For the Thai basher community

Crazy chef 1

Most of the 'shack living' construction workers I know are Burmese.

how many do you know?

There's the bunch that live at the end of my road, their kids come and play in my garden with their grandmother some days, no garden outside their shack. Their mother is 18 and working on site with dad for 200bht a day. They have a 3 year work permit, papers, and speak Thai. Nice farm back home in Burma, just working for a few years in Thailand to get some cash.

Then there's the bunch that live at my new house build, living in a shack besides my new house. They have to move the shack now they have finished my build. Three or four young women were levelling my new garden yesterday, all done by hand. They don't speak Thai, so I don't know them apart to smile and wave at.

Both the moobaan I rent on and the moobaan I am buying on, only employ Burmese.

Interesting to see that you are buying a house. Is it in your name? Or are you going against all advice you give to people on this forum, and buying a house in someone else's name? Believe me, i am not having a go, i always enjoy reading your posts, in my humble opinion you are one of the few down to earth, honest posters on here. You always tell it like it is. I am just intrigued.

• Like 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Cockney phrase to describe a tip, maybe in common use countrywide now, is to give them a drink.

Tommy Cooper, a much loved and very funny man, was mean to the point of it being a legend. On paying off a cab driver Tommy stuffed something in the cabby's top pocket and said "Here, have a drink on me." The cabby thanked him and drove off. A short time afterwards he reached into his top pocket expecting to find a fiver, but fished out a tea bag.

RIP Tom.

Funny story, Bagwan, but without knowing the man I suspect lemoncake is like your departed friend, Tom. Lemoncake is a good example of what the OP was talking about.

Although I only spent 6 months in Thailand, it was my experience that rural Thais are mostly honest and helpful. I don't recall one bad experience, and I spent most of my time visiting Thai villages whenever I could.

Nobody knows what people will do if they are put in the desperate situation of no money, no job and no food. In those cases I give everyone the benefit of doubt and won't judge them. However, rural Thais and transient Burmese workers seem to be able to survive on very little

Our locals like to do nothing more than invent stories, one of them when we bought the land even got the agent to tell us the wrong boundary so they could sell the 5 rai they stole later ( this land had no papers the rest is NSG3, it all backfired when the road he used to go up there was ours and we denied him access, at this point he even told us he stole the land , well actually said it was all the agents idea.

We thanked him for his honesty and still told him he couldnt use the road and walled the entire 16 rai plot.

"Our locals like to do nothing more than invent stories"

Sounds a bit like the Blether!wink.png

• Like 1

Interesting to see that you are buying a house. Is it in your name? Or are you going against all advice you give to people on this forum, and buying a house in someone else's name? Believe me, i am not having a go, i always enjoy reading your posts, in my humble opinion you are one of the few down to earth, honest posters on here. You always tell it like it is. I am just intrigued.

The house I am buying will be in my banks name, 85% of it anyway.

My advice is always the same, use someone else's money whenever you can.

• Like 1

A few years ago I lost my wallet in a open air market. About two months later I was back at the same market and this girl grabbed me and took me to her shop and handed me my wallet. All moneys about 15,000 and everything else still in the wallet. I gave her a nice award and my wife called the local radio station to tell of this woman's honesty.

total B/S cant beleave it , wont beleave it ......

Probably not Thais as somebody stated most construction workers are Burmese, or Cambodian. We live on an estate in Bkk that is still being built, all the workers are foreign, the only Thais are the people in charge of them. Even if they were Thai somebody handing back keys is hardly amazing is it, well maybe here it is.

Those who have a negative attitude towards other people seem to attract negative behaviour. It is evident in body language that intuitive people can pick up on. By contrast, a positive attitude seems to attract a positive response from others. I don't like to preach, but this has been a personal experience.

I'm positive that some here just need 6-8 weeks away from the madness-that-is-Bangkok to readjust their thinking. No idea how anyone - Thai or Farang - lives in a city like that for years on end without losing the plot.

Bashing and founded (personal)opinions are not the same. Shades of grey ! Good that you have trustworthy neighbours.

As people, I find the Thais mostly honest, decent, trustworthy people, I have come across it many times, they are mostly very non confrontational. for those who don't agree with me, look at some of the people in your own country. The downsides are the low mentality of most of the people, ie most people who drive cars, ride motorbikes, work in shops, banks etc. Most Thai men who always need back up, and cannot face you one to one.

When builders built an extension on to my house, I gave the man in charge the money he first quoted me, he handed me back 2000 Baht saying he had miscalculated. I asked the local Honda dealer to fit a new engine to my motorbike, quote 4000 Baht, they bought the bike back a few hours later, and said it did not need a new engine, and done a repair instead, cost 850 Baht.

Just a couple of examples of honesty I have come across here in Thailand.

• Like 1

I see, so because MOST of YOUR relatives live in the shack, you have assumed ALL or MOST want beer or whisky as a form of payment for work done.

I'm sorry you don't understand the difference between an employer, an employee and a friend.

You absolutely right, as a rule i do not call people who i hardly know, living next to me in shacks as friends, even more so when they do some work for me.

But clearly you understand Thai way, met on the bus this morning,by the evening its your best friend and week later its a brotherthumbsup.gif

Your attitude might explain why your neighbors expect to be paid by you for doing neighborly favors. You see them as peons whose only redeeming value is they are available to work on your plantation as needed. Otherwise you want nothing to do with them.

You right again, I do not expect my neighbors to help and when help is needed I can afford to pay for it

Lol, really? A Thai bank is giving you 85% mortgage? Hope you post pics of the mortgage soon

• Like 1

I am quiet astonished that there is just one member with a positive experience of honesty in Thailand .as stated in my OP I never had any bad experience here may it is just different how I approach locals.but I truly have to admit that it depends where you are.the most amazing people I met in rural issaan .as closer you get to the major tourist areas the chance of beeping scammed getting proportional higher but even there I think it is still a matter of attitude.....just another story: same 20 years ago I came the first time to TH .young single and hungry for party but not well experienced .after the second night I met a bargirl and we had some fun.two nights later I moved out of my hotel and lived the remaining three weeks with her and her colleagues and it was a great time.they didn't want even money from me.i just spent a certain amount on booze in her bar(what I had spent anyway) and a few times I cooked for them( I am a chef)that's it.they even organized my some nice trips for less than usually asked.and all this happened in patong.i think it is a matter of attitude.be positive and you will get positive,be honest and ppl will be honest- just enjoy your live.ps: my neighbors know about the cash bec sometimes they help me with minor things in our house and cash is laying open...always look on the bright side of life!

I am quiet astonished that there is just one member with a positive experience of honesty in Thailand .as stated in my OP I never had any bad experience here may it is just different how I approach locals.but I truly have to admit that it depends where you are.the most amazing people I met in rural issaan .as closer you get to the major tourist areas the chance of beeping scammed getting proportional higher but even there I think it is still a matter of attitude.....just another story: same 20 years ago I came the first time to TH .young single and hungry for party but not well experienced .after the second night I met a bargirl and we had some fun.two nights later I moved out of my hotel and lived the remaining three weeks with her and her colleagues and it was a great time.they didn't want even money from me.i just spent a certain amount on booze in her bar(what I had spent anyway) and a few times I cooked for them( I am a chef)that's it.they even organized my some nice trips for less than usually asked.and all this happened in patong.i think it is a matter of attitude.be positive and you will get positive,be honest and ppl will be honest- just enjoy your live.ps: my neighbors know about the cash bec sometimes they help me with minor things in our house and cash is laying open...always look on the bright side of life!

Actually there are very many people with experience of Thai honesty. I am another. I have left money in the bank before and one of the girls chased after me to give it back, the same has happened in my local 7/11.

I wasn't going to post at all until I read the whole thread and saw how many miserable people had written in.

I live in rural Thailand on the other side to Issan and in my village I can drive the car in, leave it unlocked and running, shop including for beer and whisky and leave that inside or outside of the truck and then drive home and nothing is missing. I quite often pop down the village leaving doors and windows unlocked and nothing goes missing.

I even give the trash truck crew a new years bonus.

I am not the only one I know around here that does this.

The problem is that it doesn't fit in with many of the conceptions of the Thai bashers and nay sayers so usually I just read the thread, look at all the usual doomsayers and just move on. You will never convince them as they are all so superior to everybody, Thai, Burmese and Farang alike. They are not worth thinking about let alone bothering with.

• Like 1

Nobody knows what people will do if they are put in the desperate situation of no money, no job and no food.

I don't know about that. I've met a lot of men here who have been through a divorce in the West.

Edited by historyprof
  • Like 1

Go easy on ole blether - he's entering the monkhood in less than 2 weeks time. All those 5am starts, a handful of rice and some rainwater : not too far off the mythical 'Cheap Charlie' lifestyle I keep hearing about on TV !

Where's he going to park his fleet of cars when he gets them?

Bashing and founded (personal)opinions are not the same. Shades of grey ! Good that you have trustworthy neighbours.

As people, I find the Thais mostly honest, decent, trustworthy people, I have come across it many times, they are mostly very non confrontational. for those who don't agree with me, look at some of the people in your own country. The downsides are the low mentality of most of the people, ie most people who drive cars, ride motorbikes, work in shops, banks etc. Most Thai men who always need back up, and cannot face you one to one.

When builders built an extension on to my house, I gave the man in charge the money he first quoted me, he handed me back 2000 Baht saying he had miscalculated. I asked the local Honda dealer to fit a new engine to my motorbike, quote 4000 Baht, they bought the bike back a few hours later, and said it did not need a new engine, and done a repair instead, cost 850 Baht.

Just a couple of examples of honesty I have come across here in Thailand.

I don't disagree with your general comments but I am amazed at the builder part although you do not specify how much the overall bill was? I doubt you would find many builders in any country who would refund any money if you agreed a price with them to do a specific job unless you knew them well and/or there was an expectation that the bill could come in less than estimated.

Good experiences;

Driven by a tuktuk driver while unconscious to patong hospital for free ( i heard afterwards ofcourse).

Been told by motorbiketaxidriver that i forgot to take my atmcard out.

Been followed by a shopowner in which he gave me back my change of 2 bth for pack of cigarettes. He told me thai and foreigner same price !

Negative experiences;

Charged 300 bth by a tuktukdriver for a 1 km drive.

Being overcharged by mbiketaxidrivers regularly

Had to pay 2 bth more for a pack of cigarettes. Reason; i am a foreigner !

Just some examples which happened whilst living in Phuket.

Good and bad people exist everywhere. Overall the tendency is slightly more negative IMO towards foreigners. The further 1 lives away from the touristareas the more similar 1 is treated as a thai.

Dual pricing, whatever 1 feels or thinks about it, is there for a reason.

• Like 2

I'm pleased the OP and his wife got their keys back.

I'm pleased too that the OP felt he wanted to post this good experience.

I trust the OP accepts the right of others to do likewise and if so that he accept the right of people who suffer a negative experience to likewise share it with others.

Yes I do and I don't have rose tinted glasses on,and don't think there are not many things here who really s$$cks.i just get over it.

I trust the OP accepts the right of others to do likewise and if so that he accept the right of people who suffer a negative experience to likewise share it with others.

Good reply as usual GH, but a negative experience on this forum will be thai bashing. period.

Good reply as usual GH, but a negative experience on this forum will be thai bashing. period.

My only real negative experiences in Thailand have been from foreigners.

Lol, really? A Thai bank is giving you 85% mortgage? Hope you post pics of the mortgage soon

Why not?

I was offered a 90% mortgage.

• Like 1

Why not?

Really!!!!! even offered? KerryK got 100% loan at the age of 80.

Power of internetthumbsup.gif

I'm quite surprised by the level of decent Thais you guys have met. I don't want to Thai bash and I will treat every Thai that I meet as though they are honest, but so much of my experiences here have been they are as crooked as the come.

No I don't go to bars, (married with a child), these are just general day to day people I meet. Some of it is small (short changed or over charged) of just really basic pointless lying.

Like I said at the start, I'm not casting assumptions on all Thais, just the ones I've met. Disappointing really.

Why not?

You fellows sound more knowledgable than I but is a 95% loan hard to get?

This from CIMB bank, HomeLoan 4U

Residential Acquisition* General Customer: Credit line up to 90% of appraisal value, maximum up to 100% of selling price. Project Customer: Credit line up to 95% of selling price, maximum up to 100% of appraisal value. Residential Construction Credit...