What's Wrong with Renting?

mesquite

I have had a lot of Thais call my wife "Dante's wife" when introducing her, they almost always do it when speaking English.

What is an official organization?

I think he means "Court" but I am not entirely sure. For sure, no court in Thailand would entertain the dissolution of an unregistered marriage as "palimony" cases are not recognized here. A Thai couple/Thai-farang couple who later settled in Europe or North America, Australia, etc. would not make it past the front door of the courthouse without an official certified copy of the document registering their marriage at the Amphur.

Indeed he is also correct on the issue of children. Without a registered marriage the 'father' is nothing more than a glorified babysitter unless one or both of the parents petitioned the court for a document (the Thai name of which escapes me now) recognizing the father as the legitimate father. It does not matter who is named on the child's birth certificate.

or try getting a married visa extension from Thai immigration, as she is your 'wife'.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are the judge of who is married or not? You talked to the 10 monks and the 500 people at the wedding? You talked to the village elders and my wife's mother? I live in Thailand. Everyone I know including the mayor of the town calls my wife, my wife. My wife gave me a rental contract that I present to the officials at immigration and they call my wife my wife. I know at least 1000 people who call my wife my wife. You may disagree but it's 1000 to one who think she is my wife. What percent of Thai people register marriages? Maybe you could take a Thai culture lesson. We are not two lawyers discussing a legal point here. I pay my wife rent instead of buying her a house and you called me a sucker and said I had an abnormal marriage. Ya right!

No Thai will call her your 'wife', it's not a Thai word.

Without official marriage your relationship is mia/pua.

After legal marriage your relationship is panraya/samee.

Thais are very precise about such relationships, English translations of the Thai descriptions are imprecise.

No government or official organisation in the world will judge you to be married, you have no marital rights in Thailand, you wouldn't even be considered to be the father of any children, you had with her, by the Thai government.

I have had a lot of Thais call my wife "Dante's wife" when introducing her, they almost always do it when speaking English.

What is an official organization?

I think he means "Court" but I am not entirely sure. For sure, no court in Thailand would entertain the dissolution of an unregistered marriage as "palimony" cases are not recognized here. A Thai couple/Thai-farang couple who later settled in Europe or North America, Australia, etc. would not make it past the front door of the courthouse without an official certified copy of the document registering their marriage at the Amphur.

Indeed he is also correct on the issue of children. Without a registered marriage the 'father' is nothing more than a glorified babysitter unless one or both of the parents petitioned the court for a document (the Thai name of which escapes me now) recognizing the father as the legitimate father. It does not matter who is named on the child's birth certificate.

You miss the point. No one was debating the legal status of marriage in Thailand. A lot of Thais don't register marriages at the Amphur the Prime Minister is one of them and this is not unusual in Thailand but that is not the point either.

The point was that I pay a woman rent who I and all of our acquaintances and family and Thai officials to include city government, police, Army and Navy, school teachers and monks refer to as my wife (they all came to the wedding it was a very posh affair).

It is rent because the money will not be used to get me equity in her home. It is her house. She can do with it what she likes.

Lewis Grizzard once said, I don't think I'll get married again. I'll just find a woman I don't like and give her a house. I know this applies to the West but I don't know if it also applies in Thailand. I've never met Lewis Grizzard in person.

Buying or renting is in most cases not just a financial decision. Are you married, kids, what is your risk profile etc..a few percent here or there not does no make for a very persuasive argument.

Exchange rates and the restrictions on farangs is what really matters..

If single, surely renting is in most cases the correct decision especially here.

As for the wife or not wife argument, it is not uncommon not to register amongst Thais, but I always thought that it was a given with Thai/ farang relationships, given visa, resettlement etc...but that has nothing to do with this topic..

there was a rent/buy scenario given: buy 2.2 million or rent for 11,000. Here is the answer: take purchase price and divide by annual rent: 2,200,000/121,000 you get a ratio of 18.18. That's too high. That's only a 6% gross, you really want 12% if not 18%.

An Australian accountant taught me to look at it this way. Take 40% of gross rent to cover all expenses and fees. Subtract P & I from the other 60%. That gives you net cash flow. Say you paid cash. that would leave you with 6600 per month * 12=79,200 per year. 79,200 + 2,200,00 would be a 3.6% net, Phillip Morris just increased their dividend for the 47th time in 44 years. It's yielding 5.6%.

Thighlander I'm a math person, but I don't quite understand your reply.

Where do you get the 6% number from? Are you saying it is better to buy or rent in this scenario? I'm confused.

there was a rent/buy scenario given: buy 2.2 million or rent for 11,000. Here is the answer: take purchase price and divide by annual rent: 2,200,000/121,000 you get a ratio of 18.18. That's too high. That's only a 6% gross, you really want 12% if not 18%.

An Australian accountant taught me to look at it this way. Take 40% of gross rent to cover all expenses and fees. Subtract P & I from the other 60%. That gives you net cash flow. Say you paid cash. that would leave you with 6600 per month * 12=79,200 per year. 79,200 + 2,200,00 would be a 3.6% net, Phillip Morris just increased their dividend for the 47th time in 44 years. It's yielding 5.6%.

Thighlander I'm a math person, but I don't quite understand your reply.

Where do you get the 6% number from? Are you saying it is better to buy or rent in this scenario? I'm confused.

Well, I get the 6% part. He's just taking the inverse of the 18.18 (it's actually 5.5%). Saying that it should be 12% or 18% implies to me that he's saying buy/rent ratio (I think of it as pseudo-payback period) should be as little as 5 - 8! Since 18+ is nowhere near that, not a good buy. Either the price is too high, or an appropriate rent potential isn't there.

Based on the expected cashflow (from renting it out...), I think he's saying it's also not a good investment, therefore better to rent it than buy it. (Or maybe neither if there's some reason for the rent being so low.)

In Thailand, he expects buy-rent ratios of only 5 to 8? 'Not sure I get that. This site suggests it's currently around 16 for the country, which is less, but not dramatically so, than the 18.18 in this example.

BTW - I think the ' + ' sign in the 2nd para computation should be a ' / '...

79,200 / 2,200,000 = .036

Buying or renting is in most cases not just a financial decision. Are you married, kids, what is your risk profile etc..a few percent here or there not does no make for a very persuasive argument.

From what I have seen a foreigner buying a house for a Thai wife up front destabilises the marriage, this is what I see happening:

1. She now has financial power over her foreigner husband.

2. She doesn't need him as much.

3. She is more likely to become unfaithful/stop having sex with the foreigner.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

That's correct, should be a "\". You seem to get it. I was talking more on a global basis, but you could find 12% gross in Thailand. My house at Banwangtan was purchased for 915,000, and I had people wanting to rent it for 10,000 per month....that would be less than 8. The condo I almost bought three years ago at the ChiangRai Condotel for 415,000, would have rented for 5000 per month....less than 7. Would I pay 16X? or even 18X? Only if it were in a very special place that could not be duplicated. Example', Georgetown, Washington DC. A place that rents for 4000 per month, would probably sell pretty fast for 1.5 million. That's 30X. But you get an 18th Century Townhouse, in a neighborhood where George Washington surveyed the streets on the west side of Rock Creek, where there is far less crime than the other side. Land is worth a fortune, and there is a most finite supply of these homes. Also, there are fairly low height restrictions; so no 100 floor monsters going up around there. You could also justify it in Bangkok or Chiangmai if the land is worth a lot more than the structure. But, your big payday will come with the bull-dozer, after the foreign bar owner is told to beat it, or the food stalls are demolished, etc...Like canal st. in BKK. About a dozen bargirl bars in what were oretty much bamboo shacks. Now it's a 60+ floor Sofitel. I expect several of the owners were shocked and unprepared to vacate, but when you are paying cheap rent in a prime location; you need to look at the big, big picture or the unknown, unknown as Mr. Rumsfield would say. It's another reason the landlords won't do any maintenace at some of the hotels, they know the wreckiing ball is coming, like at the Miami Hotel in BKK. Land is worth 100 times more than the building, and in fact teh land would be worth more without the building on it, which is a fairly popular hotel.

From what I have seen a foreigner buying a house for a Thai wife up front destabilises the marriage, this is what I see happening:

I wish these things were not true, but they are. My observation has been when a Thai wife/gf gets the upper hand, no matter in what manner, she will exploit that advantage.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

What popular games could be used to describe the Thai Economy. Dominoes? Musical Chairs? Or just good ole lighting one's farts with a butane lighter? A serious correction is due in the housing market, and it has been for several years, which is likely to make it worse. I would wait for those ratios to come down. 65,000 PSM in Chiang Rai is absolutely nuts.

• Like 2

What popular games could be used to describe the Thai Economy. Dominoes? Musical Chairs? Or just good ole lighting one's farts with a butane lighter? A serious correction is due in the housing market, and it has been for several years, which is likely to make it worse. I would wait for those ratios to come down. 65,000 PSM in Chiang Rai is absolutely nuts.

As an alternative for those TV posters who did not drop out of school they might want to take a look at Land & Houses Pcl (LH), the Thailand’s biggest residential property developer by market value. This years graph as well as the 5 year one gives a pretty good idea of the condition of the housing market.

4. she pees in the noodle soup she prepares for him.

5. uses the horrible insulting F-word (Farang) when referring to him.

6. gets pregnant by having sex with the gardener.

The Gardner I presume is her Thai husband!!

No, he doesn't do the gardening or perform any other type of work. He just sits in the grog shop with his buddies waiting for the next hand out of farang money from his wife.

Musicals chairs sounds about right, or in a more appropriate context the situation is called "the greater fool theory" whistling.gif The Chinese real estate market is in an even more precarious situation than in Thailand, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out especially with the BRIC countries. India and Brazil have already begun to falter, and as the manufacturing sector cools in China it will be next. Russia may be the only BRIC left standing thanks to its vast natural resouces (in particular its petro resources), however Russia could get sucked into the inevitable middle east war and pay a dear price for backing Iran and Syriasad.png

Renting, even a condo in LOS, is probably the best option for most people anywhere in the world, be they expat or native.

'Buying' was the only realistic option for my esoteric purposes, but i don't care about the financial/investment implications nor do I care what happens to it all after I die.

• Like 1