Thai opposition MPs in parliament brawl with police

webfact

Thai opposition MPs in parliament brawl with police

BANGKOK, August 20, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's parliament briefly descended into chaos Tuesday as opposition lawmakers brawled with police during a debate on controversial proposals to amend the constitution.

Scuffles broke out after 57 members of the opposition Democrat party stood up simultaneously to voice their objections to the plans and refused to be silenced by the Speaker.

Television images showed politicians surrounded by police and grappling with them as they were marched towards the exit of the chamber, while screams were heard in the background.

"I was the first to be grabbed. The Speaker of the House told the parliament police officers to take the ones who were standing out of the room," opposition lawmaker Nipit Intarasombut told AFP. "It was chaotic."

Nipit, who said there were some 100 police in parliament at the time, said opposition MPs were angry at being denied time to speak about the proposals, which would change the senate to a fully elected body.

The plans are part of a contentious bid to amend a constitution written in the wake of a 2006 military coup that ousted then-leader Thaksin Shinawatra.

Deep divisions have torn Thailand since the coup, sparking years of political turmoil. Both Thaksin's "Red Shirt" supporters and nationalist "Yellow Shirt" enemies have taken to the streets in often bloody protests.

The current government led by Thaksin's sister Yingluck, which won elections in 2011, has recently been accused of fuelling tension by supporting an amnesty bill. The opposition fears it could lead to Thaksin's return from self-imposed exile.

Around 2,000 anti-government demonstrators converged near parliament earlier this month in an opposition-led rally against the amnesty bill -- which has since passed its first reading.

Debate in Thai parliament has a history of overheating.

In May 2012 police surrounded the house Speaker to protect him as Democrat MPs threw bundles of paper at him in protest at reconciliation proposals.

A month earlier there were red faces in the legislature when a graphic image of a naked woman in a provocative pose flashed across big screens during a debate on the constitutional amendments. At the time, officials blamed hackers.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-08-20

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thailand's parliament briefly descended into chaos.a circus................"

Thailand's parliament is always a circus...Ringling brothers could learn from them

Just looked at this on IN channel the speaker was accused of a few things, thought to favour the PTP AND restrict opposition speaking in the debate. When you have a (bent) speaker your going to always have problems and that is why the police are there because he isn't fair. So the BIB are always there in force.

Governments fair governing problem no one else at fault, as it's the oppositions right to object in the house if things are not on song.

• Like 1

BANGKOK, August 20, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's parliament briefly descended into chaos Tuesday as opposition lawmakers brawled with police during a debate on controversial proposals to amend the constitution.

That is how 'parliament' works...in chaos...but normally there isn't a 100 rozers in there to forcibly evict the opposition bah.gif

• Like 1

Television images showed politicians surrounded by police and grappling with them as they were marched towards the exit of the chamber, while screams were heard in the background

Nipit, who said there were some 100 police in parliament at the time

Ah democracy and free speech in action, why 100 police in parliament chamber at the time.....Yingluks stormtrooper in action

Why do I have a sad feeling Thailand headed towards another round of violence in the streets

I am not sure you are right.

I have just spoken to a couple of "hard core" democrats and they admit it's all over. They say this government already has complete control over the police and military and that all demonstrations will be stopped at the start as we have already seen.

The only thing to do is wait/. "Wait 20 or more years until the country has been raped and destroyed" - their own words..

I hope they are wrong but I certainly don't want to see violence and bloodshed again. I think we are in ffor some dark times one way or another.

There was more logical debate on The Muppet Show years ago.

Luckily hardly anyone watches the debates in Parliament as the 'elected' (hahaha) members of Parliament are an embarrassment to their country. I guess it's not the worst example of a democracy in the world, but it is close to being the most comical. I wouldn't like to trust any of these jokers with something serious like brushing their own teeth, crossing a busy road on their own or finishing their homework! The Thai Parliament is something like an exclusive Thai Mr. Bean politics club.

If you want to see the occasional Muay Thai fight, an MP waving a shoe at someone or police dancing in a circle around the House Speaker, then tune in for more fun tomorrow.

Better manners, ethics and a willingness to behave in public are more commonly found among kindergarten students. I dare to add that students of the same age have probably accomplished far more in the last 2-3 years than all the Thai politicians put together.

The present government - and I use the term 'government' loosely - are an absolute farce, even by normal standards in this part of the world. As for the opposition, they are not much better. Sadly, there is so little interest in the political future of the country by the majority of the population after years and years of listening to lies and arguments. Therefore, we can't expect the youth of Thailand to show much interest in the future of their country either until it affects them badly in the pocket. It is an economic crash like we had in 1997 that will hopefully force people to take more interest in their country's future.

Actually its all over Facebook.

• Like 1

Television images showed politicians surrounded by police and grappling with them as they were marched towards the exit of the chamber, while screams were heard in the background

Ah democracy and free speech in action, why 100 police in parliament chamber at the time.....Yingluks stormtrooper in action

Why do I have a sad feeling Thailand headed towards another round of violence in the streets

Only a matter of time, just a case of where, when and how bad it gets, oh well TIT....

An interesting snippet from the Nation on the new rules being implemented:

"If passed, the law will also remove a ban on parents, spouses and children of MPs, former MPs and political office holders, former party members, and former local politicians who have been out of their posts for less than five years, from applying as senatorial candidates. Some mandate of senators would also be changed."

• Like 1

An interesting snippet from the Nation on the new rules being implemented:

"If passed, the law will also remove a ban on parents, spouses and children of MPs, former MPs and political office holders, former party members, and former local politicians who have been out of their posts for less than five years, from applying as senatorial candidates. Some mandate of senators would also be changed."

That's a Bingo

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was wondering if Thaksin had a hard time figuring out whether to use his red shirt goons or BIB to silence the opposition.