Post Pregnancy Problems

We have a beautiful 5 kilo thai dog that we mated with another poodle looking thai dog and the result was 3 pups that are irresistible. That was March 12 and now the mother is is suffering from Calcium exhaustion and had the vet not come and put her on a drip I doubt she would survive the night. This post is only to help and inform of possible problems, we will separate the pups and mother immediately.

milk fever

cause - hypocalcemia (low blood calcium) and/or hypoglycemia(low blood glucose) in post partum

basically we wont add calcium for bitch while pregnant , coz it can be mal-formation in puppy .. we will start to add calcium tab. for the bitch after labour ( 1000 mg /day) while lactation till wean

the sign of milk fever > high fever , seizer ,hypernea,coma and shock

Tx - intravenous by calcium gluconate +Glucose (slowly iv ) ..(if fast ,it will be induced the dog to be vomitted)

Edited by BambinA

Thanks bambina you are spot on, I'm sure thats wot the Vet was saying albeit in Thai..only joking. My wife had the same problem wiv sow shortly after birth and she just bought a lot of glucose tablets and stuffed them into the pig..saved her life..the pigs' I mean of course.