Traders not keen to bid in Thai govt rice auctions

webfact

With even Iraq wising up, nobody wants to buy Thai Rice anymore... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

So u think that is a joke??

No, but those populist manipulation-propganda SCAM policy made Thailand a laughing stock of Exports thanks to the ignorant Pheuthai mercenaries

With any luck I hope it helps devalue the baht.

Then a Thai spring to follow.

Whatever the cause the Baht has sunk to a 1-year low (see other paper). Google says 31.69 to US$. That plus a mild recession (as Thai at Heart has mentioned) ought to be a wake up call for the ruling governing party.

Not if someone is planning on repatriating say a few billion USD over the next few months in preparation for his return.

• Like 1

The Commerce Ministry recently released only 210,000 tonnes of the targeted 500,000 tonnes, from its stockpile. (MCOT online news).

......is there even any more.....

...already redirected without a trace.....or spoiled.....????

"After the proposed prices are disclosed, the Commerce Ministry will negotiate with the winning traders."

Can someone please explain how thai bidding works? Where I come from the highest bid wins, and that price is the final price. You do not start renegotiating afterwards.

better dont look for logic... just put that one down to thainess.

With even Iraq wising up, nobody wants to buy Thai Rice anymore... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

No, but those populist manipulation-propganda SCAM policy made Thailand a laughing stock of Exports thanks to the ignorant Pheuthai mercenaries

Whatever the cause the Baht has sunk to a 1-year low (see other paper). Google says 31.69 to US$. That plus a mild recession (as Thai at Heart has mentioned) ought to be a wake up call for the ruling governing party.

Not if someone is planning on repatriating say a few billion USD over the next few months in preparation for his return.

possible dastardly plan not too many would consider, certainly not many thais.

"After the proposed prices are disclosed, the Commerce Ministry will negotiate with the winning traders."

Can someone please explain how thai bidding works? Where I come from the highest bid wins, and that price is the final price. You do not start renegotiating afterwards.

Maybe it means that they'll offer the winning bidder a discount..... provided that they agree to the official pretence that they paid top dollar for it ..?

• Like 2

Maybe it means that they'll offer the winning bidder a discount..... provided that they agree to the official pretence that they paid top dollar for it ..?

The official pretence is an already known by the bidders, i imagine the origin of the rice in question already has a plan behind it,

Any rice exporter selling thai rice already has a plan, or maybe already worked out by the government before hand included in the deal...hard to imagine it would be marketed as thai rice at the moment.

Edited by tingtongfarang

With the article only mentioning 2012/2013 pledged paddy and 2013 first season, may I wonder how much is still in stock from 2011/2012 (between 22m and 24m tonnes pledged) and years before that? Warehouses still somewhat full to overflowing it would seem.

Of course I only ask under the assumption that this type of information doesn't fall under guarded State Secrets with anyone inquiring being automatically suspect rolleyes.gif

possible dastardly plan not too many would consider, certainly not many thais.

Well it may not be intentional, but the baht is weakening. I think there is every chance they would screw it up either for selfish or political reasons.

• Like 1

Just wondering what the rice farmers are going to grow when this scheme blows up...

Exactly right! When the government stops buying, which they eventually must, who will buy rice from the farmer. The mills are stocked to the gills, the government could supply the World for a year. This bubble bursting will be worse than the real estate bubble of '97.

As a long-time conspiracy theorist, I believe Thaksin, Inc. will invest in Dollars, as he did in 1997, and when he crashes the Thai economy he can buy everything in Thailand for a song.

• Like 1

Rice has taken a plunge. It's only a matter of time for the tourist industry unless their is a huge overhaul. Which leaves only the manufacturing industry which has proved it's resiliance after recent political tumoil and flooding.... but one more heavy hit and I am not so sure.

The tourist industry never seems to suffer although that's according to government figures so I don't know how true it is.

The manufacturing industry or at least the auto industry is protected by huge import taxes so without those it may well suffer badly.

The tourism industry will boom once the economy collapses and the Baht greatly devalues. Good times for expats but horrible for non-wealthy Thais.

• Like 1

With the article only mentioning 2012/2013 pledged paddy and 2013 first season, may I wonder how much is still in stock from 2011/2012 (between 22m and 24m tonnes pledged) and years before that? Warehouses still somewhat full to overflowing it would seem.

Of course I only ask under the assumption that this type of information doesn't fall under guarded State Secrets with anyone inquiring being automatically suspect rolleyes.gif

Nothing to stop them putting old rice in new bags to get rid of old stock.

Nothing to stop them putting old rice in new bags to get rid of old stock.

As i read it that happened already,

Meanwhile the expensive, rotting rice mountain gets even higher. Wonder how YL will explain this away but think I can guess ?

Couple o' "little white lies" ought to get rid of the problem, eh?