How much to put by for Medical Emergencies

Pilotman

I am sure that this has been asked before, but what amount of money do members keep in the bank to cover emergency, and for that matter routine, medical issues? In my planning for retirement in 3 years time, I am thinking that the required 800K Bhat for the retirement visa is a good pot to keep for that purpose, as well as for the visa?

You may be better advised to seek a health insurance policy.

You would need, in my opinion, cover in excess of 1 million bht as a minimum to provide for emergency medical issues.

Routine outpatient care can reasonably be met from routine expenditure but inpatient care can be expensive.

Edited by jrtmedic
  • Like 1

If you are still under 60, it might be worth looking into a Thai health insurance policy *now* as I understand some of the larger insurers will only insure you after 60 if you were covered before you turn 60.

To give you an idea, I've had a BUPA policy for over ten years. Last year, at age 57, I renewed at the middle level of coverage (ISTR there are three levels, mine is called "Emerald" and I have "OPD Plus" for outpatient care), and I paid ~B44,000 for a one-year policy. It also includes for Medical Evacuation and Repatriation. I just glanced at the invoice for my last policy and it lists the amount as "1,000,000" and under "Medical Evacuation and Repatriation" it says "(USD)" -- not sure if that really means I have one million US dollar coverage, but even if "only" one million Thai baht, it's a nice feature to have, but hopefully never need.

You should definitely get insurance if you can, and maintain it.

If you cannot get insurance 9e.g. if you are uninsurable due to age or pre-exisiting conditions) and have to self insure, I would say not less than 5 million baht put aside purely for catastrophic medical costs. Even that is pushing it somewhat since you might have more than one such event. The insurance policy I have (for inpatient care only) covers up to 5 million per episode.

Routine medical costs ,i.e. outpatient doctor visits, medication and the like, you can probably cover out of your regular living expenses.

If you cannot get insurance 9e.g. if you are uninsurable due to age or pre-exisiting conditions) and have to self insure, I would say not less than 5 million baht put aside purely for catastrophic medical costs. Even that is pushing it somewhat since you might have more than one such event. The insurance policy I have (for inpatient care only) covers up to 5 million per episode.

Routine medical costs ,i.e. outpatient doctor visits, medication and the like, you can probably cover out of your regular living expenses.

Sheryl, I think your estimate of 5 million THB is well within the ballpark for medical treatment in Thailand. It does not, however, cover any need regarding Medivac which is exponentially expensive.

For those who wish to carry on living and chose home country treatment, they may require a Medivac since a commercial airline may not be willing to transport a particular medically challenged traveller. I was not able to get an estimate for a Medivac for a friend unless i gave exact information which I could not give. I only know it's costly and understandably so.

Murphy's Law clearly states the however much you set aside will not be enough. Put aside as much as you can and get medical and/or travel insurance if you are able. You don't state how old you are or your state of health, so difficult to advise in more detail.

Sheryl, I think your estimate of 5 million THB is well within the ballpark for medical treatment in Thailand. It does not, however, cover any need regarding Medivac which is exponentially expensive.

For those who wish to carry on living and chose home country treatment, they may require a Medivac since a commercial airline may not be willing to transport a particular medically challenged traveller. I was not able to get an estimate for a Medivac for a friend unless i gave exact information which I could not give. I only know it's costly and understandably so.

Absolutely correct. 5 mill is for treatment in Thailand only. Medivac can easily run into 6 figures in US dollars, depending on distance and condition of the patient.

I did some more checking, and the medical evacuation and repatriation part of my BUPA policy *is* for one million US DOLLARS. Again, I hope to never need it, but it is a comfort to know I have that option.

FWIW, I opted to suspend the retiree insurance from my US employer as the premiums are actually more than what I'm paying to BUPA for comparable coverage (the repatriation package is a bonus.) Plus with BUPA, the hospital does the paperwork with BUPA and presents me with a bill for only what amount exceeded BUPA's coverage. With my USA insurance, I would need to pay the hospital/doctor in full up front, then file a claim and mail it to the USA and wait for reimbursement.

If you are still under 60, it might be worth looking into a Thai health insurance policy *now* as I understand some of the larger insurers will only insure you after 60 if you were covered before you turn 60.

To give you an idea, I've had a BUPA policy for over ten years. Last year, at age 57, I renewed at the middle level of coverage (ISTR there are three levels, mine is called "Emerald" and I have "OPD Plus" for outpatient care), and I paid ~B44,000 for a one-year policy. It also includes for Medical Evacuation and Repatriation. I just glanced at the invoice for my last policy and it lists the amount as "1,000,000" and under "Medical Evacuation and Repatriation" it says "(USD)" -- not sure if that really means I have one million US dollar coverage, but even if "only" one million Thai baht, it's a nice feature to have, but hopefully never need.

I've just looked at the recent premium schedule from Bupa for your plan. It is reassuring that what they are charging you is consistent with what they have documented for a new customer.

I have always been concerned that the prices quoted in the premium schedule were discounted just to get me as an initial customer.

I've looked over the new plan and unfortunately I do not see the emergency evacuation.

One of my concerns about a plan like this is the effect of inflation on the daily maximum benefits.

I've just looked at the recent premium schedule from Bupa for your plan. It is reassuring that what they are charging you is consistent with what they have documented for a new customer.

I have always been concerned that the prices quoted in the premium schedule were discounted just to get me as an initial customer.

I've looked over the new plan and unfortunately I do not see the emergency evacuation.

One of my concerns about a plan like this is the effect of inflation on the daily maximum benefits.

Assuming we are talking about BUPA Thailand...

Their best plan (and the only one with sufficient level of cover IMO) is Platinum and for some reason the schedules provided often do not list it as an option. I found out about it only after calling and asking them if there was any way to get a higher level of cover.

Platinum includes medivac (though it will be medivac back to Thailand) and also provides worldwide coverage with the exception of the US. Which for those of us who travel a lot, is a real plus.

For Platinum without the OPD option, late 50's paid about 57,000 baht. The OPD option is usually not worth it for most people as it substantially raises rates and OPD costs are usually affordable.

Their best plan (and the only one with sufficient level of cover IMO) is Platinum and for some reason the schedules provided often do not list it as an option. I found out about it only after calling and asking them if there was any way to get a higher level of cover.

Platinum includes medivac (though it will be medivac back to Thailand) and also provides worldwide coverage with the exception of the US. Which for those of us who travel a lot, is a real plus.

For Platinum without the OPD option, late 50's paid about 57,000 baht. The OPD option is usually not worth it for most people as it substantially raises rates and OPD costs are usually affordable.

I see from the premium rate schedule that the BUPA Thailand 5 million age range 56-60 has a premium of 69,170.

I'm surprised to see yours is less expensive than that.

5 million baht is a ridiculously high amount.

If you have that kind of cash, get health insurance.

If something happened to me that required treatment of 5 million baht, I'd rather be dead.

are you sure he still can get health insurance?

Yeah, it's BUPA Thailand I have. I just did some exploring on the BUPA web site, and it looks like they have totally changed their product offering. Or, not? There still seems to be the older offering of Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald, & Diamond but another web page shows (newer?) Platinum Plan, Personal care & Crystal Plan. It's a bit confusing, especially since the link to the .PDF file comparing Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald/Diamond makes no mention of repatriation. The policy summary with last year's invoice included it, though, on my Emerald plan.

I never realized it was for repatriation back to Thailand and not to my motherland, the USA. I just assumed it was to the USA. Maybe I'm given that impression since the amount of coverage is expressed in USD. That's a big misunderstanding on my part

[edited to add:]

Looking at a .PDF file detailing the coverage for the BUPA Platinum level policy, it states: "Renewal guarantee ... up to 70 y. of age"

Edited by wpcoe

At my age I can't get health ins. in LOS. I can however with a few legal tricks, maintain my US Medicare Advantage for about $100 a month. It's good only in the US or territories which include Guam.

So if I have a medical emergency in LOS, I'm out of pocket. But if it's expensive but not an emergency (cancer diagnosis, bypass surgery needed etc.) I can fly back to the US and I'm covered.

Point is, if there is anyway you can maintain your NHS or whatever, there may be that out. We have a thread running in General Topics where a guy is leaving LOS to go back to the UK for what sounds like serious medical needs. Then he hopes to come back.

• Like 1

Thanks Chaps, bit of a surprise all this, but good advice. I am now 65, but will be 69 when I retire to LOS. I have no existing medical conditions and I'm, (crossed fingers), very fit and healthy, but of course 69 is 69 and getting into my 70s may suddenly produce health compications, which it's best to be prepared for. BUPA sounds like the cost may be prohibitive at my age, so it looks like keeping a nice high 'health pot' in the bank may be my only realistic option. It can always be the kids inheritence money if I don't have to use it and I would keep it 'off shore' until needed. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this thread, but think this info may be useful to somebody?

On a BUPA Platinum Plan fact sheet I picked up in the Pattaya BUPA office this week, there were two things that relate to some items mentioned above:

(1) "Cover is world-wide. However, in the United States, Bupa will only cover those medical expenses which are the result of an accident." (I think the impression given above may have been that there was NO coverage while in the USA.)

(2) "Renewal is guaranteed up to and including the age of 70 years. However, if you join before the age of 61 and are continuously insured, renewal is guaranteed for life." (I gave information previously that BUPA wouldn't insure past age 70.)

Just had a look on the Bupa Thailand site and no mention of "Emerald". Is it called something else now? They have 'Platinum' Crystal, and Personal.

Just had a look on the Bupa Thailand site and no mention of "Emerald". Is it called something else now? They have 'Platinum' Crystal, and Personal.

Emerald is also part of the personal care group of policies.

From >this page< click on "Get a Quote Now" at the bottom of the "Personal Care" column. On the next page, enter your age and job classification #, and click on "Continue" and it will lead to a page which includes the Emerald plan.

That said, the Emerald plans of today are NOT the same as my grandfathered Emerald plan. One such difference is that my (10-year old?) Emerald plan includes a US1,000,000 repatriation provision, whereas the current Emerald plans do not. When I was posting earlier, I was not aware of the changes to the Emerald level plans, so disregard my comments about pricing and benefits on Emerald as they applied to me only, on a now-not-offered-plan. Sorry for any confusion that has caused.

This past week I opted to upgrade to Platinum. When I showed my Emerald BUPA card to the representative, she said, "Wow. This is very old plan!"

I declined any Outpatient supplemental. At my age, It costs B24,000 for B28,000 of coverage. I don't think I've ever used B24,000 of OPD, so I decided to gamble with the B4,000. If figure that if I lose, B4,000 isn't all that much to lose.