Looking for a large screen phone

mike111

Mates,

Im thinking of buying a large screen phone. by large I mean 5" or more.

A few questions:

1. is the imobile brand any better than the other chinese brands (oppo, mondo,etc)? the latter seem to be cheaper.

2. are the imobile phones rootable? can the other chinese phones be rooted?

3. can the os on imobile be upgraded at their service centre?

TIA

How large do you want / how much do you want to spend?

You can get a Galaxy Note 8 with 3g, they look and work just like other Galaxy phones, you can use them with bluetooth headset if you don't want to look like a weirdo holding it to your ear, lol. Fairly cheap too comparing to flagship galaxy phones.

Samsung Grand : http://www.siamphone.com/spec/samsung/galaxy_grand_duos.htm

Samsung Win : http://www.siamphone.com/spec/samsung/galaxy_win.htm

Samsung Mega : http://www.siamphone.com/spec/samsung/galaxy_mega_5.8.htm

SamsungCore.. only 4.3.. :

http://www.siamphone.com/spec/samsung/galaxy_core.htm

There are I-mobile phones as well but they are ltd to 4g rom.

And to answer your questions

1) Yes.. maybe , better back up . Samart is a big thai company.

2)Yes.. most of the MTK chipsets can be rooted

3)Yes. if I-mobile have an upgrade on the firmware or OS it's free at the service centers.. later phones have OTA updates.

Edited by thaicbr

I use the the Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3"
It might not have the highest specs but I really don't have a need for it.

It has a really big 6.3" screen and the battery lasts all day.

Installed the Nova Launcher and it is now a really awesome looking phone.

This is a hybrid of a phone and a tablet - a phablet.

I have not used my ipad in a long while.

The only negative I have is it won't fit into some of my pockets.

Edited by sensei
  • Like 1

Yes with those +5" screens they are so big that you need pants/shorts with pockets on the legs or buy a porch that can sit in your belt (I use that).

I must say I been impressed with my IQ4 to 8500 baht so far, I used it a lot for e-net when I was in Indonesia for 2 month work recently and the 2 sim card slot is very handy too.

My old Samsung Note1 failed after about 1.5 year use so I will never again spend more than about 10.000 max baht on a phone, the Note was 22.000sad.png

• Like 1

You can get a Galaxy Note 8 with 3g, they look and work just like other Galaxy phones, you can use them with bluetooth headset if you don't want to look like a weirdo holding it to your ear, lol. Fairly cheap too comparing to flagship galaxy phones.

and people really do look like weirdos when they're holding up their tablets to their ears!! "oh look at me, I gots me a tablet"!! lol Take this chaps advice and get the bluetooth headset!

You can have a look at Experia Z which is very light and water resistant, good for sonkran. Samsung is also bringing out the S4 Zoom with a very good camera, but expensive. The S3 or S4 mini is worth looking at, cheaper than the full grown ones but still have plenty of futures. You can wait for the new iPhone, but rooting can be a problem. These days there are so many options its confusing. Just be careful of rooting as it could influence your warranty and security of the phone.

Never fails to amaze me, not ONE of you have actually answered the ops question, he was very specific in asking about the imobile phone.

Probably because we didn't know the answer but had relevant information that op might have found interesting. Seems u have neither so jog on

• Like 1

How cheap is the galaxy Note 8 and where did you see it? I maybe in the market for one

Yes with those +5" screens they are so big that you need pants/shorts with pockets on the legs or buy a porch that can sit in your belt (I use that).

I must say I been impressed with my IQ4 to 8500 baht so far, I used it a lot for e-net when I was in Indonesia for 2 month work recently and the 2 sim card slot is very handy too.

My old Samsung Note1 failed after about 1.5 year use so I will never again spend more than about 10.000 max baht on a phone, the Note was 22.000sad.png

Agreed regarding spending gobs of money for electronics. Esp in this hot climate. The heat is an MTBF killer!

Thanks for the heads up on IQ4. The price is right, and the dual sim card slot would be nice!

How is the screen, ph connection, voice quality ect?

I'm assuming nominal to above since you were impressed by it, esp given the price.

Agreed regarding spending gobs of money for electronics. Esp in this hot climate. The heat is an MTBF killer!

Thanks for the heads up on IQ4. The price is right, and the dual sim card slot would be nice!

How is the screen, ph connection, voice quality ect?

I'm assuming nominal to above since you were impressed by it, esp given the price.

The screen is a 5" 720x1280 pixels which is quite good for the price. phone connection and voice as good as any I tried.

Mini sd card up to 32gb, rom 4 gb and 1gb ram which is good enough for me.

It runs 4.1 (jelly bean) but updates have to be done at a I-mobile shop (so far none).

Battery last a long time in st.by mode and okay during heavy use.

It's a steal for the money and as I said very happy with it and I wont cry if it brakes down after 1-2 years.

Please note that I-mobile makes new models all the time so it's a bit confusing and some of them also uses a strange network band where you can't use then in certain countries and even service providers here in Thailand. The IQ4 is okay but not the IQ6 where you have to choose between a IQ6 or a IQ6A model depending of which network you want.

• Like 1

How cheap is the galaxy Note 8 and where did you see it? I maybe in the market for one

Hey, they are everywhere, drop in at any Samsung shops and check, do not confuse them with a 7.7" previous model. The price was around 15,000 or something if I remember right, but I didn't really look at prices, not interested in getting one.

^^^ Dude, awesome breakdown. Exactly the info I wanted. even gave me a pricepoint!!

NICELY DONE!thumbsup.gif

Would look at the lenovo s920 at 9690 baht - http://www.tohome.com/product_detail.aspx?product_id=20130700097&Product_name=Lenovo%20Seine%20S920%20(2%20SIM)

quad core processor instead of dual for more grunt, bigger battery, and slimmer. Has dual sim and 720p screen too.

Lenovo respected computer brand and has android 4.2 instead of 4.1.1, but no idea which one updates quicker

• Like 1

^^^ Dude, awesome breakdown. Exactly the info I wanted. even gave me a pricepoint!!

NICELY DONE!thumbsup.gif

Would look at the lenovo s920 at 9690 baht - http://www.tohome.com/product_detail.aspx?product_id=20130700097&Product_name=Lenovo%20Seine%20S920%20(2%20SIM)

quad core processor instead of dual for more grunt, bigger battery, and slimmer. Has dual sim and 720p screen too.

Lenovo respected computer brand and has android 4.2 instead of 4.1.1, but no idea which one updates quicker

A great suggestion! a 2013 released quad processor running at 1.2ghz wiith 28nm maskset! all for under 10k baht!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaTek

Do you or anyone have one? on paper, this thing rocks!

For some reason I can't edit the above post... But I wanted to add that if you plan to use AIS only (900/2100 MHz), you could as well consider Sharp Aquos Phone with 5" full HD IGZO screen, which has now dropped to 10,900 Baht.

(IGZO is like IPS screen, but with wider colour and dynamic range and 30-40% lower power consumption. Apparently Oppo Find 5 is also using IGZO, as will iPhone 5s. Unlike AMOLED, it doesn't burn out.)

Like many other phones, it does not support 850 MHz 3G band, which DTAC and TrueMove-H are using for 3G.

There is no 850 MHz model for Sharp, like for example for LG Optimus G Pro, where 900/2100 is supported by 988 model and 850/2100 by 989 model. That is pretty annoying if you decided to switch telecom later, and your phone can no longer be used after the switch.

Seems the OP has already decided on iMobile though, and Huawei, Sharp and somewhat Samsung, despite latter being in much higher pricing range, were just suggestions on where to look for a phone that would likely last longer than iMobile's.

I had iMobile phones before, and can't say that the phones were particularly good, in fact they weren't at all, except on paper. But the iMobile service was, with exception of Samsung, by far the worst experience ever, which I would not even wish for my worst enemy.

Despite what's written here, I would suggest the OP to walk down to a shop with a wide variety of phones, and hold them in his hand before deciding which to buy.

This is like buying a laptop; it doesn't matter how good specs it has or how good it looks, when keyboard, mouse or screen are useless :)

Please when you state you had I-mobiles before could we have a time frame of when you had them . What phone. What was bad about service.

I-mobile are not the best phones on the market. But the price point reflects that. Saying that the other manufacturers are finally delivering decent phones at similar price points.

I have been satisfied with my I-mobile.. other than no upgrade to Jb . But other phone companies have done the same. When I bought it. It was the best bang for the buck out there.. now there is more choice... the op should certainly look at other phones. Decide a price point. What he wants the phone to do a go with it.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Very good specs indeed and as you said respected pc brand.

If I was on the market I would defiantly check this baby out.

I will never be brand loyal on anything, cars-TV's- phones and whatever but always go for the best deal I think I can get.

Like many other phones, it does not support 850 MHz 3G band, which DTAC and TrueMove-H are using for 3G.

There is no 850 MHz model for Sharp, like for example for LG Optimus G Pro, where 900/2100 is supported by 988 model and 850/2100 by 989 model. That is pretty annoying if you decided to switch telecom later, and your phone can no longer be used after the switch.

Given that i want connectivity thru DTAC or TrueMove (or some other provider with similar coverage in Thailand),

what are the top cost effective options? I'm also paying gobs of money for nice ph, only to see it die.