Help! Need Quick Advice On Gold Prices!

geebee

I am looking to invest in gold right now and have closely monitored its rise in price. However, my wife assures me that it usually drops considerably in the weeks after Songkhran. I trust her opinion but the price continues to rise and I'm starting to think that maybe I should just strike now. Can anyone tell me, can I really expect a significant drop over the next few weeks?

i knew i should have bought before 1930!

Hard to believe that gold sat at (or below) $50 an ounce for 70 years, then spiked to $600 in less than 8 years (which coincides with the oil crisis that happened in the 70's).

But, like the song says "What goes up........must come down. Spinning wheel.....goes round and round"

Or will it ?

Generally speaking, it seems the world is getting uneasy with keeping their accumulated wealth in US dollars. And they should be uneasy - we all should be uneasy. So, the upcoming economies of China and India realize their dollars could be "frozen" or devalued at any time, and the people want to store their wealth in something tangible. Precious metals and the like are historically recognized ways to do that.

And in the end, those that have the gold, rule.

:o

kenk3z

I believe countries have always prety much stored their wealth (reserves) in gold in the modern age. Fort Knox holds fortunes for many countries. So does the Bank of England etc. Money is always equated back to precious metals. I promiose to pay the bearer on demand the sum of ... - it says on every UK bank note just below the Bank of England signuture - it is also 'signed' on behalf of the Governers and Company of the BoE by the chief cashier (currently Merlyn Lowther). The note isn't money, its a promisary note of the bearers entitlement to that sum in Gold or Silver. Originally coinage carried its value in the metal it was made form - not anymore though.

FOREX Traders often trade back to 'safe' currencies before close or before holidays etc to protect against large swings while the exchange is closed. The 'safe' currencies are the US Dolar, the Pound, the Euro and the Yen (used to be the German Mark before the Euro).

I read somewhere (Investers Chronicle?) that gold has been the best and most consistant investment since the 1919 crash - the graph above shows it to be the case (especially over the 60-70's - wow!!!). The FTSE 10 (now a virtual index I think as its not specifically listed anymore) has returned 18% on average for any 4 year period since the 1919 crash! ...but the FTSE 10 changes a fair bit, so incurs trading costs etc (these may be hidden in Index Tracking Unit Trusts etc), so Gold is still the best to date.

Its always worrying whether to jump in now and loose out to a drop, or wairt and miss out on a gain. I spent three years in the UK renting while waiting for the house price bubble to burst again.

Where do you buy gold bullions? The normal chinese gold shops here sell them, or? I have a few certificates abroad, but how do you handle them here in Thailand. In a safe? In a bank safe?

If you want to buy bullion for investment purposes, probably the easiest way is to buy shares of one the the exchange traded gold funds. They trade just like stock and each share represents 1/10th of an ounce of gold. Examples are the ETF with symbol GLD on the New York Stock exhange and symbol GOLD which trades on the Austrialian stock market. I seem to recall that there was one that trades in London as well. Main advatnage of these is that you don't have to worry about storing the gold and you can buy & sell ETF shares instantly. However buying gold coins or bars instead of shares in an ETF has the advantage of being possible to in your backyard.

Where do you buy gold bullions? The normal chinese gold shops here sell them, or? I have a few certificates abroad, but how do you handle them here in Thailand. In a safe? In a bank safe?

the gold shops sell bars in 5 and 10 "baht" weights for the price on the wall. Safty deposit boxes are about 500 baht a year at most banks.