Aircraft explodes at military airport in Rayong

webfact

Feel really sorry for the lads. It is a known fact that up to 70 percent of the money allocated to the military is embezzled. A lot of the guns reported stolen from military barracks by separatists were actually stolen by corrupt officers who then sold the guns in the thriving weapons black market. The gun probably exploded because it was Vietnam era machine-gun clearly past its intended service time or a cheap reconditioned reject sold to us because the military big wigs siphoned off most of the budget to fund their "kiks" and summer houses instead of replacing those outdated M60's/M134 mini-guns with GAU-8 cannons.

Edited by smileydude

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Air Force needs to be in a state or readiness in case they decide to drop 1,000,000 paper cranes on the South again.

If I recall correctly, they weren't exactly ready to assist in evacuating people from Egypt.

Does anybody have any idea of what exactly exploded? It surely wasn't an entire aircraft?

Would also love to know the details of the accident and type of aircraft they were working on.

Having spent many hours fixing and repairing aircraft gun systems during the Vietnam war here, I know the dangers involved in working with munitions. With all the safeguards designed and in place, nothing can protect you from the carelessness and disregard for safety that is needed and required of dealing with live ammo.

I personally have never understood having the Thai air force. Who are they going to do air strikes on,

Cambodia ????

Silly question. Someone needs to buy Uncle Sam's surplus. Just look at those Vietnam war era M-60 tanks they love to show off when there is a coup.

All you people putting down Thai military and its ability. Do you know anything about firstly aviation ?? very easy to post these comments while you live here in Thailand and put everything about the country down.

Well I did 25 years in the RAF. Does that count?

How many years of military service did you complete and in which branch?

Where you a pilot??? I am an active pilot with over 28 years flying. I fly with x Thai Military pilots daily and they are as good as any British/American/Australian pilots I have flown with. I suppose you might live in Thailand now right?? If so with your Military service would be nice to have some mutule respect for the air force of the country you now live in!!

Just as a point of interest. Just how many RAF pilots have you flown with? How many Thai pilots go through the US Top Gun school?.

All you people putting down Thai military and its ability. Do you know anything about firstly aviation ?? very easy to post these comments while you live here in Thailand and put everything about the country down.

Where you a pilot??? I am an active pilot with over 28 years flying. I fly with x Thai Military pilots daily and they are as good as any British/American/Australian pilots I have flown with. I suppose you might live in Thailand now right?? If so with your Military service would be nice to have some mutule respect for the air force of the country you now live in!!

Just as a point of interest. Just how many RAF pilots have you flown with? How many Thai pilots go through the US Top Gun school?.

I currently work with 2 Ex RAF pilots and many EX US air force pilots as well. Did you go to top gun school ?? Are you a pilot by the way??

I personally have never understood having the Thai air force. Who are they going to do air strikes on,

Cambodia ????

Neutral States like Austria,Switzerland or Sweden have an air-force.

To have an air-force doesn't mean you HAVE to strike on something. There are enough other scenarios where you may need an air-force, including securing the sovereignty over the airspace.

Treaty of Amity 1966

Thailand has something better than their current air force. They have a treaty with America that says basically

America will open a can of whoop ass on any country that attacks Thailand. So all these goofy expenditures

on military hardware is simply a way to enrich the 1700 military generals here in Thailand.

1. the blimp that cannot fly

2. mind boggling attempt to get a submarine.

3. the fabulous aircraft carrier that has no planes that can fly, and I read recently it is incapable of making headway

The taxpayer's money is being wasted. It is not a budget problem.

They probably don't need submarines or an aircraft carrier, but F18s that can fly. And get rid of the old aircraft and Vietnam war era helicopters.

You must have an exciting job Sir flying with x Thai Military pilots daily. Where do you fly to? This is not a baiting post I would just like to know.

Gulf of Thailand with some very professional Thai pilots who I am proud to fly with and work with!! The operation by the way has an outstanding safety record. That is why I can read all these posts by people blanket bashing anything in Thailand. I like being here and live here by personal choice and do respect the people here. Seems many ex pat guys live here but hate everything about the place apart from bars and girls and cheap beer. My advise is to them is to go home.

Edited by livingthedreamonthebeach
  • Like 2

Cambodia ???

Don't you think Thailand has the rigth to have an Air Force just like you country does ?

Anyway, during WWII Thailand fought Laos-based Franchs. Apparantely the Thai AF did good that maybe another reason they want the tradition to continue.

they also surrended to the Japs.

Ask anyone between 15 and 45 about WW2 blink.png No such thing happened

Wonderful schools here, lets not teach the kids anything about the outside world w00t.gif

Reminds me of one of the lessons I had with my M3 students (before I left) -- I showed them the wiki on it and asked them "Did your Thai teachers ever teach you this in History?" "Yeah, that's right... Thailand declared war on the US coalition... how do you feel about that?" and they told me that all they learn in Thai history is that Thais are always good and are always right.

Is "Wiki" your main reference point for your course material in teaching ?

What was the US coalition ?

Do all countries not portray that their country is always good and always right when recounting their history ?

Cambodia ????

Ditto for having an aircraft carrier and I believe there was / is talk of getting submarines.

It's all just face and to stick it to all the near neighbours, we are bigger, better and stronger than you. As if they care.

If they build anything it will be built of wood and wood won't sink, so that's the end of a sub.

Cambodia ????

Ditto for having an aircraft carrier and I believe there was / is talk of getting submarines.

It's all just face and to stick it to all the near neighbours, we are bigger, better and stronger than you. As if they care.

What a stupid statement!!! MR super does your country of origin have an air force?? if so why do they need an air force?? Why do you think??

The Thai air force pilots are very good pilots and before making these statements you should think about how good your countries air force is and why they need an air force before posting such a stupid statement.

the second statement by Mr Platinum member mmmmm just as stupid. Thailand is one of the most progressive countries in the region so why shouldn't they get better military equipment?/

Is that only the right of powerful Western nations ?? no of course not

I hope,Mr. LTDOTB this doesn't ruin your impression of the Thai AF. Thai military pilots might be good pilots, but when it comes to military tactics, engagements, and planning to fight an air war, then they are not that great. Generally,.Thai pilots lack the demeanor and experience to execute a battle plan or even a dog fight. With dissimilar aircraft from other countries, Thai pilots test their skills against other countrie's military, often getting their asses kicked and humiliated by the opposing forces. Luckly, during the de-briefs, it often turns into a friendly lesson learned experience.

The Thais have good aircraft in their inventory, but just don't know how to effectively use them. Training for the pilots and the ground crews is severely lacking. I can only guess where there military training budget goes to.

• Like 1

Cambodia ????

What a stupid statement!!! MR super does your country of origin have an air force?? if so why do they need an air force?? Why do you think??

The Thai air force pilots are very good pilots and before making these statements you should think about how good your countries air force is and why they need an air force before posting such a stupid statement.

the second statement by Mr Platinum member mmmmm just as stupid. Thailand is one of the most progressive countries in the region so why shouldn't they get better military equipment?/

I know you may have difficulty understanding this Mr. Livinglifebydreamingonthebeach, but how about a hint........... would you let your toddler play with fireworks after he had learned how to strike a match or work a lighter?????

Never mind ..... better not answer that.

but maybe like not being in front of the working end of a gun when trying to unjam it...... Maybe huh, maybe

before I answer what country do you come from?? post that up and will answer your post :)

Cambodia ????

Don't forget the JAPS invaded/occupied Thailand during WW Two.

Given that the current Warmongering PM of Japan is building up his Navy and still fails to face upto the War Crimes committed by his ancestors, his Grandfather was one of Tojo's lackeys, Thailand is very correct in building up all areas of the military.

• Like 1

Cambodia ????

I know you may have difficulty understanding this Mr. Livinglifebydreamingonthebeach, but how about a hint........... would you let your toddler play with fireworks after he had learned how to strike a match or work a lighter?????

Never mind ..... better not answer that.

but maybe like not being in front of the working end of a gun when trying to unjam it...... Maybe huh, maybe

The chamber exploded!!!Maybe better to read and understand what you are reading before making"funny" comments.

Apparently they need more training. blink.png

That must be the first ever recorded accident in global military history!

Good point. This accident is small potatoes compared to what happened on the USS Forrestal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Forrestal_(CV-59)

"In July 1967, Forrestal departed Norfolk for duty in waters off Vietnam. In the Gulf of Tonkin on 29 July,Forrestal had been launching aircraft from her flight deck. For four days, the planes of Attack Carrier Air Wing 17 flew about 150 missions against targets inNorth Vietnam from the ship. On 29 July 1967, during preparation for another strike, a Zuni rocketinstalled on an F-4 Phantom, misfired, impacting an armed A-4 Skyhawk, side #405, parked on the port side (U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General Investigation Report of USS FORRESTAL Incident). The rocket's impact dislodged and ruptured the Skyhawk's 400-gallon external fuel tank. Fuel from the leaking tank caught fire, creating a serious conflagration that burned for hours, killing 134, injuring 161, destroying 21 aircraft and costing the Navy US$72 million.[6]"

• Like 1

one wonders why laos has an army? they're going to whoop china? thai? burma? vietnam?w00t.gif

Laos and Thailand have an army for one reason, and one reason only. And that function is to

whoop on its own citizens, as the Thai military has proven time and time again with their coups.

Buying military toys and scooping up a lot of the money from corrupt contracts is just gravy money

to keep the mia nois happy, and to keep gas in the Ferrari...

• Like 2

Cambodia ????

how about using it to patrol and crack down on illegal fishing in the Gulf of Thailand that would be a good start, whilst there still remains at least a slim chance of preventing every last piece of sea life being dredged out of there, which is the path they are currently on! How will Thailand look as a holiday destination when the Gulf is a lifeless pond and the beaches covered in oil slicks?

And lest we forget any country with huge landmass, shorelines and maritime space needs to have defenses - Thailand being no exception.

Still, should be more careful next time, a hammer is not a good way to unjam a gun!

It rarely puts to sea as it's too expensive to run. On arrival it was alongside in Sattahip for a long time and was only used as a backdrop for personnel to be photographed in front of and for the public on open days.

I do recall a letter in the other newspaper from a foreigner who had gone to see it with his Thai family and when he got into the pose position was stopped by naval personnel who said as a foreigner he could not be photographed near Thai military equipment !

I would suggest there is no chance for it to ever be used for regular operational purposes, the navy doesn't have the money. It was a complete waste of money but the navy just had to have one.

In response to a post from "livingthedreamonthebeach", I used to work in a multinational aerospace company in Thailand and yes, there are good pilots here.

Blanket bashing is easy. I myself also often make negative comments about Thailand, but I try to stick to the facts.

• Like 1

Can we change the title?!

"Shocking News - Thai Military Discharge Weapon - Thai Civilians Not The Target"

Or --- I am stupid to report that an aircraft exploded when it didn't. There was an incident at a Rayong military airport when ammunition exploded and person/s were injured, update to follow.

Cambodia ???

Don't you think Thailand has the rigth to have an Air Force just like you country does ?

Anyway, during WWII Thailand fought Laos-based Franchs. Apparantely the Thai AF did good that maybe another reason they want the tradition to continue.

They were also the only Asian country who joined the nip's in wwII against the Allies.

Where you a pilot??? I am an active pilot with over 28 years flying. I fly with x Thai Military pilots daily and they are as good as any British/American/Australian pilots I have flown with. I suppose you might live in Thailand now right?? If so with your Military service would be nice to have some mutual respect for the air force of the country you now live in!!

Ahaa!! I was wondering when the first of the many Thai Visa pilots was going to make a comment! Now just have to wait for the ex special forces, CIA/FBI agents to give us all a lesson in how to dismantle and service a gun in 30 seconds.

Where you a pilot??? I am an active pilot with over 28 years flying. I fly with x Thai Military pilots daily and they are as good as any British/American/Australian pilots I have flown with. I suppose you might live in Thailand now right?? If so with your Military service would be nice to have some mutual respect for the air force of the country you now live in!!

Ahaa!! I was wondering when the first of the many Thai Visa pilots was going to make a comment! Now just have to wait for the ex special forces, CIA/FBI agents to give us all a lesson in how to dismantle and service a gun in 30 seconds.

Actually there are real pilots on TV and based on what the said in one of his posts, one suspects he may fly choppers in the GOT, so before spouting off and shooting yourself in the foot...I would wait and see...wink.png

cant fix everything with a hammer

I managed to fix a problem with my door today with one.......didn't do a good job though, looked like i'd just retaliated against my worst enemy haha

you dont need a hammer old chap..one only needs to turn the handle to open a door.....

These Thai soldiers were and are doing their duty. I notice nobody has listed the US training military deaths, even in the United States. These soldiers are serving for the Nation. You verbal detractors; shut up, or go back to where you came from. Thank you.

• Like 1

Cambodia ????

Rioters in the Thai spring?