marriage and uk visa Hello everyone

Hello everyone

This is my first message and I guess I need apologise for more than likely asking repeated questions that you have had before

I have known my Thai lady for 2 years and have proof i.e. Phone records e mails and Skype conversations also flights x 2 to china and china hotels where we stayed whist visiting trade shows together

ok the nitty gritty

I am going out in next 4 weeks and we will go thru the Thai marriage ceremonywhich she wants and I have no objection to doing... I need some advice please

Do you think its a good idea that we register official paperwork to UK embassy afterwards so marriage is recognised in UK as official and then apply for a UK visa for her or should we maybe wait and apply for a fiancée visa and we get married here in UK which is best and is one prefered by UK embassey over the other ??

I am really lost and clueless and don’t know what is the best route all I get is conflicting advice

What do you think is the best move marry and apply or apply for the fiancée visa and marry in UK?

One other question do you know or can advise just who is the best company to help with the visa application there are so many and so many only seem to be interested in taking your money again help would greatly be appreciated

Thank you all and hope you can give me sound and good advice

Thanks again d

1) You cannot register a foreign marriage at a British embassy. What you can do is deposit a copy of your Thai marriage certificate via the embassy with the General Registry Office in the UK for safe keeping.

Doing this only means that you can obtain a copy of it from the GRO at some future date if you wish.

Not doing it will make no difference to the legal status of your marriage in the UK; nor to any visa application she may make as your wife.

Most people don't bother.

See here if you do want to do it.

2) Under the Foreign Marriages Act 1898, any marriage which is legal in the country where it took place is also legal in the UK.

If you are legally married in Thailand then not only do you not need to marry again in the UK, you can't; because under both Thai and UK law you are already legally married.

A ceremonial marriage in Thailand is not a legal marriage under Thai law, and so is not recognised as such under UK law. To be a legal marriage in Thailand, and so legal in the UK as well, you have to register the marriage at an ampur.

Thai law requires all foreigners who wish to marry in Thailand to sign an Affirmation of Freedom to marry in front of a consular official at their embassy, have it translated into Thai and the translation certified by the Ministry of Foreign affairs. You can then register your marriage at any ampur.

You will find the procedure, an example AFM and the consular fee under Affirmation of Freedom to Marry on this page.

3) Unless you have a specific reason for marrying in the UK I would advise marrying in Thailand and her applying as your spouse. Applying as your fiancée requires an additional application be made, and paid for, in the UK once the marriage has been registered in the UK; which must be within 6 months of the fiancée visa being issued.

See UK Settlement Visa Basics for more details.

4) If the application is straightforward then there is probably no real need for you to engage a visa agent. Feel free to ask any questions you may have here.

However, if you anticipate difficulty or simply want to use an agent for your own peace of mind, then I advise you to read Visa Agents first.

I know of several visa agents in Thailand, how they operate and their expertise or otherwise; some run by Thais, most run by Brits.

But the only ones I know to be both honest and competent are Paul and Tony at Thai Visa Express. Both of whom are members of this forum and post advice here regularly.

• Like 1

We got married 7 years ago by way of a Thai ceremony and then registration at the local Amphur. We then had the marriage certificate translated into English and then legalised in BKK. Using an agent, the cost at that time was 5,000 Bhat and it was all completed in 24 hours. Visa application followed and we had no problem and have had no problem since. My wife now has UK citizenship and a UK passport. All of the agencies in the UK are happy to accept a Thai marriage certificate, so long as attached is a certified translation. We got 4 certificates from the Amphur to cover losses, new applications etc. suggest that you do the same.

Thanks for the recommendation, 7x7.

7x7 is right, many people can do their applications without using an agent. But, if you want, or need, assistance then Paul at Thai Visa Express will be pleased to give a free consultation. Usually, the main concern for applicants and sponsors is getting the financial side of things correct. The financial requirements can be a minefield, depending on how you intend to meet those requirements.

Tony M

• Like 1