Mud wasps - large nest - what to do?

jko

Mud wasps started to build a multi-celled nest on my balcony a few weeks ago. Thinking they would be like their cute and creative counterpart which builds one 'pot' seals it and leaves it behind, I did nothing, simply out of reverence for living things.

But they have kept on building, and the nest is now about the size of three hands, with still no sign of eventual completion. It just keeps growing larger....

I really don't want to zap it - they are clever little creatures the way they fly in with their cargoes of mud, but I don't want a huge wasp colony either. There must already be over a hundred workers.

Are there any mud wasp experts out there who can advise me what the end result will be? Will they complete the nest, seal it all, and fly off leaving the larvae to hatch? (best case scenario) - in which case I'll happily leave them be.

Or will they all stay behind as guardians? If the latter, how can I encourage them to leave, without committing mass wasp murder?

Grateful for advice on this - thanks so much if you can.

Accept a compromise - at a suitable time of day when the wasps are not active simply with a firm aimed blow with a sharp edged knife remove the nest and relocate in a tree or under cover from rain etc where the larvae might then mature in safety. Otherwise you will keep them coming back to monopolise on this prime nesting location.

The ones I've found and removed upstairs get recycled as birds - it's all encompassed within the circle of life.

Accept a compromise - at a suitable time of day when the wasps are not active simply with a firm aimed blow with a sharp edged knife remove the nest and relocate in a tree or under cover from rain etc where the larvae might then mature in safety. Otherwise you will keep them coming back to monopolise on this prime nesting location.

The ones I've found and removed upstairs get recycled as birds - it's all encompassed within the circle of life.

Thanks Cuban I'd like to do that - but how?

They're very aggressive if I get too close, and I've been stung once - that was enough. Knocking the nest off, even if it's dark, I would imagine will have them attack me immediately. With their numbers it would probably put me in hospital.

What do you advise?

I just got rid of a nest, albeit smaller, with the garden hose from a distance. The nests just dislovle. Another idea is to put a proper charcoal bbq under it and let it smoke.

Edited by duanebigsby

Depending on how they've suspended the nest - I've had success with a large glass jar and a sheet of aluminium. Glass jars might not come in your size if you've let it get so big, but the idea is to wait till the wee small hours when they're quiet, dress yourself appropriately and cover the nest with the glass jar, then slide the metal between the jar and ceiling and cut the nest off with the edge of the metal, which also acts as a lid. Carry it outside to an appropriate location and choose your method of getting it out. I used the "tip it and run" method and got away with a few stings :)

Cover up, wait till they're quiet and then spray them with Baygon, and quickly retreat. shut the doors etc. It works. They are susceptible and will get buzzing and then quickly die. Otherwise you'll have a big problem. Did my front porch in Isan a few months ago after being stung several times. Yeah I know it's not loving animals etc. But they are nasty around your home. And they kill other animals, so your conscience is salved

I have them from time to time in my front porch. They are most unlikely to sting you, and are beneficial in killing some unwanted pests. Never had a problem co-existing with them. If you have to get rid of them just remove the nests at night.

Riggggggght ... and after the bird gig? Mammals? ... and then? ... and then?

Can someone email me a diagram of the circle of life? I wanna know where to get off.

Can someone email me a diagram of the circle of life? I wanna know where to get off.

If you decide they have to be killed, Pyrethrin is the product if available locally. Natural Pyrethrin has largely given way to a synthetic product, and it should be available in the gardening section of supermarkets. It comes as powder or spray bottle, and is very effective. The spray bottles I've had in the past can be adjusted from a mist to a jet, and a jet will enable you to reach them from a few meters, so avoiding stings. They take it back into the nest on their bodies, groom each other, and they all go to heaven.

Pyrethrin is biodegradable, very safe to use, being produced from the chrysanthemum plant. I guess the synthetic product is also, being the same chemical composition??

Edited by F4UCorsair

Thais just seem to ignore them.

My neighbour last year showed me a nest behind her apartment, and told me that it meant luck for her. And she went on to buy many lottery tickets after.

My neighbour this year just ignored a HUGE nest, built in the interlaced strips of wood ornating her porch. Then some months later, the wasps just left.

Anyway ... when did wasps win the "Arthropod of the Year" award? If the offending critters were cockroaches or mosquitoes I don't think this thread would have legs. Not even six.

Edited by Fullstop

Yes,

And probably malaria and dengue carrying mosquitoes...

The hives Re anchored by thin strands to the base. Put on protective gear/gloves, approach nest slowly, holing garbage bag open under neath. Clip moorings. Clise bag, take away to a suitable area and toss it away. The bugs will get out and survive. Good luck. Keep and eye out for nore as they like certain areas and will proliferate. The smaller the nest the easier it is. I have used bottles successfully for small ones.

I have just knocked the nest down and escaped inside very quickly as they sting is short lived but incredibly painful.They will come back and try to rebuild but knock that down too. They will get the message and just go to somewhere safer .

My father in law got rid of a beachball sized nest ata property I used to have. He soaked a large rag (T-shirt) in petrol, draped it over then set light to it. Then he ran like F£"K

No doubt he ran.

Did he also burn the house down whistling.gif