New website regarding police

I saw a TRAP set up today at Nathon near the ferry boats.

They were pulling scooter dooters everywhere.

Thank GOD I wear my helmet religiously.

What the heck am I going to do if per chance I didn't have the 400 bt like you did?

Do a stay at the Samui Hotel?

Also, do you have a copy of your passport with you at all times.
I have on on my smart phone, but I think this week I'll make a hard copy and leave it on the bike at all times.....

I don't want to give an excuse to get pulled over for anything.....

I saw a TRAP set up today at Nathon near the ferry boats.

They were pulling scooter dooters everywhere.

Thank GOD I wear my helmet religiously.

What the heck am I going to do if per chance I didn't have the 400 bt like you did?

Do a stay at the Samui Hotel?

Also, do you have a copy of your passport with you at all times.

I have on on my smart phone, but I think this week I'll make a hard copy and leave it on the bike at all times.....

I don't want to give an excuse to get pulled over for anything.....

Just to be pedantic - that is not a trap. That is the BIB's doing their job and fining people for not wearing a helmet. Well done boys.

As you say - wear a helmet - no problem.

If you do not have the money to pay the fine - they keep you there until you phone someone to bring the money to you. At the end of the 'session' if no one has come, they usually give you a hard time and let you go. (So I am told. I always wear a helmet as well.)

If you are a farang and you say that you do not have 400 baht - be prepared for a strip search, They will not believe you. (Just kidding!)

I have a Thai driving licence so I do not need a passport, but before I had the licence - I always carried a copy of my passsport and also a copy of my UK licence. (Useless really - the police cannot read English - but you are ticking the boxes.) Just a side point - if you live in Thailand and want to renew your passport, Thailand is one of the very few countries where the government tell you NOT to send your old passport with the application (to HongKong). They advise that you keep your passport with you at all times.

Never show the police a smartphone- or a wallet full of cash. This could lead them into temptation.

I have been stopped at checkpoints a few times, but I am always waved through. My neighbour has now been fined 5 times for no helmet. My thought is - why risk it?

From British FCO website

"By law you must carry your passport with you at all times. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport."

Doesn't say copies will be accepted.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

You are 100% correct yorkie.

But, as we know, there is the letter of the law and then there is the spirit of the law.

I have never had a problem in Thailand with a 'recognised' photo id card. (driving licence etc etc.) When I show the DL - there is never a question or argument. It shows my passport number and address. I carry the copy passport just for the visa details.

I have wandered. sorry.gifofftopic.gif

• Like 1

From British FCO website

"By law you must carry your passport with you at all times. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport."

Doesn't say copies will be accepted.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

You are 100% correct yorkie.

But, as we know, there is the letter of the law and then there is the spirit of the law.

I have never had a problem in Thailand with a 'recognised' photo id card. (driving licence etc etc.) When I show the DL - there is never a question or argument. It shows my passport number and address. I carry the copy passport just for the visa details.

I have wandered. sorry.gifofftopic.gif

Agreed, Thai driving licence is acceptable most places including for internal flights but.......you never know!

Edited by Rooo
Combined replies .

I've lost a couple of friends here...please wear a crash helmet (a good one) guys and girls wai.gif

Sorry about your friends. I did not 'like' your post because you lost them - I 'like' it because you encourage the wearing of helmets.

To be fair, I have noticed a lot more riders wearing bone domes these days as well as more police checks. This can only help things.

• Like 2

I've lost a couple of friends here...please wear a crash helmet (a good one) guys and girls wai.gif

Sorry about your friends. I did not 'like' your post because you lost them - I 'like' it because you encourage the wearing of helmets.

To be fair, I have noticed a lot more riders wearing bone domes these days as well as more police checks. This can only help things.

What do you mean by "bone domes"?

Is that the bicycle helmet that I've noticed a few riders wearing?

Surely the police are not going to except that as a legit helmet.

And.............if you are going to go to the trouble (no trouble actually) why not get a good one?

I bought mine for 1500bt from that scooter dooter place on the same side of Tesco Chaweng, going south where they rent out the luxury cars.

post-182848-0-45762300-1377852508_thumb.

What do you mean by "bone domes"?

Is that the bicycle helmet that I've noticed a few riders wearing?

Surely the police are not going to except that as a legit helmet.

And.............if you are going to go to the trouble (no trouble actually) why not get a good one?

I bought mine for 1500bt from that scooter dooter place on the same side of Tesco Chaweng, going south where they rent out the luxury cars.

Apologies to all. Bone domes, skid lids all old English slang from the '60s and '70s. I should have written crash helmets.

On what the police consider legal - ANYTHING. I have seen people wearing a plastic policeman's helmet from a fancy dress set.

I bought my helmet from Ohm Motorbikes. Good quality and XXL for a large head. (About 4,000 baht)

You are correct - the 150 baht jobbies from Big C are not much use - except that they save a fine. Unfortunately most Thais cannot afford 1,500 baht.

I gave decent crash hemets to all of my staff once. Most of them were sold for cash in less than a week. Now - "up to them".

Get a Motocycle Taxi Home. Get The 3/400 Bht Fine money, Return, and pay The Fine. Rocket Science:)

Rocket science would be to buy a cheap helmet - wear it all of the time. Save 200 baht or more. wink.png

(and that's every time that there is a police check laugh.png )

Questions if I may:

1. The Helmet Campaign is to wear a helmet 100% of the time.

That also includes the rider and they will get ticketed if not wearing.

That is the law, correct? (Just confirming)

2. So, how about the passengers on the back of motorbike taxis?

Are they also supposed to wear a helmet?

Questions if I may:

1. The Helmet Campaign is to wear a helmet 100% of the time.

That also includes the rider and they will get ticketed if not wearing.

That is the law, correct? (Just confirming)

2. So, how about the passengers on the back of motorbike taxis?

Are they also supposed to wear a helmet?

1 Yes - passengers as well. All 3 of them!whistling.gif

2 Yes. In Bangkok - MB taxis carry spare helmets for passengers. I never found one that fitted properly though.

Passengers are rarely fined from what I have seen on Samui - but it is the law.