First US congresswoman of Thai descent vows to foster ties

webfact

THAI-US RELATIONS
First US congresswoman of Thai descent vows to foster ties

Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation

30213746-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- Ladda Tammy Duckworth, the first US congresswoman of Thai descent, promised yesterday that she would do her best to establish closer ties between Thailand the United States.

She was speaking at a forum organised by Chulalongkorn University's Institute of Security and International Studies.

"I hope to be able to foster closer ties between the US and America," she said in Thai, before adding in English that she was "very proud to be Thai-American". After delivering her speech she was happy to hold a long Q&A session with the eager audience.

However, it was her comments about leadership and doing what is right without fear of failure that won hearts yesterday. "True leadership isn't just about doing what's right in front of the cameras or while there's someone watching, but doing it when one thinks it's right," she said.

Duckworth won a Purple Heart after she lost both her legs when the Black Hawk helicopter she was piloting got hit by an RPG in 2004 in Iraq.

The Illinois representative, who left Thailand when she was eight, said people should be willing to take risks, learn from their mistakes and be willing to pick themselves up when they're down.

In the Q&A session, Duckworth was asked questions on a wide range of subjects, including Washington's perceived double standards in relation to foreign policy, the number of women politicians there, Edward Snowden and Guantanamo Bay prison to name a few. She defended the US's chummy relationship with repressive regimes such as Saudi Arabia, saying these ties served in the best interests of the American people. "The role of any government is to look after its own people," she said.

As for the cyber espionage exposed by Snowden, Duckworth said: "Let's be realistic. We're not the only nation which is conducting cyber espionage," adding that China and Russia monitored the Net more closely. "If you think the government is not right, then stay and fight it… Have the courage of your conviction and stand up for that," she said, referring to Snowden, who has been granted refuge in Russia.

As for Private Bradley Manning, who was prosecuted for contributing to WikiLeaks, she said: "I think the young man was looking for attention. I think he was seduced and took the mantle of being a crusader, which I don't think he was."

However, she did not defend Washington when asked about Guantanamo Bay, saying she wanted it to be shut down immediately because it went against the US constitution as it did not give prisoners the right to a fair trial.

The Iraq war veteran trod carefully when asked about Syria. On the one hand she asked how the international community could sit by idly when hundreds of thousands of people were being killed, while on the other she said the US could not afford another war. "It doesn't benefit us right now," she said, adding that she did not support the arming of the rebels in Syria, as there was no guarantee that the arms would not fall into the hands of terrorists.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-30

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I hope to be able to foster closer ties between the US and America," she said in Thai, before adding in English that she was "very proud to be Thai-American".

Mmmmm....seems like she knows what she's talking about......to foster close ties between the US and America !!..Good start.

A shame this scenario (mixed race person) would never be accepted in Thai politics....

Don't you have to be born in the U.S to be an American Politician. I know in Australia anyone from anywhere in the world can immigrate to Australia and be Prime Minister.

Good on her and I think there is something in this for Thailand. Foreigners/Farangs can actually contribute to their new countries and help them grow and prosper. Unfortunately Thailand still sees the rest of the world as uneducated fools and Farangs will never be allowed to have the opportunities in Thailand that Thai's are allowed in the west.

There are a number of well Educated farangs that could play a very productive role in Thai politics if they were allowed.

No. You have to be born a U.S. citizen to be president. Congressperson, you can be a Martian. There is currently a presidential contender born in Canada but of American parents, and he is still qualified but if there is any goodness left in the world, he will never win ... w00t.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Farang here can't even become Thai unless they jump through difficult hoops after many years - let alone have a chance in hell of influencing politics here in Thailand. Thailand has to be governed only by Thais and Chinese-Thais - that's why the Thai taxpayers pay rice farmers more to grow rice than the market value of the grain, and the proxy-run gov't wants 2.2 trillion baht for a speedy train which only a few rich people may use.

Congrats to the wise and courageous Thai-American woman who was elected to high office in the USA. Among other things, she will be a positive influence on millions of girls - in both countries. ....in contrast to someone like Thaksin, the poster boy for tax avoidance.

• Like 1

Thai-born US congresswoman urges Thais to overcome differences for national interest
By English News

13778274601537.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 30 – Thai-born Democrat US member of Congress from Illinois, Ladda Tammy Duckworth, yesterday called on Thai politicians to work together for the national interest.

Talking to the media yesterday after visiting Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at Government House, she said one of the issues in their discussion was the small proportion of female representatives in the Thai and American legislative bodies, at less than 20 per cent.

A larger number of woman lawmakers would contribute to the diversity of opinion and that they should be taught about politics and conducting political campaigns so that they have more involvement in politics, said Lt Col Duckworth.

While she hardly followed Thai political developments, Col Duckworth said she found similarities between Thai and American politics regarding various factions or political parties in Parliament and Congress, and differences of opinion among representatives.

“This is our country. Thai people, whether from the South or the North, have to cooperate in solving problems,” she said. This was her first visit to her native land in five years.

“The differences remind us that we have freedom in our country. Without freedom, we can’t talk or express our personal opinions,” Col Duckworth said. “There are many countries where people do not have the freedom of expression like us.”

She said she could not give advice to Thai MPs as she has been in Congress for only seven months. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-08-30

Thai-born US congresswoman urges Thais to overcome differences for national interest

By English News

13778274601537.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 30 – Thai-born Democrat US member of Congress from Illinois, Ladda Tammy Duckworth, yesterday called on Thai politicians to work together for the national interest.

Talking to the media yesterday after visiting Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at Government House, she said one of the issues in their discussion was the small proportion of female representatives in the Thai and American legislative bodies, at less than 20 per cent.

A larger number of woman lawmakers would contribute to the diversity of opinion and that they should be taught about politics and conducting political campaigns so that they have more involvement in politics, said Lt Col Duckworth.

While she hardly followed Thai political developments, Col Duckworth said she found similarities between Thai and American politics regarding various factions or political parties in Parliament and Congress, and differences of opinion among representatives.

“This is our country. Thai people, whether from the South or the North, have to cooperate in solving problems,” she said. This was her first visit to her native land in five years.

“The differences remind us that we have freedom in our country. Without freedom, we can’t talk or express our personal opinions,” Col Duckworth said. “There are many countries where people do not have the freedom of expression like us.”

She said she could not give advice to Thai MPs as she has been in Congress for only seven months. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-08-30

“This is our country Guess you can't take the Thai out of her.

I am sure she returned the Thai passport once she became naturalised as an American, because that was what they wanted me to do here and hence I opted to remain an alien coffee1.gif

Why is that? My son holds two passports Thai/Australian. He is a citizen of both countries.

Tickled by the National News Bureau of Thailand's headline and write-up on the topic.

US MP for Chicago meets PM Yingluck

BANGKOK, 30th August 2013 (NNT) - Lieutenant Colonel Ladda Tammy Duckworth, US member of parliament for Chicago paid a visit to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at the Parliament house.

http://61.19.244.31/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNFOR5608300010001

Note To NNT:
USA doesn't have MP's.
Congresswoman Duckworth's 8th district is suburbia, not Chicago.
American veterans don't latch onto their former military rank as titles for the rest of their lives.

• Like 1

Same old story just different faces.

Thai's can enter politics in farang countries and own property,collect welfare and even take farang husbands to court and maybe win.

In Thailand soi dogs have more rights than farangs because they were born here.

Farangs are nothing here except an ATM machine for poor farm girls and their broken families..

This US/Thai woman is just a smiling hypocrite like all the others.

Edited by jalansanitwong

"I hope to be able to foster closer ties between the US and America," she said in Thai...Huh?

"However, she did not defend Washington when asked about Guantanamo Bay, saying she wanted it to be shut down immediately because it went against the US constitution as it did not give prisoners the right to a fair trial." Here, she demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the U.S. Constitution. Foreign enemy prisoners aren't covered by, and don't have rights afforded to citizens of the U.S by the U.S. Constitution.

"True leadership isn't just about doing what's right in front of the cameras or while there's someone watching, but doing it when one thinks it's right," she said." True.

"She defended the US's chummy relationship with repressive regimes such as Saudi Arabia, saying these ties served in the best interests of the American people. "The role of any government is to look after its own people," she said." Uh, there is enough oil under American soil that the country doesn't need to depend upon Saudi Arabia or other nations, and as such, U.S. government and those in places of power are looking out for their "own people", but those "people" don't happen to be it's citizens, but the power brokers and monied interests who own the politicians.

I hate these double-barreled nationalities. If you're American, be American. If you come from another country, be American of 'whatever' descent. This is just fodder for the PC crowd.

I concur. Successfully settling in a new country takes 100% commitment. My pasport says UK citizen with no qualification that I am of Anglo-Saxon stock.

AFAIK on marriage in the UK the couple may decide which family name that they will use. As far as I'm concerned it is make your mind up time for both. The practice of not settling on one family name indicates a lack of commitment to the partnership.

• Like 1

"Duckworth won a Purple Heart after she lost both her legs when the Black Hawk helicopter she was piloting got hit by an RPG in 2004 in Iraq."

I'm an American vet and she has my respect even more now. America (USA) needs as many friends as we can get. I'm gonna show this article to some of my Thai friends so they will more understand that a Thai person can also be an American.

• Like 1

I hate these double-barreled nationalities. If you're American, be American. If you come from another country, be American of 'whatever' descent. This is just fodder for the PC crowd.

The woman's loyalties cannot be disputed. She gave 2 legs in the service of the USA.

She's done far more for the USA, then the likes of Michelle Bachman or that Sarah Palin idiot.

The Congresswoman has always described herself as an American first and foremost. The fact that she is stressing her Thai heritage is simply an effort to ingratiate herself with the Thais and to facilitate her work on behalf of the USA. I sincerely doubt that she would want to come back to Thailand, a country that is one of the worst places to be if one is physically disabled.

• Like 2

I am sure she returned the Thai passport once she became naturalised as an American, because that was what they wanted me to do here and hence I opted to remain an alien coffee1.gif

Why is that? My son holds two passports Thai/Australian. He is a citizen of both countries.

One assumes considering her previous military rank, she most certainly gave up her Thai passport, you get beyond a certain level in the military and dual nationality will not be tolerated, for a cannon fodder grunt they will not care, but once you get up the food chain it will matter

I accept what your saying, but dependent on what your son gets involved with career wise, the dual nationality thing could become a hinderance at some point..either in Thailand or Aussie...