Bangkok police to crack down on vendors selling laughing-gas balloons

webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why does it take 15 minutes to make a balloon? Should be a 1-2-3 ten second thing.

I am sure they meant to say 15 seconds, but as you say it should take no more that a few seconds, as you know the Thais don't know left from right up or down or north or south, its all a bit confusing to the poor things.

I think the police should try the gas for them selves as it might make them "lighten up" a bit! or perhaps they should be given helium gas mixed with the Nitrous Oxide. that would be funny, when they all start laughing like little girls, people would take them even less seriously.. "which is a good thing" as Jeremy Clarkson would say w00t.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Why would anyone pay 100 baht to sound like David Beckham? biggrin.png

Me thinks you don't know the difference between Helium and Nitrous Oxide...

Ha ha!......... I didn't read that one right. w00t.gif

In fact, it never even occurred it could be anything else.

Nitrous Oxide in a balloon is just too crazy even for Thailand.

Theese ballons seems to be sold all over in the amusement areas and at beach parties – also quite popular among Thais.
By the way, a friend of mine in Pattaya filled one of the ballons with air and shared it with people on the walking street – seemed to work just as well as the original stuff.
Hmm, placebo works.

(Attached photo: A beach party ballon-vendor.)

post-122720-0-05150300-1377503576_thumb.

UPDATE:

Chonburi launches crackdown on laughing gas

CHONBURI, 26 August 2013 (NNT) - Chonburi provincial authorities are launching a crackdown on the use of laughing gas in the province after reports of its popularity among tourists.

Local police have been instructed to arrest operators who sell balloons containing nitrus oxide or laughing gas to entertainment venues. An arrest has recently been made in Pattaya in connection with the substance with the help of local pharmacists.

Laughing gas is commonly used for dental procedures as a form of anesthesia. Inhalation of pure nitrous oxide over a continued period would render a human hypoxic and can lead to death.

The Food and Drug Administration has earlier warned that the use of nitrous oxide as recreation drug also affects the central nervous system which includes the brain, brain stem and spinal cord after news that laughing gas had been sold in Bangkok’s Khaosarn Road to tourists.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-08-26 footer_n.gif

100% you can get this in the supermarket. Its used to make whipped cream. One point, you need to read carefully. CO2 is also sold and that's got "death" written on it. When you buy out the entire shelf of their NO2 the easy answer is, "i'm making a cake... a big cake..."

At least that's what my friend used to say 555

NO2 will kill you dude - Thats Nitrogen Dioxide.

The position of the 2 makes a HUGE difference!

ANY Pressurized cylinder will have a warning that it can cause injury or death. Be it a fire extinguisher, Scuba tank, G sized cylinder or petrol tanker on a truck. They tend to go bang when pierced in the wrong place.

CO2 is dangerous because of the pressure its stored at (750 PSI usually) and if its pierced in the wrong place it goes bang. From memory - its been a while since I got my compressed gasses certificate... NOS has a lower storage pressure (and breathable air tends to be about 3000-4500 PSI - a bigger boom)

NOS is only dangerous if you consumed it and a) fall over or cool.png consume about 100 boxes a day and end up with Vitamin B12 deficiency..

Good fun but if it is not mixed with Oxygen and is near pure, you die from asphyxiation after breathing a bit too much of it.

This is what you get when you don't pay attention in chemistry class. You'll die from asphixiation from continually inhaling anything apart from the air we breath for too long. And not sure what you mean by near pure, but if you mean changing state from N20 to N02 (i.e. quadrupling the amount of oxygen in the molecule as opposed to just the N20 / O2 mix) then yeah, you'll die from Nitrox poisoning..

Edited by MikeENZ

Ok, I'm going against the grain here. Maybe it's unlawful to distribute laughing gas in a balloon. And it's over priced. So is everything else in Thailand for foreigners.

But what a great idea! People are happy and maybe laughing! That's a bad thing?

What laws prevail in Thailand? Only when someone (government) cannot make a profit. I say, HAVE SOME FUN!

Maybe it will help their bloated tourist estimates.

Edited by Nooky2

The cost is around 20 baht if they are using a whipped cream refill cartrage but only 2 baht per balloon when your refilling the tanks. Balloons are widespread at all the Phangan parties and the guys selling the balloons are making massive cash. It always cracks me up seeing the pile of backpacks that get stacked up on the empty tanks on the ferry over to Samui on the short trip over to get refilled. No police crackdown here as this is one the most favored locations in the country to be posted. Another supplumentary bribe income for officer friendly.

• Like 1

Surely they could just take a short cut and sidestep this laborious part by just connecting the tourist directly to the gas bottle. xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.SDkxrRteka.png

Wish I had thought of that. With any luck the Khao San Road trash would all float away over the horizon !

Don't know why they need this stuff anyway, I have been here for eight years now and have not stopped laughing since I first arrived. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Cabinet sessions already use it. No?

I wait for stink bombs to dissolve red shirt activities.

Sorry, but would not work. You would not even notice if a stink bomb went off in the midst of a redshirt "activity". biggrin.png

Notice the familiar language. TO crackdown.

Why not HAVE cracked down.

The, to crackdown gives warning and time to offenders.

The, have is to show that it has been achieved, has now already happened.

All too many times does government give prior notice to safeguard anyone of importance that may be connected. Time to flee the scene.

100% you can get this in the supermarket. Its used to make whipped cream. One point, you need to read carefully. CO2 is also sold and that's got "death" written on it. When you buy out the entire shelf of their NO2 the easy answer is, "i'm making a cake... a big cake..."

At least that's what my friend used to say 555

You can also get it at the hot rod stores. It is used to help double the HP output of a gasoline engine. The most common place to find it here, is with the "drift racers". Gotta get some power out of those rice rockets with the help of turbos and superchargers........lol

CO2 is also sold and that's got "death" written on it.

You're confusing CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) with CO (carbon monoxide), the latter being toxic the former not. CO2 and N2O are not toxic but both are asphyxiates and will cause the same problems, that is they displace oxygen in the body and can suffocate from them.

When you get nitrous oxide from the dentist, he's mixing it with oxygen, and I'm not sure he'll ever go above 30-40% N2O, for many patients maybe not even that. Breathing just pure N2O sounds like it could be dangerous.

The vendors spend about 15 minutes to inflate each balloon.

Surely they could just take a short cut and sidestep this laborious part by just connecting the tourist directly to the gas bottle. laugh.png

I notice these are only sold to tourists. If you want to make anyone who lives in Thailand laugh you can just get them to read this story and tell them how good the Thai police are.

CO2 is also sold and that's got "death" written on it.

You're confusing CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) with CO (carbon monoxide), the latter being toxic the former not. CO2 and N2O are not toxic but both are asphyxiates and will cause the same problems, that is they displace oxygen in the body and can suffocate from them.

When you get nitrous oxide from the dentist, he's mixing it with oxygen, and I'm not sure he'll ever go above 30-40% N2O, for many patients maybe not even that. Breathing just pure N2O sounds like it could be dangerous.

Pure nitrous oxide is OK for a short time but as said it will displace the oxygen so for longer periods it's mixed with oxygen. As far as I know the maximum concentration is 70% oxygen to 30% N2O although it can often be lower than that. Te lower the concentration the longer it can be used.

The vendors spend about 15 minutes to inflate each balloon.

Surely they could just take a short cut and sidestep this laborious part by just connecting the tourist directly to the gas bottle. laugh.png

I notice these are only sold to tourists. If you want to make anyone who lives in Thailand laugh you can just get them to read this story and tell them how good the Thai police are.

Why does it take 15mins to fill a single balloon, anyway? Cylinders weak by the time vendors get them?