0-A Visa [ retirement ] versus 0 Visa [ marriage ]

Marriage non O Visa versus Retirement O-A Visa
Visa extension at Bangkok .Chaeng Wathana.
Last year was easy, I had 0-A retirement Visa from NZ, completed form 47, 40 minutes wait, no bank statements, stamp and away, 90 days extension. done.
This year I imagined fondly that a Visa based on marriage to Thai citizen would give similar benefits..
Well now I have just found out the Visa based on marriage is a Non-0 Visa, not a Non 0-A Visa . Yes subtle isn’t it, made in Thailand.
Well I doubt there are any advantages to having a Non 0 Visa [ based on. Marriage ] over a tourist Visa. Correct me if wrong . I know some men have their wives go in and do the whole thing for them, but the extension now is only 60 days. [ at least in Bangkok]
Yets that’s right, this is Thailand, we change the rules often , and usually for the worse.
A marriage based Visa will subject your wife to all sorts of proofs especially living address. You have to be able to prove a permanent address and be back there for the report in another 60 days..
Utterly absurd, a 60 day extension, if they want Visa holders to leave the country why don’t they , just go for a 30 day extension, 1900 baht each application.
In our case they were also hanging out for a translation of the New Zealand marriage certificate. Thats great isn’t it, an international Visa office which refuses to read English.
Next about money. In New Zealand the Thai embassy reassured me three times that the requirement to show bank balance has been rescinded. No longer required.
Yesterday we were told clearly to prepare for this, there must be 400,000 baht, in Thai bank and in Wifes name.. Wife disagreed with me she said it could be a NZ bank .
Today in the same office told, different officer ,no worry forget about it, as long as we have your address in case you rob a policeman. Riddle me with Thai.
I would never apply for another Visa under the marriage qualification, it is a burden not a qualification.
My wife had to sign various guarantees, ,it took three days, and I just can it be bothered with the fact that every official is different.
My opinion, if you get a nit picking miserable Immigration Officer tell him you are feeling crook, get up and walk out, try some one else.
Get a retirement O-A Visa if you possibly can. They cost more though.

Edited by lopburi3
correct font

Oh Dear! A jumble of misunderstanding !

A "form 47" TM 47 is an address report made after staying longer that 90 days in Thailand and has nothing to do with "extensions"

A non "O" visa can be extended for one year based (mainly) on retirement or marriage. There are certain financial requirements associated with these extensions and any money must be held in your own name.

If you are able to more clearly articulate what you hope to achieve many people here will assist you.

Yes clarification.

last year I had an 0-A Visa. Passport stamped with one year stay. I reported at 90 days on form 47 . fine and dandy

This year I have an O Visa Passport stamped for 90 days. Reported at 90 form 7.

Was shagged around with, now have 60 day extension.

60 day extension for three days hassle, mostly proof of address,and conflicting information.

I was told I could not get more than 60 day extension.Specifically,

It may have been because i did not have bank balance

LOL -----No money no honey ! smile.png

If you want an extension of stay based on marriage you need either 400,000bht in a Thai bank (your name only) or 40,000 bht/month income as certified in a letter from your Embassy. For retirement the sums are 800000 in the bank or 65000/month income.

If you can arrange the money come back and ask about the paperwork needed.

You got a 60 day extension because you didn't have the required financial proof.

With financial proof you would have gotten a 1 year extension of stay, which you still can get during these 60 days.

One of the other requirements is that you have the marriage in New Zealand with a Thai national entered in the records at an amphur in Thailand.

Yes,

So I was drastically misinformed by Thai embassy New Zealand.

Repeat as above I rang them three times and they told me the money qualification was no more .

What use is an embassy that doesnt even know its own Country's rules

I should have gone with the common knowledge here, and the written rules.

And it would have been useful if the people in the Visa Immigration dept could be bothered to speak English,

and explain things that I have to come here for.

They spoke to my wife in Thai and did not bother with me, I would not take her back into Visa office again.

Thailand .You say they want money nested for two months in one of their banks.

To show money I have to get to NZ Embassy on the day of reporting and requesting extension.

Yes thats right sit in taxis all day

As far a I am concerned they make it rigidly difficult to be here, and you know what Thailand,

they don't need my money , I will go to Australia.

If using retirement the first time is 60 days in bank account and 3 months after that. There is no need for anything from Embassy if using bank deposit and if doing in Bangkok there are branch banks one floor below immigration. If using Embassy letter of 65k per month income it can be obtained early - no need to get same day you extend.

I am sure embassy was referring to the non-o visa that you got when they said no money needed compared to OA you had before.

I don't think the staff at any Thai embassy in the world have much knowledge about immigration rules for extensions of stay.

There are other ways of getting around Bangkok than taxis. Try the MRT or BTS to get close to your destination.

whistling.gif An O-A visa is only available in your home country.

Usually it requires a medical certificate and a police records check .... exactly what that means depends on your local country's interpretation.

You can not get such a visa in Thailand.

Some people come to Thailand with a Non O visa not an O-A visa.

They then extend that Non O visa in Thailand at their local immigration by reason of:

1. marriage to a Thai (often called a marriage VISA), although it's really an extension of their Non O visa for one year by reason of marriage.
  2. retirement (often called a retirement visa) but also really a one year extension for purposes of living in Thailand as a retiree.
  3. or education (a so-called ED visa) again an extension of a Non O visa for reasons of education in Thailand.

In my case I received a Non O visa in the U.K at Hull in 2010 and have extended it 3 times annually since then. My next extension is due in October 2013 and will get me another one year extension until October 2014.

I am an American citizen but in October 2010 it was still possible for me to get a Non O visa in Hull. I do not know if that is still possible now.

Non O visas and an O-A visa are different things ... like Apples and Oranges.

Each one has advantages and disadvantages depending on your situation at the time.

In 2010 I could not easily have been given an O-A visa because I had then lived outside the U.S for several years, and I had no "local" police in the U.S. who could do a Police Records check for me in the U.S.

So, instead, I used a Non O visa and extended it in Thailand after arrival.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Yes clarification.

last year I had an 0-A Visa. Passport stamped with one year stay. I reported at 90 days on form 47 . fine and dandy

This year I have an O Visa Passport stamped for 90 days. Reported at 90 form 7.

Was shagged around with, now have 60 day extension.

60 day extension for three days hassle, mostly proof of address,and conflicting information.

I was told I could not get more than 60 day extension.Specifically,

It may have been because i did not have bank balance

-------------

As another poster said a marriage visa/extension has a financial requirement for approval.

You will need to have either.

1. 400K Thai Baht in a Thai bank account in your name .....OR
  2. Proof of a monthly income of at least 40K Baht equivalent from outside Thailand. This can be verified by a statement from your country's embassy. Your embassy may require you to provide proof of that income. Some embassies do want proof, some accept your word on the amount of your income. That income can be a government pension, a private pension, or any combination of income sources.
  3. If you use the Thai Bank account method the bank account funds must have been in the bank for at least 60 days for the first approval and must be in your account for at least 90 days before each annual approval.
Edited by IMA_FARANG

• 2 weeks later...

Yes , thanks to everyone for contributions.

0-A Visa

Last year I applied for and received 0-A Visa in New Zealand. This meant a Police certificate and health certificates. The costs $NZ250 for Visa and about $NZ100 for health certificate . That’s just nearly 10,000 baht.

I received a stamp entering Thailand for one year.

I stayed 6 months, and at the 90 day report I was not asked for financials

Non immigrant 0 Visa based on marriage

This year I came across on a New Zealand arranged Visa Non-0

I had been told not to worry about financials from Thai Embassy New Zealand.

But in Bangkok I was reminded about the 400,000 baht nested for 60 days .

But it was clear to me they would prefer this money in my Wife’s account.

It was specifically stated.

Further Thai immigration told us that a Western bank account was fine so long as there was a Visa card for withdrawals.

In general it seemed to me that the onus of responsibility had shifted from me to wife.

Now further, there was an absolute requirement for proof of living address. This is difficult if you are a traveler like me.

All in all I see the 0-A Visa as the best stamp . It means getting finances organized to a bank account in your own name, and going through the hoops to get Visa. But in your home Country you can do all this from your own home or Offoce

On another matter which I may introduce in the correct place later. My wife now having a New Zealand Residency Visa is entitled to superannuation NZ as we are designated as a couple. Its about $NZ200 a week. Now that's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick isn’t it. However there are limitations on how long we can stay outside New Zealand

You had a one year stay pre approved using the O-A visa last year so the only thing you did at 90 days was report your address.

This year you have only a non immigrant O visa valid for 90 day stay - to stay longer you need to meet extension of stay requirements inside Thailand which for Thai wife reason would be 400k in bank account 2 months in your name (not wife) or 40k income. For retirement it would be 800k or 65k per month income letter from your embassy

<snipped>

Further Thai immigration told us that a Western bank account was fine so long as there was a Visa card for withdrawals.

>snipped>

In addition to Lopburi's comments, if qualifying for an extension based on bank deposit the bank account for the 400,000 baht must be held in a Thai bank. A Western bank account will not do.

Definitely some misunderstandings between you and Immigration.

Sophon

Yes , thanks to everyone for contributions.

0-A Visa

Last year I applied for and received 0-A Visa in New Zealand. This meant a Police certificate and health certificates. The costs $NZ250 for Visa and about $NZ100 for health certificate . Thats just nearly 10,000 baht.

I received a stamp entering Thailand for one year.

I stayed 6 months, and at the 90 day report I was not asked for financials

Non immigrant 0 Visa based on marriage

This year I came across on a New Zealand arranged Visa Non-0

I had been told not to worry about financials from Thai Embassy New Zealand.

But in Bangkok I was reminded about the 400,000 baht nested for 60 days .

But it was clear to me they would prefer this money in my Wifes account.

It was specifically stated.

In general it seemed to me that the onus of responsibility had shifted from me to wife.

Now further, there was an absolute requirement for proof of living address. This is difficult if you are a traveler like me.

All in all I see the 0-A Visa as the best stamp . It means getting finances organized to a bank account in your own name, and going through the hoops to get Visa. But in your home Country you can do all this from your own home or Offoce

On another matter which I may introduce in the correct place later. My wife now having a New Zealand Residency Visa is entitled to superannuation NZ as we are designated as a couple. Its about $NZ200 a week. Now that's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick isnt it. However there are limitations on how long we can stay outside New Zealand

In your case an O-A is the best way to go. Others may not want to secure all the documentation necessary for an O-A and therefore opt for a Non-O and extensions of stay. Each case has a best solution.

Applying for Non-O visa requires Baht 400,000 deposited in local bank. The money has to stay in the bank for 2 months. After 2 months you need to submit evidents and documentations to immigration in order to apply for Non-O visa. After submitting all documents verified by the immigration officer paying a fees of Baht 1,900 I was asked to go back. After 2 weeks, immigration officers visit at my house asking for witness to answers few questions. It took the officers less then an hour to complete the process and that is about all. We wait for result to be announce on the given date dated by the immigration officer. I have 1 questions if any of you can help me.

Q. After completing all of the above mentioned procedure, can I start using the money deposited or do I have to wait till the outcome of the visa status.

Applying for Non-O visa requires Baht 400,000 deposited in local bank. The money has to stay in the bank for 2 months. After 2 months you need to submit evidents and documentations to immigration in order to apply for Non-O visa. After submitting all documents verified by the immigration officer paying a fees of Baht 1,900 I was asked to go back. After 2 weeks, immigration officers visit at my house asking for witness to answers few questions. It took the officers less then an hour to complete the process and that is about all. We wait for result to be announce on the given date dated by the immigration officer. I have 1 questions if any of you can help me.

Q. After completing all of the above mentioned procedure, can I start using the money deposited or do I have to wait till the outcome of the visa status.

You applied for an extension of stay, not a visa.

It used to be Ok, but there have been some recent reports in which people were told to keep the money in the bank till they received the final approval.

Might be best to ask the immigration office you use.

Yes, I have already got the "visa under consideration" stamp. With that, it allows me to use the money ?I find it weird because, the money has been sitting in the account for 2 months. And now it will take another 2 months to wait for results. Least to say, we are putting the money in the bank for 4 months i.e. if we cannot use the money.

It is the date you get the actual extension stamp done which should be on the date on the under consideration stamp.

It would probably be OK to take out a small amount.

I do recall a post saying that they got a call from immigration because they had taken out 60k baht and they had to deposit it back into the account to get approval.

You could check with your immigration office to get their opinion.

The reason they your bank balance is to if you have pulled all the money out shortly after you applied for the extension. Their have been some that borrow the money and need to repay it fast to reduce the interest due.

It is not a formal policy to check the balance and not all offices (local or regional) do it.

So no formal written notice to keep it there.

Edited by ubonjoe