Toot toot! Elephant Polo in Hua Hin begins tomorrow

Lite Beer

Toot toot! Elephant Polo in Hua Hin begins tomorrow
By Andrew Scott

elephantpolo_copy.jpeg?itok=olsVgHJl

HUA HIN : -- Giant pachyderms will show off their sporting skills later this week when the 12th King’s Cup Elephant Polo tournament kicks off in Hua Hin.

Thailand’s defending champions King Power will go head-to-head against the New Zealand Rugby All Black’s Robin Brooke, Olo Brown and Charles Riechelmann. Transgender beauty queens Miss Tiffany Thailand will also be competing in the tournament as well as performing in the evening.

To date, the event has raised almost USD600,000 for projects that help to improve the lives for some of Thailand’s elephant population, including housing for the mahouts and families, shelters for the elephants and a mobile blood centrifuge and elephant ambulance for the Thai Elephant Conservation Center (TECC).

Read More: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/08/27/toot-toot-elephant-polo-hua-hin-begins-tomorrow

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-08-27

• Like 1

The thai Elephant center is a good cause and you will find this event run in the Kings back yard would have crossed their T`s and Dotted their eyes.

Meaning these Elephants will be very well cared for, in return for little work.

• Like 2

My God, when are they going to stop torturing elephants?

Torture? I go down every year to support the causes mentioned in the article . Never witness any torture!

beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

Elephants are highly complex, intelligent and magnificent animals. Polo and other 'games' are not something they do naturally. They are forced into confinement, breakdown of their natural social structure and physically coerced into being clowns for this absurd 'entertainment'. Sorry to criticize this great fun...but what we do to them is disgraceful.

• Like 1

Torture? I go down every year to support the causes mentioned in the article . Never witness any torture!

Elephants are highly complex, intelligent and magnificent animals. Polo and other 'games' are not something they do naturally. They are forced into confinement, breakdown of their natural social structure and physically coerced into being clowns for this absurd 'entertainment'. Sorry to criticize this great fun...but what we do to them is disgraceful.

Just so you know I have been working with DOMESTICATED elephants here in Thailand for the last 19 years. You used the words "torture" coerced into being clowns, confinement like you actually know what your talking about marell. Domesticated elephants are just that . By the way their "natural social structure's are still very much in tact. Who is we? Do you mean yourself and how you treat elephants is disgraceful? Since this topic seems to concern you, I think educating yourself with facts instead of repeating the diatribe that you have heard or read would show better understanding on your part.

• Like 1

Just so you know I have been working with DOMESTICATED elephants here in Thailand for the last 19 years. You used the words "torture" coerced into being clowns, confinement like you actually know what your talking about marell. Domesticated elephants are just that . By the way their "natural social structure's are still very much in tact. Who is we? Do you mean yourself and how you treat elephants is disgraceful? Since this topic seems to concern you, I think educating yourself with facts instead of repeating the diatribe that you have heard or read would show better understanding on your part.

Easy tiger.

The intent of the OP was most likely to express that the elephants should be left in their natural habitats.

I've seen some of these poor animals thrust into displays for the amusement of tourists.

In any case with today's rain, it's going to be a bit messy.

• Like 1

According to one historical account, the first elephant polo match in India was not working out as hoped. The elephant's responses to commands were slow, imprecise and awkward. This bothered those who knew what elephants were capable of and led to talk of cutting the day short for the sake of the jumbos. Then, in the middle of a match, it's was like someone threw a switch. The elephants behavior transformed. They followed commands and soon were sometimes moving approprately simultaneously with the command. On the same day, In subsequent matches, elephants that were not on the field during the transformation started their matches transformed. What happened? Best guess was the elephants realized it was a game so they began to play.