Having my helmet & leather jacket sent from the UK

danstarr

Has anyone had any bike gear sent over from the UK and if so, did you have any issues with customs or the postal service? I'd like to have my full-face helmet and old leather bike jacket sent out here.

Any input much appreciated.

Whenever I have sent stuff via Fedex or UPS, I have had to pay tax.

Better to send by Royal Mail Parcelforce. Takes a week. I have sent two helmets with no problem. Trackable, and just marked them up as plastic safety hats.

+1

Use the normal post, wait a bit longer but no custom issues normally.

If you insist on sending it with express mail, give the items a value less than 50 USD. Than UPS etc doesn't have to declare it.

Great advice, thanks very much.

Not sure if it is all great advice;/(....,,, The value you write on the box is worthless. Last week i had a radiator sent from (hk post) china value written and computer invoiced $30. Bkk customs crossed it out and wrote 1500baht and hit me for 600baht in tax. Contrary to the other posts that send things back you can appeal the value they changed. In my case it wasnt worth my time but i have done it in the past. They will ask to see the price advertised and how you paid for it.

In your case since you already own it you should prepare a invoice and be prepared to show how you paid. Pack them separately and the jacket has a good chance of just passing. I have never seen a helmet get through without getting taxed...

I ordered 2 welders (samples) from China. Fedex had the job of shifting them. Their value was US$10. Anyway they arrived about a month ago.....I still haven't got them!

First phone call: The box they were in was marked pumps so their held up in customs.

Second phone call: Customs say they want 2000 baht import duty. I say OK, send me an invoice.....still waiting.

Third phone call: Customs are now taking to the embassy about it. Now I know they are bu11shiting me!

Fourth phone call: There will be a fine because the box was marked pumps. I say OK, send me an invoice.....still waiting.

Fifth phone call: We don't know what's happening. We will call you back next week.

Sixth phone call: It's Saturday of next week and I haven't had a phone call. We tried to ring you but you didn't answer. Funny it didn't show on missed calls!

Seventh phone call: Can I send some money for tea for the Customs agent? I will have to talk to my supervisor about it. I will get back to you. Never did.

Plus 3 emails.

Yet 3 welding helmets from another company arrived tax, import duty and fine free 4 days after I sent the money Western Union! Score one for Fedex!

Honestly if you can't get a friend to bring your stuff over send it EMS or Royal Mail.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I have sent stuff via Fedex or UPS, I have had to pay tax.

Better to send by Royal Mail Parcelforce. Takes a week. I have sent two helmets with no problem. Trackable, and just marked them up as plastic safety hats.

Did you send the helmets in the same package and did Royal Mail Parcelforce need a value put on them?

Should I have the helmet and jacket sent separately?