Cars dealers suffer from Yingluck's populist policy

webfact

Cars Dealers Suffer From Yingluck's Populist Policy
By Khaosod Online

BANGKOK: -- Like her influential brother, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra led Thailand down the road of populist policies aimed at easing the financial burdens of the grassroot and low-earning populace. Among her trademarks is the "First Car Program" which exempts tax for first-time car buyers.

The government insisted it would benefit the low-income citizens and boost number of car sales. But critics warned that the policy contributed to increased traffic jam in the already clogged roads of Bangkok.

A number of car dealers across the country are now complaining about the "First Car" plan as well, charging that it distorted market demands and in fact damaged the car sales business in the Kingdom, reported our correspondent at Prachachart.

Report from Japanese Chamber of Commerce indicated that in September, car sales from every manufacturer combined amounts to less than 100,000 cars, despite the sweltering promotion campaigns.

Market analysts believed that the motor business would also shrink at least 5-10% this year, as the real demand in the market does not match the virtual demand estimated by the car industry.

Car dealers interviewed by our correspondent explained that the supposed demand was drawn up in the previous period when the government announced ′First Car Program′. Excited customers rush to car dealers to place their orders to take advantage of the policy while it lasted.

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM056Y3hNREEzTlE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-08-28

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old car is for sale at 410,000 bht -Toyota Vios 5 years low mileage.

New Nissan Mitsu Honda eco start at that. so a glut of eco re claimed cars are on the market, 1 year old and have to sell at 350,000.

New customers wanting an economical car are not going to pay the same price for a 5 year old when they can have new, or lower if they take a second hand year old.

Car sales are going to have a big problem selling existing old stock. Thats apart from second hand more upmarket cars.

I got a second hand Nissan March push button start air bags -reverse back warning -re obstruction fogs--spoilers the lot. Why do you think I sold my Vios. ??

New Nissan Mitsu Honda eco start at that. so a glut of eco re claimed cars are on the market, 1 year old and have to sell at 350,000.

New customers wanting an economical car are not going to pay the same price for a 5 year old when they can have new, or lower if they take a second hand year old.

Car sales are going to have a big problem selling existing old stock. Thats apart from second hand more upmarket cars.

I got a second hand Nissan March push button start air bags -reverse back warning -re obstruction fogs--spoilers the lot. Why do you think I sold my Vios. ??

so how did you manage to sell your vios?

• Like 1

He didnt ,but he wanted to end on a happy note for himself .

It's not just the car dealers, it's the whole country that suffers.

*heavy sarcastic tone*

Yessss, but they were DEMOCRATICALLY elected*

*sarcasm off*

Thai people, <deleted>! This is what you voted for. And still people love the red shirts and PTP.

My MIL among them.rolleyes.gif

Well, those poor car dealers. Wow did they try to work me over when stocks were low - even on a late model nice used.

Now I hope they wind up eating new and used cars for dinner. I have no sympathy except for the Thai people who have to pay for this.

• Like 1

If something doesn't sell at a certain price then it's too expensive...so lower the price untill some one thinks the price is right and it will sell.

Maybe with all the extra cars sloshing around on the market the price of second hand cars will go down ???

• Like 2

Only one thing for it. The cars dealers are going to have to get in line behind the rice farmers, the rubber growers and the taxi drivers and get out on the streets and protest for financial support from the people they voted for.

Who'll be next I wonder?

smutcakes, on 28 Aug 2013 - 17:08, said:snapback.png

gl555, on 28 Aug 2013 - 16:51, said:snapback.png

Broken and failed promises. Typical PTP. It also reflects greatly on the morons who keep voting for these bunch of idiots.

Where is the broken promise?

Improving the lives of poor people....poor people don't buy new cars.

If they do it lands them in big strife.

Hence the high level of private debt in this country.

Didn't I read somewhere that it was 80% of GDP?

Was 6 months ago, just before this glut was hitting the market, as of today I would have had to keep the Vios, no probs on that score decent motor, just wanted newish car-pleased with my timing.