Thai officials to rein in illegal van after numerous crashes

webfact

Officials To Rein In Illegal Van After Numerous Crashes
By Khaosod Online

van.jpg

BANGKOK: -- In the wake of the van accident which killed 9 victims in Chachoengsao Province, the Department of Land Transport promised a more serious curb on vans that pick up passengers without proper license like the one involved in the latest fatal crash.

Illegally-operated vans have also made news in the past for their frequent accidents.

Mr. Jiruth Visanjitr, Director General of Department of Land Transport, said the department will toughen the law enforcement on these vans, to be in accordance with Transport Minister Chatchart Sitthiphan’s instruction.

Working in collaboration with the Transport Company and Bangkok Mass Transport Authority (BMTA), Mr. Jiruth told our correspondent he had ordered his officials to submit a report within one month, regarding the number of registered and unregistered vans in service in the Metropolitan area.

The report will also look at the numbers of passengers who take these vans, he said, and the Ministry will proceed to bring the unregistered vans under official regulation if it is proven that they service a large share of passengers on the roads.

"That would mean there have been too few registered vans to meet the passengers′ demands," Mr. Jiruth explained.

The license will come with stringent safety measures, such as a course on public safety for the vans′ staff and a bi-annual vehicle check-up, according to Mr. Jiruth.

The director said that this would force the "ghost minivans" to comply with the regulation issued by Transport Ministry. Since the beginning of 2013, the police have made over 2,500 arrests over these illegal vehicles, Mr. Jiruth told our correspondent.

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM056Y3hOall5TkE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-08-29

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't all drivers already be receiving training and regular vehicle inspections anyway? How about having a licence number displayed on the vehicle and drivers display an identification card proving that they are licenced to operate. The public only have the word of the driver.

and also what type of insurance they have if any,if they have only por-ro-bor.gov.cover that would only cover a day or two in hospital.

so the same should include taxi's,tuk-tuks and any form of transport.

so we expats should be very careful who we travel with.unless we have personel cover.

• Like 2

the Department of Land Transport promised a more serious curb on vans that pick up passengers without proper license like the one involved in the latest fatal crash.

How many dead people you need to take serious ACTION ??????? Its like the toll way , No van allow on the right lane or they face 5,000 bath fee ......... drive on the toll and you will see that nothing has ever changed as nothing will EVER changed here about driving and road safety ... Maybe in 30 or 40 years ...

• Like 1

How would we know if a van is illegal before we climb onboard?

If the number plate is white with black letters it's registered as a private vehicle, so illegal.

Vans legally licensed to carry fare paying passengers carry a yellow plate. The van in the news story here is registered as a private van, hence, blue plate, thus illegal..

Too many of these types are running around picking up passengers. They need to crack down on more of these vans before more of these vans crack up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Thailand

As usual they react after an accident happens. Is there a Thai word for "proactive"?

There might be some very short term actions undertaken by the authorities at this time. But in 2-3 weeks from now you wont hear about it anymore and it will be back to the same situation. This is the Thai way. Nothing will ever change. They don't have what it takes. It is hopeless (I mean it)

• Like 1

Thailand has the ability to enforce road safety, especially on public service vehicles. I can't think of anywhere with more police check points. They have the way to do it, but I fear this is hot air and bluster.

No one really cares enough to make a difference, and that's a tragic reflection on the government and Thai society.

For once, I actually have to agree with the Blethered One. You could extend his words and get the police to pull in all minivans at the numerous weighbridges all over the country to check out legitimacy. However, I fear the governments words are purely lip service to appease the traveling masses. Trouble is, no-one believes them after so many unfulfilled previous promises.

Shouldn't all drivers already be receiving training and regular vehicle inspections anyway? How about having a licence number displayed on the vehicle and drivers display an identification card proving that they are licenced to operate. The public only have the word of the driver.

Two days ago, 27/8, this was raised on Morning Thailand, due to the accident mentioned here, one reporter was saying she was in one of these mini buses, only to find out the driver was NOT licensed, but was learning to drive.

is it legal for operators to cut out all the rear seat belts? If not make it so, if it is then every vehicle I have ever seen like this is illegal, as well as all the taxis, They have their work cut out whatever.

Edited by sms747

Ok guys, if they go after the illigal ones does that mean that the legal ones aren't speeding. What they should do is have more coppers driving cars around with some video cameras in it. Videoing the drivers and then fining them harshly maybe showing the idiotic stunts on TV this way shaming them into complying.

But its much easier for the cops to pull motorcycles as there are more of those and easier targets. Its all about money not safety.

• Like 1

My problem is the legal ones are just as bad as the illegal ones, I do not understand why they only concentrate on the illegal ones.

Exactly

I for the life of me can not figure out how a license is going to prevent an accident. Where I come from they had a mandatory vehicular check also the drivers had to pass a certain test to drive a public vehicle.

Why people think that just getting a license will solve the problem is beyond my scope of comprehension. The vehicles should be subject to minimum standards and checked every year and the drivers should be made to pass more stringent tests.

Then and only then you will see a reduction in the accidents. just licensing them does nothing except provide more money to the government.

I would not be one bit surprised if an investigation showed some not all unlicensed vans and drivers to be the safer choice. The reason we here so much about the unlicensed ones is because these are English based sources of information we get it from and to them a license has a different meaning than in Thailand.blink.png

• Like 2

My problem is the legal ones are just as bad as the illegal ones, I do not understand why they only concentrate on the illegal ones.

Exactly

I for the life of me can not figure out how a license is going to prevent an accident. Where I come from they had a mandatory vehicular check also the drivers had to pass a certain test to drive a public vehicle.

Why people think that just getting a license will solve the problem is beyond my scope of comprehension. The vehicles should be subject to minimum standards and checked every year and the drivers should be made to pass more stringent tests.

Then and only then you will see a reduction in the accidents. just licensing them does nothing except provide more money to the government.

I would not be one bit surprised if an investigation showed some not all unlicensed vans and drivers to be the safer choice. The reason we here so much about the unlicensed ones is because these are English based sources of information we get it from and to them a license has a different meaning than in Thailand.Posted Image

When the Government or one of its ministries comment that they are looking into the policies of licensing of mini busses. I think the majority will agree with me on the following;

1. Minibuses should be limited in public service to a particular, route, distance and speed. It's no point investing in 10 more air bags or if the driver should have a circus license or even speaks the good ingalisch!

2. Comfort is good, but priority is safety and instead of making some lame circus loop to increase fares on this licenses. It should increase the insurance on each passenger and the compensation to families in the case of death.

3. Public transport should be properly defined. Size of bus, routes, stops, securities in weight, storage, and maintainence!,,

4. Personalized vehicles such as ferraris and those who think they are land pilots should be grounded, jailed or license confiscated.

5.install in all public transport busses speed records and driving meters to control the drivers rest periods. Alcohol tests prior to long journeys and spot tests on the way. A second driver and route reporting of time,

Thailand, wake up you are no longer ignorant to common sense.

Money can not substitute stupidity, even though it probably paid off in the past on compassion or religious grounds!

Thailand has the ability to enforce road safety, especially on public service vehicles. I can't think of anywhere with more police check points. They have the way to do it, but I fear this is hot air and bluster.

No one really cares enough to make a difference, and that's a tragic reflection on the government and Thai society.

Even if laws were policed the fines are so low that for them it is worth the risk. Even ordinary folk are driving round in death traps cos if caught the fine is a pittance compared with making a ride safe and legal.

The government should instigate huge fines for a dodgy setup and advertise it. Also any law officer taking money to forget an issue should be sacked and tried.

In all honesty it's not having or not having a "licence" that has any effect, the Thai driving licence tests parking and driving slowly around a parking lot. It is the amount of time that a van driver is spending behind the wheel in a sleep deprived state doped to the eyeballs of Red-Bull etc.

Having insurance and a licence will NOT STOP these crashes where poor driver judgement is the cause.

• Like 2

In all honesty it's not having or not having a "licence" that has any effect, the Thai driving licence tests parking and driving slowly around a parking lot. It is the amount of time that a van driver is spending behind the wheel in a sleep deprived state doped to the eyeballs of Red-Bull etc.

Having insurance and a licence will NOT STOP these crashes where poor driver judgement is the cause.

A driver might only drive for a few hours but if he was on the piss the night before or taking recreational dope then an accident can happen at any time. The drivers should be taught and threatened with grief if they cause an accident related to stuff they have been warned about.

• Like 1

If they wanted to get serious about this point they could start with the vans and drivers that shuttle the kids to and from school in these parts, the drivers act as though they emergency vehicles to whom the law does not apply and are super scary at times - I seriously fear for the kids..

Next port of call would be vehicles owned by small hotels on the airport run, only slightly more frightening than watching seriously drunk drivers at times.

Possible solution: ho about if all commercial operators are required to have telephone number and identity details on the back of the vehicle in a font size that can actually be read, "if my driving is bad..." etc.

As already said, who cares if it is legal or not, I just want a good slow driver, do they exist.

These vans should be limited to 100 klm, even 90 kl would be better.

There is millions of them, they will never control them. One strong move, speed limiters fitted with in 3 months and new plates when done.

Like the boats in Pattaya, monthly accidents. How does a boat hit an anchored boat or its anchor chain. Untrained, tired, drunk does not care until it is too late, easy to use the run away system.