Canadian arrested in Patong for theft of B100,000 from Chiang Rai hotel

webfact

I would think the alleged victim would have paid a few baht for this police response.

What do you base that on?

I have to agree with your comment. Why does the poster gets so negative when the police act like police? Does he think they are just the mafia? To the police, well done, and thank you.

• Like 2

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm well the wonderful BIB tried to rip me for 45,000 in Bangkok to arrest a person presented to them who had an arrest warrant issued by the Phuket court and were abusive to me for refusing - so I think I have to agree the victim has paid. It is not the only time either! Oh and I was very polite!

I dare say,having been hired as freelance hotel and restaurant adviser myself. i have been ripped off every time for the contracted amount, it could be the same here, so he felt he would get some back?, note to self, stay ripped off and never steal from a Thai....coffee1.gif

I am sure I know which hotel...I bet one big B is still there...they hired me to train their staff for 2 weeks with refreshers to be scheduled...

....they got hold of all my teaching material and gave me the boot after a week.....

....that big B is one sick, man-hating sociopath....

......good luck proving anything against such an unscrupulous lot...and their cronies...

Well it is plenty of people's experience buddy. Are you for real? The BiB only move and act when it suits them, fullstop. You are dreaming if you think otherwise. If you had a good experience, good for you, but the only reason they will do something is because 1. They have to (instruction from higher up) 2. They want to (it is personal) 3. It is worthwhile.

Disagree with you mate, and I am not your buddy.

So your not his buddy but you are his matefacepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

Oh, the perils of British vs. American lingo.....

Too bad for the reputation of other Canadians !

Oh give it a rest! He's not the first or last Canadian to be accused of a crime in Thailand, nor the victim of one. Please save you self righteous indignation for when there may actually be a verdict in this case...

Again hiding behind others with 'it is well known'.

Not my expereince BTW, if you want something from the unofficial police, yes, you pay, but if you come to the police with real information they will act.

Not hiding behind anyone. It's a well known fact. Ahhh, ignorance is bliss. smile.png

It is a well known fact that you can post any kind of drivel on Thai Visa and claim it is a well known fact. In most cases the statement only pertains to the bar you are in.cheesy.gif:cheesy:

You Really don't care for this guy. Your discription is far from the common Canadian personality of course he may have been an American draft dodger.

Why did it take a year for an arrest warrant? Why all the bother for such a small sum? Mr Antonyalso doesn't care for him and seems to have have a much delayed vendetta against this guy. Maybe he was thehusband of the girlfriendnd and now finds he hasthe alledged perps bastard child.

There really is a load of thrash hoping over here. Probably desperate for money to buy his drugs and food.

It is no wonder why many expats are giving each other the invisible treatment these days

The problem is that these people are at rock bottom to begin with, and have nothing to lose. Getting caught is probably just an occupation hazard to these guys.

Best solution is to deport these people and get them as far away from us and Thailand as possible.

Wow! So based on a news article and a photo you have basically judged this guy as trash and a drug user? Assuming you are wrong?

Why not invite this guy to your home for a spot of lunch and a few drinks, Just to see if my judgement is correct or not?

But first, just to be on the safe side, I suggest that you lock away the silver and don`t leave any cash lying about.

If i was the Canadian consulate, I would challenge his passport.blink.png

Id find some way of denying that he's a Canadian!

hell I want to deny him as a farang!blink.png

thru facebook!!!?? Are you fricken kidding me?

GOOD GOD MAN. HAVE SOME PRIDE!

He hasn't been tried yet. Maybe he isn't guilty and that's why he wasn't worried about posting his whereabouts on Facebook.

Guess what, I am not a fan of internet spying, and certainly not for the alleged theft of 100k baht.

u r joking right ..r u saying that if u were ripped off u wouldnt use any means to get the money back ....too many fools like u about ...this is not an invasion of privacy ...facebook can be a tool to catch thieving cxxnts

wow - 100k baht ? Surely he must realize that he wouldn't get far, or last long, on a measly 100k ? Or is this a case of PO'd hotel owner trying to get some payback for some slight (real or imagined) ?

Too bad we almost never hear the other side of the story, as I'm sure there has to be more to it than he just decided to give up his job and run off to Phuket for 100k.

depends on what he earns here?

There really is a load of thrash hoping over here. Probably desperate for money to buy his drugs and food.

It is no wonder why many expats are giving each other the invisible treatment these days

The problem is that these people are at rock bottom to begin with, and have nothing to lose. Getting caught is probably just an occupation hazard to these guys.

Best solution is to deport these people and get them as far away from us and Thailand as possible.

Yep. Guilty until proved guilty by the media, the Thai justice system and, last but not least, the TV forensics team.

Edited by MaxYakov

I would think it was the location embedded within the digital images themselves that gave his real location.

How does that work then? I understand that digital cameras record metadata that would give the date and time, but I can't see how location would be added. Or are you suggesting it is added when it is uploaded to certain social media websites? I'd be interested to know.

Enlightening for those that didn't know it already . . .

http://kyeos.wordpress.com/2013/05/10/warning-if-you-take-photos-with-your-cell-phone/

wow - 100k baht ? Surely he must realize that he wouldn't get far, or last long, on a measly 100k ? Or is this a case of PO'd hotel owner trying to get some payback for some slight (real or imagined) ?

Too bad we almost never hear the other side of the story, as I'm sure there has to be more to it than he just decided to give up his job and run off to Phuket for 100k.

Got to agree with this post.

Who would really steal 100k and stay in the country? Thailand aint cheap anymore and 100k to a farang is probably gonna last 2 or 3 months max. There's got to be more this story.

Too bad for the reputation of other Canadians !

Oh give it a rest! He's not the first or last Canadian to be accused of a crime in Thailand, nor the victim of one. Please save you self righteous indignation for when there may actually be a verdict in this case...

Like this one: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/661966-canadian-accused-in-penny-stock-fraud-caught-in-thailand/

Who would really steal 100k and stay in the country? Thailand aint cheap anymore and 100k to a farang is probably gonna last 2 or 3 months max. There's got to be more this story.

Your post does not address the possibility that he goes on to steal, scam, rob, rip off etc etc other victims in that "2 to 3 months" that he is living here on the original 100,000 baht, thus, living the high life here on the proceeds of crime.

Wow! So based on a news article and a photo you have basically judged this guy as trash and a drug user? Assuming you are wrong?

Why not invite this guy to your home for a spot of lunch and a few drinks, Just to see if my judgement is correct or not?

But first, just to be on the safe side, I suggest that you lock away the silver and don`t leave any cash lying about.

And then based on nothing but one mans complaint we can all stick our heads so far up our on <deleted> for so long we think our own poop smells like roses and everyone elseis smellin; funny. Not!!.

Very suspicious a warrant for arrest was not issued until 1 year after the alledged theft. Mr Anrhoney taking so much of his time to catch this thief and alerting the press.before hand. Finding him because he didn't even try to hide. There's More to the picture then meets the eye as a famous sage once sang.

Your post does not address the possibility that he goes on to steal, scam, rob, rip off etc etc other victims in that "2 to 3 months" that he is living here on the original 100,000 baht, thus, living the high life here on the proceeds of crime.

Well we could guess at 'possibilities' all day but I still maintain that it would be nice to know the whole story, which I'm sure will never be told.

High life, 100k Baht??? From one living in your part of the world, I'm somewhat bemused by this comment.

Hmm well the wonderful BIB tried to rip me for 45,000 in Bangkok to arrest a person presented to them who had an arrest warrant issued by the Phuket court and were abusive to me for refusing - so I think I have to agree the victim has paid. It is not the only time either! Oh and I was very polite!

Ah, Bangkok. Sorry, you're on a different forum now.

Well we could guess at 'possibilities' all day but I still maintain that it would be nice to know the whole story, which I'm sure will never be told.

High life, 100k Baht??? From one living in your part of the world, I'm somewhat bemused by this comment.

You still don't get it. Sure, we don't know the whole story, but what if he rips off, cons, scams, borrows, robs, steals etc etc every day/week/month - so, multiple victims. Look at the bike he's riding.

He wouldn't be the first con man or thief living here on no legitimate income. You see it every now and then in the PG. They gain people's confidence and then take the money and move onto the next victim.

What I am saying is, whilst he is living on the original 100,000 baht, he is on the look out for the next 100,000 baht, or even a beer from the guy sitting next to him at the bar.

Ah, Bangkok. Sorry, you're on a different forum now.

Ahhh, but the Bangkok BIB needed the 45,000 baht to pay to be posted to Phuket where he can make even more money. :) :)

It's interesting that Facebook played into this in some way. I just watched a new documentary yesterday called Terms and Conditions May Apply. It was very interesting and makes me happy that I've never bothered with Facebook and don't tweet. I'm not hiding anything, but I cherish my privacy, anyway.

It seems that this guy has done nothing to try and hide after the alleged crime. He's posted on Facebook, he's booked into a hotel (under his own name, showing passport I assume) and he seems to be operating openly and normally. I'd love to hear both sides of this story.

Edited by Wavefloater
  • Like 2

@ NKM

'But what if...' if, if, if????

As you said, we don't know the whole story. I do understand the possibilities that he could be ripping off people left, right and centre but the whole story would still be interesting to know in order to put this into context.

This supposedly 100k, could just be something like he hasn't honoured an employment contract and the employer is using any angle to get revenge, it does happen.

As you said, possibilities; there are so many POSSIBLE scenarios.

Can I ask, have you been ripped off? You seem to be speaking from experience here. Sure being scammed isn't nice but let's not sentence till we know the facts.

@ NKM

'But what if...' if, if, if????

As you said, we don't know the whole story. I do understand the possibilities that he could be ripping off people left, right and centre but the whole story would still be interesting to know in order to put this into context.

This supposedly 100k, could just be something like he hasn't honoured an employment contract and the employer is using any angle to get revenge, it does happen.

As you said, possibilities; there are so many POSSIBLE scenarios.

Can I ask, have you been ripped off? You seem to be speaking from experience here. Sure being scammed isn't nice but let's not sentence till we know the facts.

It would be good to know the whole story - there are always two sides.

The fact that a warrant has been issued, does tend to indicate there is some evidence to support his wrong doing, but TIT, and anything is possible for payment.

I can't see him breaking into a safe to steal the money, or violently robbing the victim, so, my thoughts are it's some sort of BS business deal gone bad - if, in fact, it ever existed in the offender's mind. Like I said, there are a lot of con men here.

I have never bought, or started, a business here. I have never "bought" property here. I am single and always have been whilst in Thailand. I have never sent money to Issan for a sick buffalo. I may have been a little overcharged on a big night out, but who hasn't. So, no, I consider myself as never been ripped off.

Let me add something....

He never worked for a hotel, he was teaching English in Chiang Mai. His girlfriend was from Chiang Rai. There quite possibly is a connection there, wouldn't be surprised if he got angry at his girlfriend, took cash and went to Patong to blow it on the ladies.

Careful. Slander and libel laws in Thailand are draconian and far reaching--even to the most innocuous-sounding insults and conjectures! ermm.gif

Never heard of anyone getting libel for posted comments. I am not a journalist and I did say that it was only a possibility. I really don't know anything about the case except I met the guy 8 months ago and have no idea who anthony is or where the girlfriend worked. I am not a fan of imprisoning as a form of punishment. Why do guys usually go stay in Patong? If he was doing drugs, they surely tested him for amphetamine. They usually do this. So I don't think he was there to do drugs.

What I do know is that he spent a lot of time on facebook, and either he didn't do anything, was bragging, or doesn't know much about what 'privacy settings' are on facebook. Whatever the case, I do know that I never met anyone who liked to talk about himself as much as he did. Poilce tend to not respect or enjoy farang who talk fast, too much, don't speak any thai, and behave disrespectfully. He is someone that could easily dig himself into a deep hole. It took how many police to arrest him? 8? 12?

These are just simple deductions from facts and possibilities. I admit that I didn't correctly write what I was trying to say the first time.

Edited by bitterbatter

I dare say,having been hired as freelance hotel and restaurant adviser myself. i have been ripped off every time for the contracted amount, it could be the same here, so he felt he would get some back?, note to self, stay ripped off and never steal from a Thai....coffee1.gif

Apparently he stole from a Brit.

Things like that don't matter to Thai basher's. Any how he said he was innocent. Who you going to believe a Canadian or a Brit?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

On another note I believe if you are dishonest here in Thailand do not post pictures or confessions on face book. We had a dum dum here in Chiang Mai posting about all the money he was making and he didn't have a work permit and also playing music at a night5 club where they asked for volunteer musicians. He got himself and a few others arrested. He was here on an overstay visa so they shipped him home. They do censor it some times or some upright type people turn you in.

Sort of - the Australian singer you are talking about was not an overstay - he had to pay a 1000 baht fine in the end! - however, one of the guys with him (an American) on stage on the night when immigration and cops nabbed them, was a year overstay - he was in and out of prison for a few months before getting deported. Some (one) were on tourist visas and could prove they had only been in-country for a few days and thus were released without charge (holiday makers getting up on one night to jam was not immigration's target - which makes great sense too). The rest were fined - or charges dropped due to lack of evidence (cops had photos of other musicians playing - but as they were not caught red handed it was not easy to prove it was 'work' and not just jamming, open mic or having fun).

However, the gist is correct - it was his overt FB pages advertising for bookings, and showing photos of him and others playing on stage, that got him and the others nabbed (and caused a lot of damage to bars in the area with respect to having farang entertainment - even when legal such as open mic nights - some got hefty fines and more changed their line up to all Thai).

Back to the Canadian though. It seems to me quite a small amount for a professional (presumably on a WP to work in the Hotel in the first place) to do a runner with - more like a cash register snatch and grab! To me this might suggest there is more to this than meets the eye - maybe an argument as to wages owed???? Hopefully the courts will sort it all out.

He alledgedly took the money a year ago and a warrent was not issued until last June????

He (Mr Anthoney) came all the way to finger him in person ,and brought the press for 100k baht. Only $3186.50 US over a year later. No questioning just arrest. This seems vendeta. Perhaps Briton Mr. Anthoney had a new baby that came out on the happy day saying "Nice Day Aye" How about a Moosehead" and he became supicious of his new borns heritage.

Whatever the truth is there seems much more going on in the background. Some folks are nuts though

There was a bench warrant for his arrest - the police would not be questioning him, but doing what the bench warrant says, arrest him. He would likely be questioned back in CR on return by the investigating cops that have the info. This is standard practise pretty much everywhere there is a police force. You also assume that the 100k was the extent of the damage - that 100kmn may have been earmarked for payment/investment/wages/whatever - it was stolen from a company (allegedly), so the missing money could have much more damaging repercussions than the value alone. Once found guilty of stealing the 100k, further damages can be sought with respect to loss of earnings, subsequent costs and damages and of course punitive costs. It could certainly get a lot heavier than the original 100k. The delay was also probably due to the legal wait times imposed by the court and the delay in finding him - a year is not that long.

Remember he is a hotel owner - he may well have contacts - contacts/silent partners trump one off backhanders here any day of the week. As I said above, the actual cost to his hotel may well justify chasing the guy too (it may be well over the 100k allegedly taken) - and any side costs (his insurance may also require it - and may cover certain costs in that regard too).