National reconciliation: PM Yingluck a spectator only at first reform forum

webfact

NATIONAL RECONCILIATION
PM a spectator only at first reform forum

The Nation

30213011-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Yingluck Shinawatra will observe Sunday's political reform forum at Government House but will not make any remarks, according to Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana.

"The prime minister intends to listen to the discussion both in the morning and afternoon sessions. But she will not chair the session," Phongthep said.

"She will not make any remarks but will instead allow other participants to air their views fully."

The session on Sunday would not be broadcast live and people from the media would only be allowed to take photos at the beginning of the meeting. Having the media absent would allow participants to voice their views without concern, he said.

A participant in the forum, Banharn Silapa-Archa from the coalition Chart Thai Pattana Party, said yesterday the prime minister had called him over the weekend to discuss the forum. He said participants from all the sides would be allowed to air their views during the session on Sunday.

The prime minister told him the government would determine what to do next about reform after this first session, according to Banharn, who added that one such meeting was insufficient.

After Sunday, leading political opponents of the government, such as Chamlong Srimuang, Sondhi Limthongkul and Prasong Soonsiri, would be invited to join the forum, Banharn said.

In a related development, a group of 40 senators has declined a government invitation to join the forum because they do not believe the prime minister is serious and sincere about this matter, said Senator Somchai Sawangkarn, who is part of the group.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-20

And leading political opponents would be invited to join the forum, but only after Sunday, when the broadcasts have gone out ... wouldn't want them to make the PM or government look bad by disagreeing with anything they've said on TV or radio, or anything ! wink.png

They can watch TB on the goggle-box, like everyone else ! How very democratic !

Yay for Red Stage-managed Events ! rolleyes.gif

Do you have a problem with reading comprehension?

1. The prime minister intends to listen to the discussion both in the morning and afternoon sessions. She will not make any remarks but will instead allow other participants to air their views fully.

Do you have a problem with the PM listening to the participants? Don't you think she should listen first and not offer her views until she has had a chance to listen to those who may be either in favour or not in favour of the Bill? This will allow people who would not normally have a chance to speak, an opportunity to voice their opinion.

2. The session on Sunday would not be broadcast live and people from the media would only be allowed to take photos at the beginning of the meeting. Having the media absent would allow participants to voice their views without concern, he said.

Why do you refer to a broadcast, when there will be no broadcast of the event? Have you ever heard of bull pit sessions? It is a method whereby contentious issues are discussed without the media present. It allows for a more efficient discussion of the issues. Instead of people playing for the cameras, they can instead focus on arguing the Bill. This is a common approach used in all parliamentary democracies when hot issues are discussed.

3. A participant in the forum, Banharn Silapa-Archa said participants from all the sides would be allowed to air their views during the session on Sunday.

How then is this Red stage managed if opponents of the Bill will be participating? Has it occurred to you that maybe many of the participants want to discuss the issue with some privacy? There will be a time when the politicians can play for the camera. There is a very strong likelihood, that there will be many statements made that are best not broadcast until a later time lest they provoke violence. Would you rather that the Bill was just voted and passed by the PTP majority? Shouldn't those that oppose the Bill be allowed to state their views?

And leading political opponents would be invited to join the forum, but only after Sunday, when the broadcasts have gone out ... wouldn't want them to make the PM or government look bad by disagreeing with anything they've said on TV or radio, or anything ! wink.png

1. The prime minister intends to listen to the discussion both in the morning and afternoon sessions. She will not make any remarks but will instead allow other participants to air their views fully.

Do you have a problem with the PM listening to the participants? Don't you think she should listen first and not offer her views until she has had a chance to listen to those who may be either in favour or not in favour of the Bill? This will allow people who would not normally have a chance to speak, an opportunity to voice their opinion.

2. The session on Sunday would not be broadcast live and people from the media would only be allowed to take photos at the beginning of the meeting. Having the media absent would allow participants to voice their views without concern, he said.

Why do you refer to a broadcast, when there will be no broadcast of the event? Have you ever heard of bull pit sessions? It is a method whereby contentious issues are discussed without the media present. It allows for a more efficient discussion of the issues. Instead of people playing for the cameras, they can instead focus on arguing the Bill. This is a common approach used in all parliamentary democracies when hot issues are discussed.

3. A participant in the forum, Banharn Silapa-Archa said participants from all the sides would be allowed to air their views during the session on Sunday.

How then is this Red stage managed if opponents of the Bill will be participating? Has it occurred to you that maybe many of the participants want to discuss the issue with some privacy? There will be a time when the politicians can play for the camera. There is a very strong likelihood, that there will be many statements made that are best not broadcast until a later time lest they provoke violence. Would you rather that the Bill was just voted and passed by the PTP majority? Shouldn't those that oppose the Bill be allowed to state their views?

Dear GK,

I am not aware of any problem with reading comprehension, but am sure you'll attempt to point one out, no opportunity missed, which is why you're on 'ignore' with me. But anyway ...

1. I have no problem with the PM listening to participants ... nor did I say that I do.

2. You do understand that not broadcasting live doesn't mean there won't still be lots of broadcasts about the 'reform forum', don't you ?

And if the government wish to have a private or confidential brainstorming-session, why all the media-hype & publicity surrounding the event ?

I suspect that this will be a 'bull shit' session, not a 'bull pit' one.

3. Arguing any particular Bill is best done in public IMO, with all the opposition participating, in parliament and not in smoky back-rooms as you suggest is happening here, undemocratic doncha know ?

And anyway this meeting is being billed as a 'reform forum', not just a debate on any specific Bill, and will inevitably be partly given over to invited-farangs posturing. That's why they're invited, to make sweet statements about democracy and freedom-of-speech and consensus and the wholesomeness of apple-pie, and to give the wider impression that the government's reconciliation-efforts are somehow endorsed by people who count for something overseas.

A "forum" from which the media - and thus the public at large - are locked out so participants "can voice their views without concern"? How very democratic, open and transparent.

It's a great start to "political reform" and "reconciliation". Don't let the public know how twisted your "views" possibly are.

Also make sure the forum only heres the part of the story thaksin has approved

"After Sunday, leading political opponents of the government, such as Chamlong Srimuang, Sondhi Limthongkul and Prasong Soonsiri, would be invited to join the forum, Banharn said."

For sure don't want the rest of the forum hear both sides.

I really don't have a problem with Yingluck not speaking at the first meeting. I think it is often a smart move by management to listen to all sides in a first meeting in order to have a better understanding of all of the problems. I also don't think it's a problem to exclude the media from this meeting in order that a media presence doesn't stifle the discussion. Allowing such government opponents as the yellow shirt leaders and others to be present in a second meeting is a good idea as it allows them to voice their concerns also in time. What I do have a problem with are the 40 Senators who have declined to participate because they don't believe the PM is serious. Why don't they attend and try to force the PM to be more serious if, in fact, she is not. Simply opting out of the sessions is shirking responsibility and is not contributing to possible reconciliation between all parties. It's like the ostrich who has a problem and sticks his head in the sand to ignore the problem.

I really don't have a problem with Yingluck not speaking at the first meeting. I think it is often a smart move by management to listen to all sides in a first meeting in order to have a better understanding of all of the problems. I also don't think it's a problem to exclude the media from this meeting in order that a media presence doesn't stifle the discussion. Allowing such government opponents as the yellow shirt leaders and others to be present in a second meeting is a good idea as it allows them to voice their concerns also in time. What I do have a problem with are the 40 Senators who have declined to participate because they don't believe the PM is serious. Why don't they attend and try to force the PM to be more serious if, in fact, she is not. Simply opting out of the sessions is shirking responsibility and is not contributing to possible reconciliation between all parties. It's like the ostrich who has a problem and sticks his head in the sand to ignore the problem.

I agree it was a good move on her handelers part putting a muzzle on her.

Now if she can find some equally intelligent speech writers she will do fine.

The main problem as I see it is she will stick to the same narrow minded writers she has used in the past. This is not the crowd to defend her actions. It is one to ask for suggestions and not try to justify or deny the past. That of course is an impossibility because to do it she would have to admit that it was the red shirts controverting the law that started 2010 off in the first place and their continued persistence in controverting it. All that before the first bullet was fired.

I don't know all the details but it might go back to the coup in 2006. If it does The matter should come up as to the legal rite of Thaksin to be in the office he was in. As I say I do not have all those details maybe he was there legally or maybe he had maintained the position illegally.

As for the senators thinking she is isn't serious. Well they are in positions to see what is Yingluck coming out of her mouth and what is Thaksin coming out of her mouth. Nuff said on that

After Sunday, leading political opponents of the government, such as Chamlong Srimuang, Sondhi Limthongkul and Prasong Soonsiri, would be invited to join the forum, Banharn said.

One wonders if there will be a platoon of brown shirted men on stand by out side the meeting room on Sunday just in case the invited poltical opponents disagree with anything the goverment says ?

• Like 1

One wonders if there will be a platoon of brown shirted men on stand by out side the meeting room on Sunday just in case the invited poltical opponents disagree with anything the goverment says ?

Probably......................

You have a problem with arrogant posts & remarks. That is clear.

Me? I'm just surprised the PM has found the time to be present and 'only' listen.

As her government is keen on 'reconciliation' I'd have expected a short opening speech from her.

Terribly sorry and all that, but I also note in my agenda to check later Sunday/Monday if our dear PM was present from opening till closure. That would indicate the importance the PM, government, Pheu Thai party hold these reform forum talks in.

You have a problem with arrogant posts & remarks. That is clear.

Actually, no, GK doesn't, he has a wide range of stock answers.

That was one of the long ones.

I really don't have a problem with Yingluck not speaking at the first meeting. I think it is often a smart move by management to listen to all sides in a first meeting in order to have a better understanding of all of the problems. You think Ms. Yingluck is management 555. You're cute. I also don't think it's a problem to exclude the media from this meeting in order that a media presence doesn't stifle the discussion. Why should any of these 'pillars of society' say anything they would be ashamed of to be publicized? Allowing such government opponents as the yellow shirt leaders and others to be present in a second meeting is a good idea as it allows them to voice their concerns also in time. Well, we certainly can't have outsiders interfering with a government controlled strategy session on how to push the government viewpoint. What I do have a problem with are the 40 Senators who have declined to participate because they don't believe the PM is serious. Do you, as a private individual, have pointless meetings with people you disagree with; especially when they have been proven to be disingenuous? Why don't they attend and try to force the PM to be more serious if, in fact, she is not. You can't push a chain. Simply opting out of the sessions is shirking responsibility and is not contributing to possible reconciliation between all parties. It's like the ostrich who has a problem and sticks his head in the sand to ignore the problem. This is a dog and pony show orchestrated by the government and those Senators do not want to be seen as either trained dogs nor ponies. The outcome of this little display is entirely predictable; everyone on this forum knows what the results will be, excepting those with rose colored glasses or a pro government agenda. Without being a psychic, the report will say that for reconciliation to take place, everyone must compromise and past mistakes corrected and everyone should just get along and not complain when Dr. Thaksin is reinstated to his former glory and all assets returned. Want to bet I'm wrong?

I really don't have a problem with Yingluck not speaking at the first meeting. I think it is often a smart move by management to listen to all sides in a first meeting in order to have a better understanding of all of the problems. You think Ms. Yingluck is management 555. You're cute. I also don't think it's a problem to exclude the media from this meeting in order that a media presence doesn't stifle the discussion. Why should any of these 'pillars of society' say anything they would be ashamed of to be publicized? Allowing such government opponents as the yellow shirt leaders and others to be present in a second meeting is a good idea as it allows them to voice their concerns also in time. Well, we certainly can't have outsiders interfering with a government controlled strategy session on how to push the government viewpoint. What I do have a problem with are the 40 Senators who have declined to participate because they don't believe the PM is serious. Do you, as a private individual, have pointless meetings with people you disagree with; especially when they have been proven to be disingenuous? Why don't they attend and try to force the PM to be more serious if, in fact, she is not. You can't push a chain. Simply opting out of the sessions is shirking responsibility and is not contributing to possible reconciliation between all parties. It's like the ostrich who has a problem and sticks his head in the sand to ignore the problem. This is a dog and pony show orchestrated by the government and those Senators do not want to be seen as either trained dogs nor ponies. The outcome of this little display is entirely predictable; everyone on this forum knows what the results will be, excepting those with rose colored glasses or a pro government agenda. Without being a psychic, the report will say that for reconciliation to take place, everyone must compromise and past mistakes corrected and everyone should just get along and not complain when Dr. Thaksin is reinstated to his former glory and all assets returned. Want to bet I'm wrong?

No