Children's World at Rachaphreuk

millwall_fan

If any of you are thinking of taking your children to the Children's world that runs from 22-28 August, my advice would be to save your children disappointment by not taking them.

True it's only 25 Baht to get in and the kids themselves go free, but when you get into the pavilion, apart from the ubiquitous finger painting and colouring- which you had to queue for ages for as it was the only constructive thing to do, everything else was blatantly commercial or just plain rubbish: bug World contained no live bugs and.did house several large plastic fish that don't really qualify as bugs. The Zoo's promotional stand had a live lemur-type animal that looked absolutely terrified. The Night Safari stand had some very agitated parrots and cockatoos that a few of the more disreputable parents whipped up into a frenzy of anger by pulling their tails. There was a talent show, again if you didn't mind waiting ages for your turn on the mike. There were expensive reading books and childrens clothes on sale and that was about it. No bouncy castle, no magician, no footballs; none of the things that my 5 year old was hoping to enjoy. Instantly forgettable! In the end we took him to Tesco's to let him play in the ball enclosure - which he thoroughly enjoyed.

• Like 2

Thanks the missus just mentioned it only a moment ago and I winched but had no facts to fall to. There is a market with lots of kids stuff, rides and bouncy house, next to the new Lotus across from Rimping/Rumchook on Sat. nights. Meant to go there last night but decided to check out the lantern festival which was not that spectacular but to be fair couldnt find parking so didn't walk around Thae Pae Gate area.

For some reason I like those older rides as long as they are not too dangerous. The slow pace, corny music and the quaint graphics and just the kitsch of it all. Kind of refreshing that the kids here aren't so spoiled by huge roller coasters etc. and seem to enjoy them still, at least for now.

Better off taking the tin lids to "Kids At Play" at Promenada. Not exactly cheap but the kids love it. And still cheaper than going through all the malarkey you went through.

'Not exactly cheap'? It is expensive. The 3 hour charge is crazy for younger kids who last around 45 minutes. It has to be a special treat before I take the kids there.

• Like 2

"There were expensive reading books and childrens clothes on sale and that was about it."

I was at one of the malls a couple of weeks ago (I think the new one but forget now). There were 2 women selling these interactive children's books where you use a wand kind of thing and there is some narration. My kid was really interested in the books and really enjoying himself playing with the demo. I took a glance at the books (imported of course) and was really impressed with the subject matter, very advanced for young kids. The lady said to me "your child loves it! would you like to buy the set?" I asked how much and the answer - 30,000 THB for the basic set! A little OTT considering kids outgrow books and learning devices so quickly. Looked to me they hadn't made a sale all day but I could be wrong.

junglechef don't bother with the place next to Tesco. It's a muddy mess selling the usual junk food, used clothes, etc. and the children's things (about 2 of them) are as old as the hills. My kid wouldn't get on them.

• Like 1

Better off taking the tin lids to "Kids At Play" at Promenada. Not exactly cheap but the kids love it. And still cheaper than going through all the malarkey you went through.

'Not exactly cheap'? It is expensive. The 3 hour charge is crazy for younger kids who last around 45 minutes. It has to be a special treat before I take the kids there.

Agreed. I've been bouncing back and forth emails to their manager stating the fact that 3 hours is just not needed for most kids. They are knackered after an hour or two max.

Not fair that there is no "hourly" option. We have 3 kids and it gets pricy for all of them.

• Like 2

Agreed. I've been bouncing back and forth emails to their manager stating the fact that 3 hours is just not needed for most kids. They are knackered after an hour or two max.

Not fair that there is no "hourly" option. We have 3 kids and it gets pricy for all of them.

And...as I understand it, under 4 y/o a parent must accompany the kids and of course pay to get in also!

And...as I understand it, under 4 y/o a parent must accompany the kids and of course pay to get in also!

Yes, no very "Kosher" at all.

DaamNaam: Fair - cheesy.gifcheesy.gif !! But actually their pricing policies are up to them and to agree to pay them is up to us. As for kosher they don't even know what Jews are here biggrin.pngbiggrin.png .

elektrified: thanks for the heads up of the place next to Lotus, it's going to be hard not to check it out as the kids keep seeing it and want to, which I have no real problem with. But we all, including me, had a good time at the place just inside Tesco Mall with the coin operated games and rides, appropriate ones for my 1 yr old and race car driving for myself and the older boys then to Dairy Queen, all were happy. Simple, inexpensive and convenient. I also checked out those 30K books outside Rimping once, they must get a lot sticker shocked looks (like this bah.gif )!

Edited by junglechef
  • Like 1

I also checked out those 30K books outside Rimping once, they must get a lot sticker shocked looks (like this bah.gif )!

Actually one of the ladies was very friendly and seemed to enjoy conversing with me in English. She said the majority of her customers so far have been Thais visiting from Bangkok.

• Like 1

No will will towards the people who were manning the booth, very nice and professional to me too, but something at that price must be a hard sell especially in a location that normally has the regular brick and brack. I was interested, as it seems you were too and no doubt many others, but once being hit with the price of a motorbike (or a years tuition in one of the city's best private schools) it was a surprise to say the least.

• Like 1

No will will towards the people who were manning the booth, very nice and professional to me too, but something at that price must be a hard sell especially in a location that normally has the regular brick and brack. I was interested, as it seems you were too and no doubt many others, but once being hit with the price of a motorbike (or a years tuition in one of the city's best private schools) it was a surprise to say the least.

I agree, it's got to be a hard sell. If they are living on commission I'm sure they are having a difficult time. But great product and I was very interested as it was a step WAY above educational materials normally found in Thailand which usually deal with not much more than Buddhist teaching or limited national history. These had everything, world history, science, geography, medicine, music, art....but the sticker shock...w00t.gif

• Like 1

I don't suppose we could sneak this thread back onto Topic, could we?? Someone in my family was interested in the Kids Day stuff at Ratchpruek and I have so far been put off--is this still the general consensus.

This is from the original post.

"If any of you are thinking of taking your children to the Children's world that runs from 22-28 August, my advice would be to save your children disappointment by not taking them".

How has it gone off topic? It's all relevant.

I drove by and saw the big ad and went in and agreed

It's a waste of time and your kid will be bored stiff !!!

Hahhaha the biggest booth there was a Vespa dealer with Honda bikes on display

Nothing for the kids to do zzzz,....the only thing kid worlds about it was the kids could go crazy and run wild in the big garden outside the exhibition hall

We brought him to big c at his usual joint after and a nice meal made him smile

Btw I agree that Promenada joint is insane with their rules ...we had a look at the place and the costs and decided to stick to the big c hang dong play area ...40'baht per entry ...both parents can get in free when the place is not busy in the afternoons on weekdays after school and no time limit

Play till the little one gets busted and need Swensen !

• Like 1

There's a dearth of kids activities in Chiang Mai that are both child-centred and not too expensive. Everything seems to be geared to making a profit. The play areas in the supermarkets seem to represent the best value. I'll check out the funfair at Meechok once the rains abate. Meantime keep the ideas flowing - and skip Childrens World!!

There's a dearth of kids activities in Chiang Mai that are both child-centred and not too expensive. Everything seems to be geared to making a profit. The play areas in the supermarkets seem to represent the best value. I'll check out the funfair at Meechok once the rains abate. Meantime keep the ideas flowing - and skip Childrens World!!

The "Fun Fair" at Meechok consists of one Merry go round that must be 30 years old and one inflatable castle or whatever it is called which is absolutely filthy. That is it. I kid you not. Save your gas.

I suggest that we make a list of this we had out kids play out and had fun in Chiang Mai

Hang Dong Big C has a very clean play area ; free balloons for kids 40 baht per entry

Night Safari has a good run area where kids can run around and feed the deer for free ; walk in aviary with lovebirds 30 baht and u can stay as long as u have enough sunflower seeds to keep them happy

Sheep play @ restaurant next to the windmill restaurant in hang dong

Run in parks ...opp mental hospital with lots of hungry pigeons if u have bread