reading window files on a USB drive

vagabond48

I am taking a trip back to the US and I going to buy an Asus 1015E netbook with Ubuntu.

I want to bring one of my large USB drives used with my window 7 notebook.

The burning question is whether Ubuntu will easily recognize the USB drive and the files within so I can loaded them to the Asus hard drive.

The drive will have various downloaded software which are mostly portable apps that I want to install.

It also has loads of video and audio files that I want to play.

I do want to add that I have never used Linux OS although I am fairly experienced with dealing with PC issues.

The Asus 1015E also comes with a genuine copy Windows 8 64bit for another $40.

Since the netbook is only $209 with Ubuntu, I'd be paying another 20% for window 8 which I really don't want.

I wouldn't have thought twice if it came with windows 7.

Thanks for any helpful advice.

'Wine' is the package for Ubuntu that enables you to run windoze programs (ie .exe files)

Just open Synaptic Package Manager, and search for wine.

It is a bit fiddly at first, but google/ubuntu forums are your friends.

Cheers, AA

If your apps are that important and you don't see the linux version already installed in Ubuntu then buy the linux version and a copy of win7 and install it. Don't they have something like 2GB of RAM? I think you may still find the 32bit version of win7 Home premium for around 3k, and even much cheaper versions if you know where to look. If the drive is large enough you can dual boot it. Linux can mount and read the NTFS and fat32 file systems so they can share the Data areas.

Edited by RKASA

'Wine' is the package for Ubuntu that enables you to run windoze programs (ie .exe files)

Just open Synaptic Package Manager, and search for wine.

It is a bit fiddly at first, but google/ubuntu forums are your friends.

Cheers, AA

I read about Wine yesterday, so that might be an option. Thanks

If your apps are that important and you don't see the linux version already installed in Ubuntu then buy the linux version and a copy of win7 and install it. Don't they have something like 2GB of RAM? I think you may still find the 32bit version of win7 Home premium for around 3k, and even much cheaper versions if you know where to look. If the drive is large enough you can dual boot it. Linux can mount and read the NTFS and fat32 file systems so they can share the Data areas.

Originally I had planned to install windows 7 but the Asus 1015E doesn't come with a dvd drive and yes, it comes with 2G RAM. It comes with 320G drive divided in 2 partitions but I don't know the size of drive C.

I haven't researched,

(1) how to load a window 7 installation dvd to a flash drive.

(2) how to install windows 7 from a USB drive

(3) how to setup a dual boot which sound like a great idea.

Wot they all said.

I'll add that if an app won't run under wine--and you think you've GOT to have it (but I dunno why)--then if you've got a copy of, say, XP, lying around, you can just install and run that as a guest under VirtualBox and then run your precious app there.

I do that w/ my netbook running Lubuntu 'cause it's useful sometimes to have a Windows installation for supporting users who will only run Windows. Works great other than kinda slow.

It's not difficult and beats dual booting since I don't run games on my netbook. No need to fool around w/ partitions.

Edited by JSixpack

Originally I had planned to install windows 7 but the Asus 1015E doesn't come with a dvd drive and yes, it comes with 2G RAM. It comes with 320G drive divided in 2 partitions but I don't know the size of drive C.

I haven't researched,

(1) how to load a window 7 installation dvd to a flash drive.

(2) how to install windows 7 from a USB drive

(3) how to setup a dual boot which sound like a great idea.

You would pay 3000 baht for Windows 7, but not 1200 for Windows 8?? You can add Classic Shell to Windows 8 if you miss the familiarity.

If you wish to install an OS via USB you can use the Windows 7 USB Download Tool or Rufus.

You would pay 3000 baht for Windows 7, but not 1200 for Windows 8?? You can add Classic Shell to Windows 8 if you miss the familiarity.

If you wish to install an OS via USB you can use the Windows 7 USB Download Tool or Rufus.

I never wrote I would pay 3000B for W7.

Anyway, I decided to go the easy route and get the Asus with W8 for the extra $40 since I want the netbook ready to go on my trip.

I'll check out the Classic Shell.

When I get back, I might replace W8 with W7.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.