In hospital, got dengue fever.

TomTao

I have had a headache for about a week and a half, I didn't think anything of it because I often get exrended headaches caused by a back injury. Over the last few days I felt a little nauseous but nothing to write home about, yesterday just before lunch I started feeling a bit unsteady on my feet and started getting a fever. After lunch I had to ask my wife to hold my arm, when I tried to walk to to car but my legs wanted to go 90°. I got home and went to bed for a while and took some paracetamol, I also drank lots of water, I started feeling better so I thought the worst was over. Last night the fever returned with a vengeance and brought the shivers with it, at that time I decided it may be prudent to go to hospital. Once I went through triage the doctor said he would like to keep me in for a day or two and test me for malaria and dengue fever. The doctor saw me this morning and said my blood test came back positive for dengue fever, so I am booked into hospital for at least five days.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's definitely not nice, but you seem not to have the nasty haemorrhagic form.

I had the same thing in Delhi a few years back, laid up for a week unable to do much other then watch TV, drink water and sleep.

Rest and enjoy being pampered by the nurses tongue.png

It's definitely not nice, but you seem not to have the nasty haemorrhagic form.

I had the same thing in Delhi a few years back, laid up for a week unable to do much other then watch TV, drink water and sleep.

Rest and enjoy being pampered by the nurses Posted Image

This morning the doctor told me there are three phases to the disease, 1st the fever, 2nd shock phase, this is where the bleeding, if any starts, and finally recovery. I'm still in the fever phase, not looking forward to the shock phase.

The 'shock' phase for me consisted of feeling totally drained and unable to do anything, even getting up for a leak was hard work sad.png

Lasted 3 or 4 days IIRC before starting to feel better.

My Indian doc didn't warn me about the shock phase so when the fever went down I thought it was over, perhaps that's why they call it 'shock'. sad.png

• Like 2

The "shock" phase does not happen to everybody; in fact, it does not occur in most cases. It refers to a complication that only develops in a minority of cases of dengue. It is a serious complication, however, for which reason the platlet count needs to be regularly monitored so that if it occurs it is detected promptly.

The 'shock' phase for me consisted of feeling totally drained and unable to do anything, even getting up for a leak was hard work sad.png

Lasted 3 or 4 days IIRC before starting to feel better.

My Indian doc didn't warn me about the shock phase so when the fever went down I thought it was over, perhaps that's why they call it 'shock'. sad.png

The "shock" phase of dengue is a very serious (and fortunately rare ) complication associated with the haemorrhagic form of the disease.

What is described above is likely to be associated with many viral illnesses including flu. A full return to "well being" can take time.

Heading home today, my platelet count stopped going down at 86,000, the doctor says it could take up to 4 or 6 weeks to recover.

Glad to hear you are going home and through the worst of it. Take care.

Heading home today, my platelet count stopped going down at 86,000, the doctor says it could take up to 4 or 6 weeks to recover.

Glad to hear you are going home and through the worst of it. Take care.

Thank you.

I should warn you, in case the doctor did not, that it will take a long time to regain your strength, and depression is common during that period, sometimes quite severe depression. So if it happens, just know that it is only the dengue and will wear off in time.

• Like 1

My work colleague just recovered from dengue. Was not hospitalized. After the doctor diagnosed the illness, prescribed Paracetamol. That was it. This person's symptoms consisted of only flu-like symtoms + a rash + two weeks of feeling totally drained of energy.

Granted, there are several strains of dengue, and she was probably lucky to have contracted one of the least-virulent types.

I should warn you, in case the doctor did not, that it will take a long time to regain your strength, and depression is common during that period, sometimes quite severe depression. So if it happens, just know that it is only the dengue and will wear off in time.

He said that it could take 4 to 6 weeks to recover, I am expecting a long recovery period. Thanks for the heads up about the depression.

I just went to the hospital blood bank to ask how long I have to wait before I can give blood again, the nurse said I have to wait a year before I can give again.

Actually I am not aware of any reason why you could not give blood as soon as your blood count (hematocrit/hemoglobin and platlets) is fully normal.

I might have to check with the Red Cross in Chumphon if I can find them, the nurse said it's a one year holiday from donating after Dengue and three years after Malaria, the Malaria I can understand because of the likelyhood of the parasite remaining in the system, the only reason I can think of off the top of my head would be any effect that Dengue may have on the liver, bone marrow and anything else within the body that affects blood cell and/or platelette production.

Where do you live?

I live in Chumphon city, Bang Mak.

I assume that is out in the sticks a bit?

In any case, hope you get better soon.

Not in the sticks, unless you count Chumphon as being beyond the Black Stump, close to the mini Tesco and CAT Telecom. I still have a little dizziness, but at least the feeling of numbness has left my hands and feet.

• 2 months later...

Don't want to be pessimistic, but as Sheryl says, it can take a long time to recover.You also need to be quite vigilant about mozzie bites, not that you can really do anything, except move to a dengue - free climate, which might be a serious consideration. If there was a second occurrence you could have big problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't want to be pessimistic, but as Sheryl says, it can take a long time to recover.You also need to be quite vigilant about mozzie bites, not that you can really do anything, except move to a dengue - free climate, which might be a serious consideration. If there was a second occurrence you could have big problems.

I usually put on a mozzy repellant before I veture anywhere most times, the mozzies haven't really been a problem since the health department came out and sprayed around the area where I live, but the little biters are making a comeback since the recent floods. I will be returning to Australia shortly for a holiday, and I may need to return for a long period shortly, dependant on my parent's health, they are both in thier seveties.