on my ATVs.

Edit: My repair strips are left in a drawer unsealed are still effective at 3-4 years old, I've noticed no0 degradation in the strip if exposed/store to the air.

Edited by JUDAS
  • Like 1

I use these to repair ATV tires though mine are a no name Chinese knock off. No cement involved at all, just insert the "sticky string" Having used them dozens of times I can confidently say they outlast the tire but I would also say that I've never exceeded 90-100 kph on my ATVs.

Edit: My repair strips are left in a drawer unsealed are still effective at 3-4 years old, I've noticed no0 degradation in the strip if exposed/store to the air.

Thanks for clarifying this. Yes, the strings themselves are "sticky". So i guess the rubber cement is optional. Have a look at the instructions of the repair kit:

post-129800-0-89228500-1376894123_thumb.

Funnily rubber cement is mentioned in the instructions. But the picture showing the content of the kit doesn't show rubber cement and of course its not included in the box. These instructions are a bit confusing. Slime should change this.

Edited by wantan

Thanks for clarifying this. Yes, the strings themselves are "sticky". So i guess the rubber cement is optional. Have a look at the instructions of the repair kit:

attachicon.gifslime_tireTackleInstructions.jpg

Funnily rubber cement is mentioned in the instructions. But the picture showing the content of the kit doesn't show rubber cement and of course its not included in the box. These instructions are a bit confusing. Slime should change this.

http://www.slime.com/shop/tire-plug-kit-car-truck-1034-a/

Yes, is really confusing. Some of these slime tire repair kits include rubber cement, some do not. But rubber cement is always mentioned in the instruction sheet of slime tire repair kits.

There are a million bicycle shops here. Just go to one (or tesco or big c for that matter) and purchase a puncture repair kit. They cost less than 30THB. Salvage the rubber cement from the kit and put the tube in with your slime kit. When you do you first repair using the slime plugs just check if there is no leakage. If there is redo the plug using the cement from the bicycle kit.

There you go a workable solution for under a dollar...

• Like 1