Top police officials admonish Pattaya officers over bribery complaints

Rimmer

Top police officials admonish Pattaya officers over bribery complaints

PATTAYA:--Pattaya Police officers were lectured against bribe taking and reminded of their duties at a meeting with top regional law-enforcement officials.

Col. Suvichan Yankittikhun, deputy superintendent of Chonburi Police Station, and Pattaya Superintendent Col. Suwan Cheaonawinthawat also used the Aug. 23 assembly at the Town in Town hotel to present annual awards and scholarships to police families.

Suvichan told officers to place the needs of the public before their own and to work openly. He said provincial police officials had received many complaints about officers demanding bribes. Despite numerous warnings, the behavior has continued and legal cases are now being prepared against corrupt officers, he said.

Full story:http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/top-police-officials-admonish-pattaya-officers-over-bribery-complaints-29685

pattayamaillogo.png

-- Pattaya Mail 2013-08-30 footer_n.gif

Contrary to many speculations on this forum, many high ranking Thai police have credentials that would put most of us to shame. The Police General who is these Colonels' boss spent 17 years (yes, 17) working as a policeman deep undercover posing as a musician down in the volatile South of Thailand providing intel on drugs, smuggling and more. At any time, had he been suspected, he would have been killed. What did some of you do that is comparable ? He is a highly decorated and dedicated man and whatever he earned back then is hardly enough and I do not begrudge whatever he may be compensated these days. OK, he is just one and many are not so credible but generalisations about all Thai police are only as valid as generalisations about all car salesmen, all lawyers, all Brits, all Irish or any group you can think of.

if thats true peter then for me its a comfort that whatever he gets now for his efforts, and from whatever source, he deserves it

I have no reason to doubt the facts which the General conveyed himself to a small group gathered at a US navy reception as part of the reason why he likes to sing - which he did with the navy band that night. I was in that group and his story was told in a self-effacing way and there was no suggestion of it being meant to impress anyone.

• Like 1

Contrary to many speculations on this forum, many high ranking Thai police have credentials that would put most of us to shame. The Police General who is these Colonels' boss spent 17 years (yes, 17) working as a policeman deep undercover posing as a musician down in the volatile South of Thailand providing intel on drugs, smuggling and more. At any time, had he been suspected, he would have been killed. What did some of you do that is comparable ? He is a highly decorated and dedicated man and whatever he earned back then is hardly enough and I do not begrudge whatever he may be compensated these days. OK, he is just one and many are not so credible but generalisations about all Thai police are only as valid as generalisations about all car salesmen, all lawyers, all Brits, all Irish or any group you can think of.

u FORGOT THAT ALL muslims are terrorists too

Many on here complain about corruption ,but if they got fined 10,000 baht, i am sure they would accept a bung to the cop of 2,000 baht,kettle calling pot and all that.

although alien to most westerners, i think it works in general

i would rather pay there and then than go to court as i would have to elsewhere

i don't car who gets the money, just get it over with

same as in an accident, many visitors to Pattaya from all over Thailand

whats the likelihood of a buriram driver coming to court in Pattaya to have an accidents blame adjudicated over?

its better to have the insurance guys there overseen by the police, to make a blame decision and give the police the customary 500 for his service

its over and done then

life goes on

Fines paid on the spot with no ticket might go into an individual policeman pocket but I tend to think it goes into a fund and shared. Fines paid at the police station for which one gets a receipt can hardly be called corruption.

In many instances, Thai police stations are partly self-funded to cover operating costs. Any fancy police bikes are rented by the users from the station not given free. Uniforms, weapons etc, are bought by the individual policeman. In other words, without what many people just feel is corruption the station might not be viable. That's the way things are and that's unlikely to change.

Extortion is something else, as is paid protection for covering up illegal activity, and my own personal view is that this is what the admonition was all about and not about the minor greasing of the wheels at a petty level.

• Like 1

'Admonish" boy that's going to shake them up.

No 'Point' Rim . What's going on ?

"Sorry I have to refuse this Bribe as it could lead to me being Admonished & I couldn't handle that type of punishment"

Yep ! this is going to make it all go away & combine that with the multiple "Crackdowns' & the declaration that there is 'NO MAFIA' Pattaya will become the safest Tourist Destination in all of the ASEAN Countries.

I am Sooooooooooooo excited.

coffee1.gif