Best way to connect from the train to Don Muang airport?

daoyai

You don't say how you want to travel from the station where you alight from Chumphon, to DM. If by taxi then Bang Sue would be your best bet. You may even find a decent connection to DM by train if you're a real cheap Charlie like me.

Check the train schedule, believe it does stop at the DON MUANG STATION where you can cross over to the airport by the pedestrian overpass.

Note, it's NOT a long stop so have your bags ready and standing by at the door ready to bail out.

All this, of course, assuming that the trains are running from the south, considering the rubber farmers strike.

Mac

Do you know which train number you are taking?

As asedecas mentions, I am pretty sure that the nearest stop would be Bang Sue Junction, ~ 10 Km SW of DMK, so an easy taxi ride. A quick review of various rtains from the south, serving Chumpon, do not appear to stop at Don Mueang Train station.

You can check timetables here:

http://www.railway.co.th/home/srt/timetable/southlinetxt.asp?lenguage=Eng

click on the far right-hand column entry to display the stops.

Edited by lomatopo

I did the train from Hua Lam Phong to DM one time. It was the Chiang Mai train day train. Quite a gruelling 1hour15 min trip sitting on hard 3rd class seats always ready to be asked to move by somebody who has that seat reserved.

Cost 5 baht.

Just the thing to put you in a bad mood before a flight!

Walk across the road via the overpass. it's 300 meters.

and if you have some extra time and want to avoid the bad food and high prices inside DM terminal there are a bunch of thai food stalls as well as a big 7 11 near where you get off the train...walk to the opposite side of road from terminal and you'll spot them...there is also a big wat there if you want to kill some time looking at something more interesting than a waiting area in the airport...

Walk across the road via the overpass. it's 300 meters.

The 300m pedestrian link from DMK station is fine......it is the 10kms from Bang Sue that he is asking about!

If a northern/NE train from Bang Sue to DMK is not timely (remember assume that you will arrive later than the timetable) you could also take the MRT 2 stations to Chatujak station and then wait for the A1 or A2 bus which go DMK airport.

See the pics info in this thread, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/583608-shuttle-service-don-mueang-suvarnabhumi-airports-starts-oct-1/page-3

I did the train from Hua Lam Phong to DM one time. It was the Chiang Mai train day train. Quite a gruelling 1hour15 min trip sitting on hard 3rd class seats always ready to be asked to move by somebody who has that seat reserved.

Cost 5 baht.

Just the thing to put you in a bad mood before a flight!

Heh! I did that once. I was staying in Chinatown, a stone's throw from Hualamphong, so I thought "What could be easier? Jump on the train! It's got to be quicker than taxi, what with no traffic 'an all! Cheaper, too!"

Ha! I hadn't realised quite how slowly Thai trains can travel! I came close to missing my flight!

I've used them (Thai trains) again since, because I like trains. You get to meet people, you can relax (sort of), and you get to see the countryside at a relaxed pace. But I now use them in the knowledge that the Thai railway system is not for those who have a schedule to adhere to. If you are on a Thai train, and in a hurry, apoplexy beckons. :)