California Wow founder pleads innocence

webfact

The reason for downfall I see with WOW is lack of any management, not even dual but crazy pricing - it was like a local market. I was charged xxx per month , while a friend was charged xxxx per month, while gf was charged xx per month.

Member retention was non existent , equipment faulty or broken for half of the time, poor and repetitive selection of music.

In my 80 years I knew many owners all claimed very easy to cheat health club members because most members are light with brains

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, did you think the LIFETIME membership was YOUR lifetime... that's crazy. You got what you paid for.. lifetime of California WOW.

Well actually yes, because that is what it says in the contract. You were'nt involved in any Pension schemes in the past were you? With that attitude, I'm guessing you have no problem if your life's savings in a pension scheme just disappear with a bankrupt, since it's not Your LIFE, just the lifetime of the company.......

In reality, most people saw that the whole financial structure of the company was unsustainable at the ridiculous prices they were selling lifetime memberships. Again it the CEO and board who are ultimately responsible for making sure the financial strategy is working, and if not change it. But all they did was keep reducing prices specifically for longterm membership to keep funds coming in, for products that were just outright lies, since they knew the company would not have any expenses related to them because it wouldn't be around when customers arrived to use the facilities, just like in all the other countries they've done the same scam!

The fact that Auditors and the SET didn't intervene or highlight the imminent demise, goes a long way to explain the actual reliability and usefulness of these 2 supposed monitoring and policing activities.........

I can however agree with one part of the statement above, which is, as in almost EVERYTHING in life, you get what you pay for (unless you are silly enough to enter into a long term contract with a company you have not investigated, or are naive enough to rely on a Government of a country renowned for corruption to do it for you).

TIT

Why is anyone blaming Eric Levine, as a foreigner he cannot own be a majority shareholder in any business... so why is he the fall guy?

Thailand can't have it's cake and eat it. Either Foreigners can own a business in Thailand or we cannot, and since we cannot.. stop blaming the Farang!!

Can't be the majority shareholder (but we all know lawyers offer ways round this one), but can be the MD/CEO running it. Don't know what his exact position was called, everybody knows it was him running it.

Access denied, utilities turned off, I wonder why? Call me sarcastic but could it possibly be because u weren't paying the bills!

Having no published membership scales, just leaving it up to sales people to get as much as they can from punters...... Very professional, and not even a little bit dodgy........

Massive bank transfers are not the kind of thing you can make up, they either happened or they didn't. I'm guessing they did if the reason for them is under investigation.......

Did his "plans and actions that were being taken for its recovery" include any reduction in his salary, and/or re-investment of the funds he'd already drained from the company putting it in the situation in the first place? Let me guess the answer to that one.......

In rsponse to Lemoncake's "many company's go belly up, it does not mean the CEO's are scumbags, it just means company's were either mismanaged or did not provide required service among many other reasons including cashf flow problems"

As CEO is it not his job to see that the company is properly managed??!!!! That the Finacial plan is viable? Oh, no, I must be mistaken, as CEO it was his job to sit around on his wrinkly old sunburned ass chatting up women!

Yes it is the job of CEO, however bad management does not make one a scumbag, just makes one a bad manager

PS. Ever been a CEO of any company?

Edited by lemoncake

Here is Levine's Exec profile from Businessweek

"Mr. Eric Mark Levine served as the Chief Executive Officer of California Wow Experience Public Company Limited and served as its Chairman. Mr. Levine holds a Doctor of Philosphy in Sport Science from Mannin University , UK. "

Mr. Levine holds a Doctor of Philosphy in Sport Science from Mannin University , UK.

Just one PROBLEM... google Mannin University and try to find out that it exists in any way

I found this:

Markets in Fake PhD's
A senior monk in Singapore has a fake PhD, it has been revealed;

Double trouble for Ren Ci Hospital. Straits Times did a write-up on Ren Ci’s
and the non-recognition of his
Mannin University doctorate (PhD)
in Singapore. It was reported that Ming Yi did not check if Mannin University or its PhD programmes were recognised here before he enrolled into them and he claimed that he did the PhD only for the sake of gaining knowledge.

Alright, I would give him the benefit of doubt that he did not intend to cheat on the management of Ren Ci but it is interesting to wonder why he chose the unknown Mannin University over other Singapore-recognised foreign universities for his Doctorate degree in Philosophy.

What do you think is the market value of fake educational qualifications?

Interesting.....

So perhaps he can be sued by the company for presenting false qualifications and some funds reclaimed that way.

Perhaps the government can prosecute him for presenting fake documents on his work permit etc applications......

Anyone got anymore info on this "University"?

"Mr. Eric Mark Levine served as the Chief Executive Officer of California Wow Experience Public Company Limited and served as its Chairman. Mr. Levine holds a Doctor of Philosphy in Sport Science from Mannin University , UK. "

Mr. Levine holds a Doctor of Philosphy in Sport Science from Mannin University , UK.

Just one PROBLEM... google Mannin University and try to find out that it exists in any way

I found this:

Markets in Fake PhD's

Double trouble for Ren Ci Hospital. Straits Times did a write-up on Ren Ci’s
and the non-recognition of his
Mannin University doctorate (PhD)
in Singapore. It was reported that Ming Yi did not check if Mannin University or its PhD programmes were recognised here before he enrolled into them and he claimed that he did the PhD only for the sake of gaining knowledge.

Alright, I would give him the benefit of doubt that he did not intend to cheat on the management of Ren Ci but it is interesting to wonder why he chose the unknown Mannin University over other Singapore-recognised foreign universities for his Doctorate degree in Philosophy.

Interesting.....

So perhaps he can be sued by the company for presenting false qualifications and some funds reclaimed that way.

Perhaps the government can prosecute him for presenting fake documents on his work permit etc applications......

Glad to see you know how business works. One does not need to present education degrees to obtain WP.

Now considering he was the founder and owner of the California WOW before it went public, he would only present fake qualifications to himselfthumbsup.gif

Why is anyone blaming Eric Levine, as a foreigner he cannot own be a majority shareholder in any business... so why is he the fall guy?

Thailand can't have it's cake and eat it. Either Foreigners can own a business in Thailand or we cannot, and since we cannot.. stop blaming the Farang!!

Can't be the majority shareholder (but we all know lawyers offer ways round this one), but can be the MD/CEO running it. Don't know what his exact position was called, everybody knows it was him running it.

Access denied, utilities turned off, I wonder why? Call me sarcastic but could it possibly be because u weren't paying the bills!

Having no published membership scales, just leaving it up to sales people to get as much as they can from punters...... Very professional, and not even a little bit dodgy........

Massive bank transfers are not the kind of thing you can make up, they either happened or they didn't. I'm guessing they did if the reason for them is under investigation.......

Did his "plans and actions that were being taken for its recovery" include any reduction in his salary, and/or re-investment of the funds he'd already drained from the company putting it in the situation in the first place? Let me guess the answer to that one.......

In rsponse to Lemoncake's "many company's go belly up, it does not mean the CEO's are scumbags, it just means company's were either mismanaged or did not provide required service among many other reasons including cashf flow problems"

As CEO is it not his job to see that the company is properly managed??!!!! That the Finacial plan is viable? Oh, no, I must be mistaken, as CEO it was his job to sit around on his wrinkly old sunburned ass chatting up women!

Yes it is the job of CEO, however bad management does not make one a scumbag, just makes one a bad manager

MD actually, but that's irrelevant. It's obvious he's a scumbag still taking hard earned money off of people for products he knew his company could never live up to. Actually I wasn't the person who called him a scumbag, more of a conman IMHO, but scumbag fits nicely. I actually met him once, slimey little F*%k@r is the phrase I'd use....

• Like 1

I went to Cal Wow in Chiang Mai once. It was full of beautiful girls. I said to the guy on the reception: "Which machine do you recommend I use to get the most attention?"

He said: "Try the ATM in the foyer".

ROFL good one!

MD actually, but that's irrelevant. It's obvious he's a scumbag still taking hard earned money off of people for products he knew his company could never live up to. Actually I wasn't the person who called him a scumbag, more of a conman IMHO, but scumbag fits nicely. I actually met him once, slimey little F*%k@r is the phrase I'd use....

Did he collect your money or was the money paid into company's bank account to pay the debt, rents and wages?

You were a MD, but do not know what is required for WP?

I found this:

Markets in Fake PhD's

Interesting.....

Glad to see you know how business works. One does not need to present education degrees to obtain WP.

Now considering he was the founder and owner of the California WOW before it went public, he would only present fake qualifications to himselfthumbsup.gif

Don't know who you get your work permits from, but EVERY SINGLE ONE I've ever had required them....... Perhaps u got your from Eric Levine Inc. that nice bloke with the franchise for Thailand Work Prrmits LOL

Edited by cyborgx
  • Like 1

I found this:

Markets in Fake PhD's

Interesting.....

Don't know who you get your work permits from, but EVERY SINGLE ONE I've ever had required them....... Perhaps u got your from Eric Levine Inc. that nice bloke with the franchise for Thailand Work Prrmits LOL

cheesy.gif , please post a link to Thai law which states degree is required to obtain WP for non teaching jobs

Interesting.....

cheesy.gif , please post a link to Thai law which states degree is required to obtain WP for non teaching jobs

Normally I wouldn't waste my time explaining to someone who says I'm incorrect about a statement I made, which is so obviously correct and evidence to the fact is so freely available, but just this once.....

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/work-permit-rules.php Certificate of Degree

http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/thai-work-permit-requirements.html Education Certificate (Degree)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/477081-new-work-permit-requirements-from-the-labor-department/ Work Permit Application form Section 2 (in Thai)

And since you seem to like your silly emoticons so much :beatdeadhorse: :redcard2: :crazy: :jerk:

An apology would be nice, but I won't hold my breath....

Edited by cyborgx

Normally I wouldn't waste my time explaining to someone who says I'm incorrect about a statement I made, which is so obviously correct and evidence to the fact is so freely available, but just this once.....

http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/thai-work-permit-requirements.html Education Certificate (Degree)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/477081-new-work-permit-requirements-from-the-labor-department/ Work Permit Application form Section 2 (in Thai)

Please accept my deepest apology, though does it say anywhere it is compulsory? or level required? ie bachelor or masters or diploma or certificate Edited by lemoncake

Please accept my deepest apology, though does it say anywhere it is compulsory? or level required? ie bachelor or masters or diploma or certificate

Well we all make mistakes, just better to check your facts before you start telling someone they are wrong and using silly emoticons to try to embarrass them.......

Google and use your Noodle before you doodle/doo-doo in a public forum.......

In answer to your question, it does say they are REQUIRED documents, and nowhere did I SAY what level was required, just that PERHAPS he could be prosecuted IF (as implied) the university documents were fake.

• Like 1

Please accept my deepest apology, though does it say anywhere it is compulsory? or level required? ie bachelor or masters or diploma or certificate

Well we all make mistakes, just better to check your facts before you start telling someone they are wrong and using silly emoticons to try to embarrass them.......

Google and use your Noodle before you doodle/doo-doo in a public forum.......

In answer to your question, it does say they are REQUIRED documents, and nowhere did I SAY what level was required, just that PERHAPS he could be prosecuted IF (as implied) the university documents were fake.

You are not answering my question, please be kind enough to answer the question.

Where does it say compulsory and what level of education is required?

I have had WP for 3 plus years and have never had to show any degree or anything supporting my education, everyone i know owners of businesses with WP never required to show also.

Also please provide evidence HE had to provide one and what exactly he provided? Not what you think he provided but clear evidence of what he did provide.

According to the open database of the corporate world, Mannin University was dissolved in January 1999, now i am not saying his degree is real or fake, but you insinuate it was a fake, so please provide some evidence that it was indeed fake and he did indeed provide it for his WP and that he did indeed had to provide it.

The obvious problem in the California Wow business model was taking upfront 'lifetime' memberships with a super small nominal fee thereafter (100-1,000thb per year). Once the money was spent there was no way to recoup for operating costs year on year. And as the gyms got more and more crowded it was less and less attractive for members. Each gym aged fast, was way over crowded and the renovations needed were just not financially allowed.

This is why Fitness First and True Fitness are still around and flourishing. In fact, the current owner of True Fitness was the original partner of Eric Levine before being screwed.

In Hong Kong, Eric's condo rental was about $100,000 US per month. I dare ask where all the funds have gone. I assume personal expenses for directors. That's my guess.

Throw a chicken into the water and see if they can swim

Actually, the black horned chicken of southeast Guatemala is considered a water fowl that can swim, dive for small fish and freshwater crayfish while swimming, not to mention hunt nocturnally on land. It's wings are more for quicker launches when running from prey or for water propulsion, but not for flying. Everyone knows chickens can't fly, only the chicken hawk.

Just kidding. I just thought of making something funny off a totally irrelevant topic. Hahahha.

• 8 months later...

He shouldn't waste time chewing the fat with the press, but should be firm in his lawsuit defense. He sounds likes he's fit to be tied, but maybe he just needs to slim down his rhetoric.

The man is a con-artist who planned this whole thing before establishing the business. He couldn't get away with this level of fraud in the US, and there are ways in Thailand law which allow the tricky white collar crimes to avoid prosecution due to lack of evidence. Everybody that works at the SET knows what the guy did. He's not the first person to do a trick like this. If he really isn't guilty, he would still be in Thailand. He's not afraid of the law here. He's afraid of some of the people he stole from.