Bought land and.........

akampa

It would be interesting if people posted how much of their net assets the land and property they are giving to their Thai wives represents.

So lets say land and a house are 10% of a persons assets. not so bad to walk away from. But if you are spending 50% your whole retirement fund. Yikes.

Interesting. Of course going into it no one thinks they will ever want to walk away some day. I've seen Thai women change (perhaps reveal their true colors) once the deal is sealed. The personality change makes the guy want to walk away.

yes i didn't think so at 30 years of age, but at 57 or after any divorce? That is all you should be thinking about. :)

I do think it is great that the OP loves his wife and wants her the have a house. There is also some fun/pain/satisfaction/ (?) in planing and watching a house being built.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the negativity is truly amazing.

Such bitterness.

The guy has bought a plot of land in his wifes name , so what ???

Why not wish him good luck with his building project ??

It's not always doom and gloom.

At Thaivisa you only hear the bad, never the good.

That's not true. There are some good threads but they just aren't as much fun biggrin.png

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Haha......post something positive and the worms will find their way in. Love/hate.

Congrats, but not exactly your purchase is it?

It was a given that somebody would post that comment and it didn't take very long.

The other two replies aren't even worth passing comment on, in my opinion.

Glad your purchase went smoothly. Try to ignore the rabble - they can only judge others by the company they themselves keep.

Did you just make a judgement?

Wow, the negativity is truly amazing.

Such bitterness.

The guy has bought a plot of land in his wifes name , so what ???

Why not wish him good luck with his building project ??

It's not always doom and gloom.

Push comes to pull I think it is only a small percent of the people who get ripped off. But they do make a lot of noise about it and people who just listen to them repeat it.

It seems like most Thai wife's want you to buy a house as that makes them secure. Understandable with the way many of them are treated in growing up and by the sexpat's that are constantly flowing through Thailand.

I refuse to buy a house or a condo and it took me three years before my wife became confident that I was not just going to dump her like she had seen happen to many of her friends. I do admit that the idea of buying land just to hold so if I die she would have some thing other than the money I have put aside in a separate account has crossed my mind.

There seems to be a few jealous renters posting negative comments on here,its

the guys money ,hes not a kid and can spend it anyway he wants,nobody can

tell the future,hope he has a long and happy life in the house hes going to build.

One piece of advice for him, make sure all your electrical work gets grounded (earthed)

properly, otherwise it could be a death trap.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

I am not sure what the horror stories are about buying land. It is normally a fairly straightforward process at the land office, if both buyer and seller have all required documents. Most of the horror stories concern what happens after the successful land purchase.

It is probably worth the OP getting a life time usufruct agreement in his name for greater peace of mind. If anything happened to his wife, the land and house would belong to her family and more than one TV member has found himself put out on the street in such circumstances. This doesn't happen only to farangs. One of my wife's Thai friends was "married" to her Thai hubby but they never got around to registering it. They lived happily for many years in a large house bought in his name in a famous village on a golf course near Bangkok. One night he went out for a cigarette in the garden and didn't come back into the house. After some time his wife went out to look for him and found him lying dead on the lawn, bitten by a cobra. He left no will and within a month his family had booted her out into the street and put the house up for sale.

I have bought 2 plots of land for my wife, one we live on and the other because it was so cheap it could only go up in value, thus ensuring her a retirement fund. I have a 20 year lease on the house and land, registered at the land office. I also have no illusions about my legal standing. I trust my wife, but if something were to happen to her, i'm screwed, her cousin was over to the house one New Years Eve, had a few drinks, told me that this is his house. I just laughed at him, as long as my wife is alive he'll never get it, and when she isn't i don't care. I bought the house for her, i wanted her to have it because she had nothing and i love her. When i give a gift, i don't expect to gain from it, or get it back.

you're a good man!

you are absolutely right about that, if your wife pass away, you loose the house.

hope it does not come to that any time soon. all the best.

I would dispute what you say about losing the house.

As far as I am aware your wife may bequeath you the property in her will but you have to sell the land with one year to a Thai or it will be purchased from you by the government at whatever they deem to be a fair price, less their 5 per cent fee.

If there is no will and she has many relatives it could become a real bunfight.

Depends.

If the real estate was bought legally, proven to be bought solely with the Thai wife`s money, than yes, the above applies.

BUT: if the real estate was actually financed by the farang husband, using his Thai wife`s name to front his ownership, then the wife`s family can contest the will in court, claiming that they are legally the next of kin.

I personal know of 3 cases where this has happened. On 1 case the husband was ordered to give 50% of the land, including buildings to the wife`s family, on the other 2 cases, the husband lost everything to the wife`s family.

Many posters have serious misconceptions. If you start out illegally, it may come back to smack you in the face later on.

• Like 1

I bought a house and put it in my daughters name. Since we both are parents the house cant be sold with both of us agreeing.

My daughter is two now, means 16 more years of us having control... whistling.gif

Forgot.

It can't be sold at all by anyone, until child is 20.

You need a court order to sell a child's property, and the courts don't cooperate.

It's also worth knowing that you can't apply for planning permission to build on land owned by a child. So it would be better to build first and then transfer to a child, if that's the ultimate intent.

For me, once I got grey hair; I quit dealing in grey areas. You are very much in one. I know it is illegal to give a Thai money to buy property. I don't know how a lawful marriage would affect that. I think the proper title for this thread would be "I gave my wife X, and she bought a piece of land we liked." Even the company set-up is not bullet proof, nor is using a lawyer as a nominee. Enforcement of the laws can change like the wind. Sometimes they will have full knowledge of your illegal activities for years before the crackdown.

• Like 1

I am not sure what the horror stories are about buying land. It is normally a fairly straightforward process at the land office, if both buyer and seller have all required documents. Most of the horror stories concern what happens after the successful land purchase.

It is probably worth the OP getting a life time usufruct agreement in his name for greater peace of mind. If anything happened to his wife, the land and house would belong to her family and more than one TV member has found himself put out on the street in such circumstances. This doesn't happen only to farangs. One of my wife's Thai friends was "married" to her Thai hubby but they never got around to registering it. They lived happily for many years in a large house bought in his name in a famous village on a golf course near Bangkok. One night he went out for a cigarette in the garden and didn't come back into the house. After some time his wife went out to look for him and found him lying dead on the lawn, bitten by a cobra. He left no will and within a month his family had booted her out into the street and put the house up for sale.

If she dies and no will, husband gets at least 50%.

Village weddings mean nothing, nothing to register, you ain't married.

I bought a house and put it in my daughters name. Since we both are parents the house cant be sold with both of us agreeing.

My daughter is two now, means 16 more years of us having control... whistling.gif

Forgot.

It can't be sold at all by anyone, until child is 20.

You need a court order to sell a child's property, and the courts don't cooperate.

Fragments of knowledge?

Can it be sold or not?

i doubt that only one parent has control, can you shed more light on this?

It needs a court order to become father.

After this it is equal, in case of divorce 50/50 when you are married.

Sometimes i wish a few Thais here would enlighten us on the law.

You can't sell a child's property.

Only one parent is appointed manager, name of parent is written on chanote, only death of the parent can change that appointment.

....and another Thai lady suddenly goes up in the world courtesy of the falang...house next and her dreams come true.

(the cynic in me)

...and that 's how it works here....it's just a matter of time...and they are very patient folks...

.....especially when they start with nothing.....

....they have nothing to lose...and everything to gain...

So unfortunate Mr. American/Thai has left the conversation. I feel bad because Americans are the most honest business contacts i had.

Yes. laugh.png

The appointed managing parent can pretty much do whatever they like to improve the property value.

They are not allowed to reduce it's value.

So you can build a house, but you can't knock one down, unless to build a bigger house.

If she dies and no will, husband gets at least 50%.

Village weddings mean nothing, nothing to register, you ain't married.

Just like the current PM http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2011/05/30/scorecard-on-abhisit-and-yingluck/

So unfortunate Mr. American/Thai has left the conversation. I feel bad because Americans are the most honest business contacts i had.

Yes. laugh.png

The appointed managing parent can pretty much do whatever they like to improve the property value.

So you can build a house, but you can't knock one down, unless to build a bigger house.

There should be a website to check on this, could you please be more elaborate?!

I feel we are getting no information at all, just hearsay..

The house and land where I live was inherited by my wife from her grandparents before we were married, although i have been paying ever since and probably will be doing so for the rest of my life. So we don`t win whichever way we go, but at least everything is legal.

We have 3 children, all grown up now. To cover my own a-se, for reasons that I have mentioned in my previous posts, we placed the land and house in the names of our 3 children years ago. The real estate was placed in all my kids names because when the old bird and I kick the bucket, there can be no disputes between the kids for what belongs to them, they all get an equal share of the action.

OK, this is how it works:

First, the property must be in the Thai spouse mother`s name, all above board and the legal owner under Thai law. If the original purchase is not completed strictly as prescribed under the law, then any disputes later on could render the trust null and void.

If for example the property is in the name of a third party, someone other than the Thai spouse, mother in law, family member or whoever, then the property has to be transferred into the name of the Thai mother first. 4 weeks later the mother can visit the local land office and transfer the property or land into the names and in trust for her Thai children. I cannot remember if the children have to be 20 or 21 years old before they can claim full rights of ownership over the property?

The reason for this procedure, is that although the property is placed into a child`s name, the mother is technically still the main owner, as the property is only put in trust for the child. The mother can still sell the property, receive planning permission for extensions and so on, before the kids reach adulthood.

If a Thai wife decides for whatever reasons to terminate the marriage from her farang hubby, then the husband may still be required to attend court, but he stands a much better chance of winning his case if the property is in the name of his child or children.

If the Thai wife dies, then farang hubby is safe, because none of her family or anyone else can lay claim to anything as the property is in her children`s names and hubby cannot be forced out or imposed to sell the property by the court.

Got it?

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

It was a given that somebody would post that comment and it didn't take very long.

Glad your purchase went smoothly. Try to ignore the rabble - they can only judge others by the company they themselves keep.

Hear hear.

These types are the ones getting had hence their jadedness.

Lifes too short, do what you feel is right.

Well done.

Yes. laugh.png

There should be a website to check on this, could you please be more elaborate?!

I feel we are getting no information at all, just hearsay..

The house and land where I live was inherited by my wife from her grandparents before we were married, although i have been paying ever since and probably will be doing so for the rest of my life. So we don`t win whichever way we go, but at least everything is legal.

We have 3 children, all grown up now. To cover my own a-se, for reasons that I have mentioned in my previous posts, we placed the land and house in the names of our 3 children years ago. The real estate was placed in all my kids names because when the old bird and I kick the bucket, there can be no disputes between the kids for what belongs to them, they all get an equal share of the action.

OK, this is how it works:

First, the property must be in the Thai spouse mother`s name, all above board and the legal owner under Thai law. If the original purchase is not completed strictly as prescribed under the law, then any disputes later on could render the trust null and void.

If for example the property is in the name of a third party, someone other than the Thai spouse, mother in law, family member or whoever, then the property has to be transferred into the name of the Thai mother first. 4 weeks later the mother can visit the local land office and transfer the property or land into the names and in trust for her Thai children. I cannot remember if the children have to be 20 or 21 years old before they can claim full rights of ownership over the property?

The reason for this procedure, is that although the property is placed into a child`s name, the mother is technically still the main owner, as the property is only put in trust for the child. The mother can still sell the property, receive planning permission for extensions and so on, before the kids reach adulthood.

If a Thai wife decides for whatever reasons to terminate the marriage from her farang hubby, then the husband may still be required to attend court, but he stands a much better chance of winning his case if the property is in the name of his child or children.

If the Thai wife dies, then farang hubby is safe, because none of her family or anyone else can lay claim to anything as the property is in her children`s names and hubby cannot be forced out or imposed to sell the property by the court.

Got it?

...so there is the light at the end of the tunnel...I will find out soon,as I'm planning to do just that.I would appreciate the details...PM's welcome...

My wife and I have been together for 5 years, married for 2 years. We currently live in the USA, but we will be relocating to Thailand in 5 years. We intend to buy a plot of land (around 1 to 2 rai) sometime in the next 3 years, and once in Thailand, will build a house together. I am hoping our purchase goes as smoothly as the OP's. I do not intend to spend more than 20% of our assets on the land and house. The balance of our assets is needed to fund our living expenses. If the worst happens and my wife and I don't make it as a couple, I am prepared to walk away from the house and land, leaving it with the wife, along with enough cash to fund her expenses for a year. My wife says I am being foolish and why would I think about that, but she actually wants to spend less on the house and land than I am willing to spend. I am hoping that we have a long and happy marriage, but frankly, it is only prudent to protect yourself if the worst happens. But who knows. My attitude may change in the next 5 years.

My wife and I have been together for 5 years, married for 2 years. We currently live in the USA, but we will be relocating to Thailand in 5 years. We intend to buy a plot of land (around 1 to 2 rai) sometime in the next 3 years, and once in Thailand, will build a house together. I am hoping our purchase goes as smoothly as the OP's. I do not intend to spend more than 20% of our assets on the land and house. The balance of our assets is needed to fund our living expenses. If the worst happens and my wife and I don't make it as a couple, I am prepared to walk away from the house and land, leaving it with the wife, along with enough cash to fund her expenses for a year. My wife says I am being foolish and why would I think about that, but she actually wants to spend less on the house and land than I am willing to spend. I am hoping that we have a long and happy marriage, but frankly, it is only prudent to protect yourself if the worst happens. But who knows. My attitude may change in the next 5 years.

As you and your wife are both living in the USA, this places you at a great advantage.

Is your wife presently working in the USA? If so, or even if she is not working, make sure you have joint USA bank accounts in both your names. Keep all your bank statements and any monies you transfer over to Thailand, do so in joint names or preferably only in your wife`s name, even if sending over to a joint account in Thailand. Keep all the transaction receipts.

Then if and when you decide to live or purchase land over here, and if at any time in the future the authorities decide to investigate your land ownership, or in the case of divorce, you can say that the real estate was 100% purchased with your wife`s money from her earnings in the United States. It is all legal, and it keeps everyone happy all round.

But please keep this between you and I, otherwise everyone will want to do it.

As the wise man says; cover your own a-se at all times.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Beetlejuice

First of all, you don't own anything in this life, you are just a caretaker. You take nothing with you when you leave. Now, the good advice. Use the UV and heat reflective roofs and foil/foam underneath, full insulation, 3 prong GROUNDED electrical with one size larger wire specs. Build it high and flood proof. Watch and inspect all materials and use top grade materials. Use all the modern tech possible and the sun/wind orientation of the land. Make it as energy and water efficient as possible.

Utilize trees and greenery. Good luck.

Nobody, or very few, go into a relationship/marriage thinking that it will end badly. We all hope it will go forever, but many don't, and the reasons for that don't matter.

I see it this way. If I was living in Thailand, I would assess what I would need to spend to be in a comfortable house in an area of my choice. I would then invest that money (or leave it invested, rather than withdraw it for a house), and use the dividends for rent and living expenses. For example, if you intended spending A$100,000 of your retirement funds on a property, invest that in Australian blue chip shares, just the top dividend paying companies, TLS, CBA, and other banks are at the top of the dividend paying companies currently. These shares are fully franked, and depending on buying price, currently returning 6.5% pa including franking credits, at today's price. That's $6500 a year on 100 grand. With a bit of creativity, because all companies don't pay dividends on the same date, you could easily do 10%+ by moving your money to another company after the dividend is paid, and the price has recovered. It doesn't always go that way, but often it does, so 6.5% is conservative.

If you need to borrow to build/buy a property, then the argument to rent is even more compelling. You don't have dividends coming in from investments, but you're not paying a bank interest just to have access to the money.

If you bought shares some time ago at a much lower price, then you're way in front, as you will be in the future anyway. Imagine having bought CBA at $7.00 when they floated about 20 years ago. You would have had capital appreciation from $7.00 to almost $75.00, good dividends along the way, and a current return on your initial investment of almost 70% !!! That's what investing can do, and you are at no risk of losing it to a money grabbing woman or her relatives. Of course, if you think she deserves it when you pop off, you can leave it to her in your will.

The thing to remember about share investing is that you don't stress about the day to day, or even year to year, fluctuations in price. CBA was $60.00 prior to the GFC, dropped to about $31.00 at the height of the crisis, and now 5 years later is almost $75.00. When you're retired as I am, income is what's important, not so much capital, and dividends provide that regardless of the share price. Sure, the dividend may vary a little year to year, but if you're in just the best companies, you're on easy street.

If you could somehow have a daily readout of your house value, day to day, year to year, you'd be doing a lot of stressing, but you (generally) don't worry about it, unless you need to sell.

The Dow index was about 14,000 prior to the GFC, dropped to 6800, but has now reached 15,000, 7% higher than it was pre GFC!!

For my money it would be to rent for a lot of reasons, and the above is only one of them. Then, if it all ends in tears, you have your money, had the experience, and move on. If you think for whatever reasons that you should give her a 'gratuity', then go ahead and write a cheque (English spelling throughout).

Edited by F4UCorsair

It would be interesting if people posted how much of their net assets the land and property they are giving to their Thai wives represents.

So lets say land and a house are 10% of a persons assets. not so bad to walk away from. But if you are spending 50% your whole retirement fund. Yikes.

... but ok if the wife is a well-established police officer ;)

Sorry -- I couldn't resist it...........w00t.gif

Is anybody aware of other companies in the business of 'pre-built' homes as Thai Lanna are www.thailannahome.com

I believe they are the high end of the market price wise, but the quality is not great, so I'd be interested in hearing of any others.

I certainly did. We all make judgements every day, it's how humans survive. They look at new situations and compare them to ones they have already experienced in order to make sense of them. The many negative posts on this thread tell me a lot about the people that posted them and their experiences.

However, I think this thread was started to let others know that the documentation involved in buying land can be completed quite easily. That it has degenerated into speculation about the trustworthiness of the OP's wife and the usual rubbish about "Thai women" that appears in so many other threads on ThaiVisa is a bit sad, in my opiniom.

Edited by inthepink

I certainly did. We all make judgements every day, it's how humans survive. They look at new situations and compare them to ones they have already experienced in order to make sense of them. The many negative posts on this thread tell me a lot about the people that posted them and their experiences.

However, I think this thread was started to let others know that the documentation involved in buying land can be completed quite easily. That it has degenerated into speculation about the trustworthiness of the OP's wife and the usual rubbish about "Thai women" that appears in so many other threads on ThaiVisa is a bit sad, in my opiniom.

...it is sad....what happened to this LOS (Land Of Smiles)?!sad.png

Hear hear.

Well done.

Easy to take a post out of context when only part of it is quoted.

And I wish the the OP all the very best with his venture and hope he has taken all necessary steps to ensure that all involved in the purchase and future build are protected to the maximum.

Hear hear.

Well done.

Easy to take a post out of context when only part of it is quoted.

And I wish the the OP all the very best with his venture and hope he has taken all necessary steps to ensure that all involved in the purchase and future build are protected to the maximum.

Hardly quoted out of context was it? The whole point of your post seemed to be to point out that it wasn't technically the OP who made the purchase, something that I am sure he is already aware of - wouldn't you agree?

Edited by inthepink

Oops!

Please quote whole posts not parts to suit one's agenda. It avoids any misconceptions.

It is now certain the OP is now fully aware of what is necessary to ensure that all proceeds without any problems.

Good luck to him and the family.

Edited by Thailand