I Mugged a Mugger...

klauskunkel

After seven uneventful years in Bangkok I am happy to report my first encounter with violence.

I am a runner. I run everyday 5 miles, weather permitting, same place and same time. Two days ago past the halfway point, I was stopped by a guy on a motorbike, asking for directions. I turned my head to look at the crossroad behind me, and he accelerated and tried to snatch my gold necklace, speeding away. Boy, he was fast!! If I had been wearing Thai gold, he would have succeeded, since that clasp is designed to be yanked apart (I wonder why???), but I was wearing a farang designed clasp which would not give and therefore cost him some time. I managed to grab his hand with my left, and while he was fleeing, his silver ring stayed in my hand!

"Aii Kwaii suebuue (you stupid buffalo)! I have your ring!!!", I yelled after him, holding up my trophy.

Then I went to the police station to make a report. They kept the ring, lol (gotta pay the BIB)!

This made me realise, that I went thru life quite unaware and trusting, i.e. during routine behaviour. Posting on ThaiVisa I normally show quite a sarcastic streak, but apparently in real life I am a rosy, helpful, nice kind of guy. My sarcasm on TV could have helped me in questioning this situation: Why did the Thai guy ask a Farang for directions? To Sukhumvit?!! Why did he stay seated on the bike? Why was he wearing a balaklava under the helmet? Why all these things together?!? (approach with caution...)

Another thing, what if he had had a knife? More than one guy? That could have been serious, easily.

Looking at the news I am well aware that violence had been on the rise in Thailand and around the world steadily, yet my own behaviour had not adapted. I am now resolved to still go running, same place, same time. But I will be much more perceptive and much better protected.

(P.S. I also changed my signature...)

I run every morning here in SR, sometimes at 2 or 3 o' clock. There is not much crime but I wouldn't wear any jewelry (I never do anyway). However, I do have an expensive sports watch and an IPod and do sometimes wonder what would happen if someone accosted me. I guess just try and hand the staff over very quickly and without a fuss. Probably conditioned by having grown up in Kenya were a second's hesitation could cost you your life.

I was told not to wear jewelry in Asia and I've taken heed of the warning. I've never been mugged in Thailand but a druggy type in Canada tried to grab my handbag one time. It was not a wise decision on his behalf. I caught him with a left hook to his temple and then tripped him when he tried to run. I ended up kicking him a a few times in the groin for good measure. Don't mess with us redheads of Scottish and French descent. We've got mean tempers.

oouch, wanna run together?

• Like 1

Why did the Thai guy ask a Farang for directions? To Sukhumvit?!! Why did he stay seated on the bike? Why was he wearing a balaklava under the helmet? Why all these things together?!? (approach with caution...)

Most importantly, why were you so stupid as to wear a gold necklace?

Yes, it's not the 1980s any more. Lucky he didn't get nicked by the fashion police for this misdemeanor . whistling.gif ... clap2.gif

• Like 1

Why are people bashing the OP for this story? Seriously, sometimes it seems every poster on TV is here to tear other people down. I guess if you spend that much time on an internet forum your probably lacking much of a life outside it.

And let the attacks (on me) begin....

Because they think, the one's that can think, they're funny.

Because they can get away with it, behind their screen.

Because they would NEVER do it to your face.

To the OP, glad you were not hurt.

Why are people bashing the OP for this story? Seriously, sometimes it seems every poster on TV is here to tear other people down. I guess if you spend that much time on an internet forum your probably lacking much of a life outside it.

Thanks, just a sprained middle finger. I could show it to some posters, but then again, too much effort! laugh.png

you should wait a few weeks before going out running again. if not, you should at least change your pattern of where you run. don't run that route and then return directly to where you live. when you run wear a baseball cap with a brim over your face with wrap around sunglasses. if you were wearing a bright color or logo or pattern at the time of the attack, i would avoid that those for a while. be hyper vigilant, and invest in pepper spray and have it ready. he will not forget about you and if he reacquires you he will attack when you least expect it.

Thanks, just a sprained middle finger. I could show it to some posters, but then again, too much effort! laugh.png

As a runner you should know to stretch first before giving someone the finger.

• Like 1

you should wait a few weeks before going out running again. if not, you should at least change your pattern of where you run. don't run that route and then return directly to where you live. when you run wear a baseball cap with a brim over your face with wrap around sunglasses. if you were wearing a bright color or logo or pattern at the time of the attack, i would avoid that those for a while. be hyper vigilant, and invest in pepper spray and have it ready. he will not forget about you and if he reacquires you he will attack when you least expect it.

Thanks for the concern

Good job klauskunkel man.

But if you really wanted to be cool you would have judo flipped him by the arm you were holding, leaped on his bike, lit a cigarette and wheelspinned in his face before sailing away.

or maybe next time hard gay comes to the rescue.........

thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the offer old boy, but I really can't impose on you to appear in person...

Edited by klauskunkel