For the Thai basher community

Crazy chef 1

Bashing and founded (personal)opinions are not the same. Shades of grey ! Good that you have trustworthy neighbours.

As people, I find the Thais mostly honest, decent, trustworthy people, I have come across it many times, they are mostly very non confrontational. for those who don't agree with me, look at some of the people in your own country. The downsides are the low mentality of most of the people, ie most people who drive cars, ride motorbikes, work in shops, banks etc. Most Thai men who always need back up, and cannot face you one to one.

When builders built an extension on to my house, I gave the man in charge the money he first quoted me, he handed me back 2000 Baht saying he had miscalculated. I asked the local Honda dealer to fit a new engine to my motorbike, quote 4000 Baht, they bought the bike back a few hours later, and said it did not need a new engine, and done a repair instead, cost 850 Baht.

Just a couple of examples of honesty I have come across here in Thailand.

I don't disagree with your general comments but I am amazed at the builder part although you do not specify how much the overall bill was? I doubt you would find many builders in any country who would refund any money if you agreed a price with them to do a specific job unless you knew them well and/or there was an expectation that the bill could come in less than estimated.

This was about 18months ago and the bill was about 55000 Baht. When I paid him, he handed me back 2000Baht, I asked the wife why he returned the 2000 Baht, and the wife said it was something to do with the tiles on the floor.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bashing and founded (personal)opinions are not the same. Shades of grey ! Good that you have trustworthy neighbours.

As people, I find the Thais mostly honest, decent, trustworthy people, I have come across it many times, they are mostly very non confrontational. for those who don't agree with me, look at some of the people in your own country. The downsides are the low mentality of most of the people, ie most people who drive cars, ride motorbikes, work in shops, banks etc. Most Thai men who always need back up, and cannot face you one to one.

When builders built an extension on to my house, I gave the man in charge the money he first quoted me, he handed me back 2000 Baht saying he had miscalculated. I asked the local Honda dealer to fit a new engine to my motorbike, quote 4000 Baht, they bought the bike back a few hours later, and said it did not need a new engine, and done a repair instead, cost 850 Baht.

Just a couple of examples of honesty I have come across here in Thailand.

I don't disagree with your general comments but I am amazed at the builder part although you do not specify how much the overall bill was? I doubt you would find many builders in any country who would refund any money if you agreed a price with them to do a specific job unless you knew them well and/or there was an expectation that the bill could come in less than estimated.

i was amazed too.

Most of the 'shack living' construction workers I know are Burmese.

Anyways, beside the point, even dishonest people usually know better than to rob from neighbours.

I know a creep sad.png in the UK who broke into his mums flat cos if he was found out she would not press charges. sad.png

You fellows sound more knowledgable than I but is a 95% loan hard to get?

This from CIMB bank, HomeLoan 4U

Residential Acquisition* General Customer: Credit line up to 90% of appraisal value, maximum up to 100% of selling price. Project Customer: Credit line up to 95% of selling price, maximum up to 100% of appraisal value. Residential Construction Credit...

Just visit any bank and ask for mortgage in your name(foreigner) and see the answerthumbsup.gif

http://scandasia.com/mortgages-for-foreigners-available-again-in-thailand/

http://www.siam-legal.com/realestate/thailand-property-financing.php

http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/loans/property/uob_international_home_loan_thailand.html

http://thailand.angloinfo.com/housing/buying-property/getting-a-mortgage/

Edited by lemoncake

Residential Acquisition* General Customer: Credit line up to 90% of appraisal value, maximum up to 100% of selling price. Project Customer: Credit line up to 95% of selling price, maximum up to 100% of appraisal value. Residential Construction Credit...

Just visit any bank and ask for mortgage in your name(foreigner) and see the answerthumbsup.gif

http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/loans/property/uob_international_home_loan_thailand.html

Pardon my stupid question but why would anyone want to get a loan when you can't own the land? I thought you meant a Thai person getting a loan and in that case it's 95 to 100%.

Pardon my stupid question but why would anyone want to get a loan when you can't own the land? I thought you meant a Thai person getting a loan and in that case it's 95 to 100%.

Excellent question.

Thai can do many things and have all sorts of loans.

Here we have 2 foreigners who claim to have loans of 85% and even 95% in THEIR NAME for the house, which officially they can not own while all Banks would not do more than 70% of banks valuation, not the buying price.

Go figure.

Not too long ago, there was a poster name KerryK, who claimed he got 100% loan for the land and to build a house at the age of 80, but then again, she also learned fluent Thai at 75 years old and was married to a hi-so Chinese half his age.

One can move mountains when sitting behind the keyboard.

Excellent question.

Here we have 2 foreigners who claim to have loans of 85% and even 95% in THEIR NAME for the house, which officially they can not own while all Banks would not do more than 70% of banks valuation, not the buying price.

Go figure.

Not too long ago, there was a poster name KerryK, who claimed he got 100% loan for the land and to build a house at the age of 80, but then again, she also learned fluent Thai at 75 years old and was married to a hi-so Chinese half his age.

One can move mountains when sitting behind the keyboard.

There you go, one can sure get different opinions on the internet. I thought Another One American was a half Thai person with Thai citizenship and Kerry K was a male who was very proud of the fact that his wife could get a loan based on her employment.

Excellent question.

Go figure.

Not too long ago, there was a poster name KerryK, who claimed he got 100% loan for the land and to build a house at the age of 80.

For a start, I am a Thai person, so nothing to stop me buying a house.

(When did I ever say I was a foreigner?)

Government bank will loan up to 110%, depending on your employer (they love teachers and police).

Other banks lend an amount depending on your income, your credit history, valuation of the house, etc.

As for KerryK, he clearly didn't understand that all Thai home loans are finished by age 65.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Excellent question.

Go figure.

Not too long ago, there was a poster name KerryK, who claimed he got 100% loan for the land and to build a house at the age of 80.

Government bank will loan up to 110%, depending on your employer (they love teachers and police).

Other banks lend an amount depending on your income, your credit history, valuation of the house, etc.

As for KerryK, he clearly didn't understand that all Thai home loans are finished by age 65.

When did you ever say you were a Thai prior to this ?

Some of us are married to Thais - that's why we want a mortgage. My wife doesn't work so couldn't get a mortgage/loan. The house is in her name.

Lemoncake, you can't have been in Thailand long if you don't know the way banks work.

In my case, the builder is also the vice-president of a bank.

Foreigners can get loans if they have jobs. Sometimes the bak asks us to take out hefty insurance, which is basically 'tea money' as the banker gets a big commission.

Usually, the builder tells the bank that the house is worth more than it is so can sometimes get more than 100%.

• Like 1

Post #17 in this thread, gave it away.

As i said to you in PM, will repeat again-Saying that most of your relatives live in the shack does not automatically translate into being Thai, especially when you claim most living in the shacks are Burmese.

Some of us are married to Thais - that's why we want a mortgage. My wife doesn't work so couldn't get a mortgage/loan. The house is in her name.

Lemoncake, you can't have been in Thailand long if you don't know the way banks work.

In my case, the builder is also the vice-president of a bank.

Foreigners can get loans if they have jobs. Sometimes the bak asks us to take out hefty insurance, which is basically 'tea money' as the banker gets a big commission.

Usually, the builder tells the bank that the house is worth more than it is so can sometimes get more than 100%.

You right, i am just a newbie, you sure know morethumbsup.gif

Yes the builder is also a chief of police, no?

As i said to you in PM, will repeat again-Saying that most of your relatives live in the shack does not automatically translate into being Thai, especially when you claim most living in the shacks are Burmese.

Dude, you argue about anything even when you are obviously wrong. What's your problem?

Do you know any foreigners that have relatives here living in shacks?

Don't believe what you hear on your Pattaya barstool.

• Like 2

Dude, you argue about anything even when you are obviously wrong. What's your problem?

Was it not you who quit drinking and yet still go to bars and get upset when asked which bar you met your wife?

And yes I know many, relatives through marriage perhaps ?? Doh

Edited by lemoncake

Yes.

Plenty of 'in laws' and the like. That is how I read it and would not have guessed the poster was Thai - especially with his disguised avator.

Good to "out" him though :)

Was it not you who quit drinking and yet still go to bars and get upset when asked which bar you met your wife?

I don't see the relevance but..

I very rarely go to bars(maybe 5 times a year) and certainly not the type that you go to. Bars do sell non-alcoholic drinks.

I was asked a few months back if I met my wife in a bar. I was more shocked than upset.

Edited by Neeranam

I don't see the relevance but..

I very rarely go to bars(maybe 5 times a year) and certainly not the type that you go to. Bars do sell non-alcoholic drinks.

I was asked a few months back if I met my wife in a bar. I was more shocked than upset.

Aww i see, now please do tell me what type of bars i go to and how oftenw00t.gif

Excellent question.

Go figure.

Thai person laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png , yeah right you are Tommo, you were undone when you posted on the " What Films are people watching " thread, with an excellent knowledge of an old obscure British movie. Fact is your shacked up with the sister of a bar girl you met when you first came here.

Apologies for off-topic, met many real Thai people that were both honest and kind...and a couple of shysters.

Excellent question.

Go figure.

Thai person laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png , yeah right you are Tommo, you were undone when you posted on the " What Films are people watching " thread, with an excellent knowledge of an old obscure British movie. Fact is your shacked up with the sister of a bar girl you met when you first came here.

Apologies for off-topic, met many real Thai people that were both honest and kind...and a couple of shysters.

On another thread he claimed to be American lawyer:)

Excellent question.

Go figure.

Where does it say that he HAS to say if he is a Thai or a farang just to suit you?

Excellent question.

Go figure.

On another thread he claimed to be American lawyer:)

That is perfectly possible too, or have you never heard of dual nationality?

Increasingly obvious that there are some here who cant accept that there might be *some* good in the Thai people : there is no way I would continue to live in a country - including my own - if I had such a low opinion of everyone around me. I'm incensed by the story of the cops who kidnapped two Italians for ransom, but I don't automatically transfer that to all Thai people.

Of course smile.png ...but certainly not for every one on this forum bah.gif

Actually thais like all groups of ppl have their good and their bad (duh) but i have noticed how unfriendly some thais and the sour nasty looks some of them give for whatever reason.

Yet it's kind of odd to bash thais when you are living in thailand. I would think the ppl that do this bashing live in thailand then why choose to live there? It isn't like the refugees that run to the west that don't have a choice right? Most ppl that travel to thailand do it out of their own freewill and not because they are starving or escaping persecution.