Counter staff at Chiang Mai Immigration

One of the people handing out tickets at Chiang Mai Immigration is a girl, short of hair and stature, and somewhat rotund of face and body. I have had the misfortune to get my ticket from her on my last two visits. On the first occasion, she couldn't find the tickets, so she wrote a number on one and handed it to me. It later transpired that a ticket with the same number on it had already been issued. Today, she gave me a ticket that had a number on it *less* than the one that was advertised as being served. I went to tell her about this and to ask for a new ticket. She did not wait to hear what I wanted to tell her. She merely said "Wait in line".

Has anyone else had negative experiences with this nitwit?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I have no personal experience.

Sounds as if someone should have a quiet word with one of the more Senior immigration officials.

The girl maybe needs a change of job.

If the Lady really is "challenged" the Thais should be applauded for for attempting to integrate her into the workforce

She's not particularly challenged, when measuring her against the population as a whole. However, she is not up to the job to which she has been assigned. I cannot see that a change of assignment within the Immigration Police would result in more efficient and effective performance.

By all means integrate her into the workforce, but perhaps applause should be withheld (or at least muted), pending her integration into a part of the workforce, outside the Immigration Police, to which her skill set is better suited.

Edited by chrisartist
  • Like 2

Beggars belief in this day and age IMHO that ticket numbers are still dispensed manually at a large immigration office like Chiang Mai! At my local immigration office (Maptaput), all you do is press the relevant button on a machine and out pops a numbered ticket for you!

However, does such an antediluvian practice remain the rule rather than the exception at immigration offices generally?

I'm sure you Chiang Maians can't wait for the day when that allegedly incompetent female is replaced by a machinewhistling.gif

• Like 1

Beggars belief in this day and age IMHO that ticket numbers are still dispensed manually at a large immigration office like Chiang Mai! At my local immigration office (Maptaput), all you do is press the relevant button on a machine and out pops a numbered ticket for you!

However, does such an antediluvian practice remain the rule rather than the exception at immigration offices generally?

I'm sure you Chiang Maians can't wait for the day when that allegedly incompetent female is replaced by a machinewhistling.gif

Be happy you have a automated machine, we at Phuket have also a automated machine but it is never used because the officers don't like it.whistling.gif

• Like 1

"Beggars belief in this day and age IMHO that ticket numbers are still dispensed manually at a large immigration office like Chiang Mai! At my local immigration office (Maptaput), all you do is press the relevant button on a machine and out pops a numbered ticket for you!"

​It all depends on the cognitive capability of the "customer" smile.png

Takes skill to operate those machine things !

"Beggars belief in this day and age IMHO that ticket numbers are still dispensed manually at a large immigration office like Chiang Mai! At my local immigration office (Maptaput), all you do is press the relevant button on a machine and out pops a numbered ticket for you!"

​It all depends on the cognitive capability of the "customer" smile.png

Takes skill to operate those machine things !

Well it's a skill I've finally managed to master at any rate!

Edited by OJAS

Actually, they used to have a ticket machine and it now stands gathering dust in a corner. I think the problem was that too many customers would get queue tickets for counters that don't provide the service they needed and then get angry when they waited for hours only to be told they needed to get a queue ticket for another counter.

The current process of telling a live person why you're there and having that person hand out a ticket for the correct counter is an improvement, provided the person handing out the tickets was also capable of answering basic questions and checking that paperwork was in order. That's what the ace crew of officers did when they first opened the doors on the day I was there recently, but then they turned this important function over to the gal in question once she showed up for work at 8:30 am.

Edited by NancyL

I am sure the poor girl is trying her best to be helpful.

But I can also imagine how she is treated by some "Farangs"

The day I was there recently, the rudest people were Japanese, Korean and Chinese. Oh yes, especially the Chinese. They make us Americans look polite!

Be happy you have a automated machine, we at Phuket have also a automated machine but it is never used because the officers don't like it.whistling.gif

So does this mean that not only do you have to count the number of people in front of you but also keep a beady eye out for possible queue-jumpers when your turn is next?

Edited by OJAS

So does this mean that not only do you have to count the number of people in front of you but also keep a beady eye out for possible queue-jumpers when your turn is next?

Correct.

I am sure the poor girl is trying her best to be helpful.

But I can also imagine how she is treated by some "Farangs"

The day I was there recently, the rudest people were Japanese, Korean and Chinese. Oh yes, especially the Chinese. They make us Americans look polite!

LOL smile.png !

Yes I am aware of the problems created by some "Asian" visitors. A friend of mine found it necessary to eject a whole group of people from his restaurant just a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by jrtmedic

chiang mai

All "of topic" but thanks for the laugh !

Stand by to be wiped out !smile.png

I'm very serious, I pay X to a visa company that here in Chiang Mai that provides excellent service, they provide me with four 90 day report slips (via email), and a re-entry visa (if I want it) and it all works really well, I notify them if my 90 day report date changes by virtue of travel and the agency staff all speak excellent English.

They will also take care of my O-A visa extention if I ask them to but historically that has always been a simple and trouble free process for me, especially using the online reservation system. Cost of service? Very inexpensive, especially when compared to the frustration and time expended otherwise. Safety? I keep my passport with me at all time and the agency takes copies once a year.

Interesting, might be worth a try. Can you give us the name of the visa company and its location?

Hmm, I wonder whether the reluctance of those in charge at Chiang Mai, Phuket and presumably other offices as well to allow the punters themselves to use the ticket numbering machines could easily be overcome through the Immigration Bureau introducing a requirement for extension of stay applicants to provide a Certificate Of Competence In Using The Ticket Numbering Machine, in addition to the usual finance, address, etc evidencesmile.png

Why not try speaking nicely to and about her----------Using the Thai language of course !smile.png

Thai langauge won't impress anyone at immigration. I speak it pretty well and every time I speak in Thai to them, they answer back in English. That is standard experience though with most Thais. Speak a few words and they love it. Any more and you know a bit too much. I have a friend who has a masters degree in Thai. Sometimes it takes him three sentences before they answer back in Thai.

• Like 1

chiang mai

All "of topic" but thanks for the laugh !

Stand by to be wiped out !smile.png

I'm very serious, I pay X to a visa company that here in Chiang Mai that provides excellent service, they provide me with four 90 day report slips (via email), and a re-entry visa (if I want it) and it all works really well, I notify them if my 90 day report date changes by virtue of travel and the agency staff all speak excellent English.

They will also take care of my O-A visa extention if I ask them to but historically that has always been a simple and trouble free process for me, especially using the online reservation system. Cost of service? Very inexpensive, especially when compared to the frustration and time expended otherwise. Safety? I keep my passport with me at all time and the agency takes copies once a year.

Interesting, might be worth a try. Can you give us the name of the visa company and its location?

I'll send you a PM