Ducati Multi or KTM Duke 690 - anybody with experiences on both?

frankphuket

I know a Versys would do the job just as well her in Thailand, but I fancy something a bit more "exotic". Please do refrain from all those 'useful' responses about being snobbish, extravagant, etc.

Just fallen in love with both.... Haven't been riding since over 15 years, so want to get back into it a bit. Had for a short time a Kawasaki ER6-n, but not enough time on my hands to really enjoy it.

Want to have a bike I can keep for longer, easy usage, fun factor, yet a bit exclusive...

I like the lightness of the KTM and am sure power is plenty enough. But the Multi might be the more complete overall, but heavier and might get quite hot in traffic? Is the Multi overkill on Thai roads?

Wouldn't do long touring on it, rather shorter blasts around.

I am tending towards the KTM...;)

Anybody with experience on both would mind commenting?

If they are the two bikes you are choosing between then definitely, without a doubt go for the Multistrada! If you are worried about the size/weight of the Multistrada then wait a while as the Hyperstrada will be released soon as will the Hypermotard and Hypermotard SP smile.png

Edited by pastafarian

Can you buy the 690 SMC-R in Thailand? If so, how much is it? It looks like a lot of fun!

Can be bought from KTM (kunkacorp.com) but around 650k if I remember correctly. Compare that to the new Ducati Hypermotard 821 which will be sold here soon with the standard model expected to be around 550k and the upgraded SP model (with traction control, ABS and Ohlins suspension) about 600k it's really a no-brainer! KTM and Triumph are insanely overpriced here while other imported models are just overpriced wink.png

i say, wait for new less displacement and reasonable priced Ducatis.

Ducati is always a better brand than a KTM although prices are equal in Thailand.

Actually the prices of the bikes now assembled in Thailand have come down considerably. Compare the two bikes the OP is considering, the 690 Duke UK price is 6500 pounds while the base Multistrada is double that at 13,000 pounds. Here in Thailand the 690 Duke is 650k baht while the base Multistrada is 850k so only 200k more, not twice as much!

Can you buy the 690 SMC-R in Thailand? If so, how much is it? It looks like a lot of fun!

Can be bought from KTM (kunkacorp.com) but around 650k if I remember correctly. Compare that to the new Ducati Hypermotard 821 which will be sold here soon with the standard model expected to be around 550k and the upgraded SP model (with traction control, ABS and Ohlins suspension) about 600k it's really a no-brainer! KTM and Triumph are insanely overpriced here while other imported models are just overpriced wink.png

The KTM's I really like. I think they have a minimalist weight build/high performance approach

to bikes that I agree with. It keeps the power to weight ratios very nicely & they have great suspension

compared to Thai built bikes in that size range. Usually WP suspension

But price wise the mark up here in Thailand is really quite crazy

Over on rideasia<dot>net in their KTM Forum are some guys that go to India or

even Vietnam & get them crazy cheap then ride back & get the temporary type reg

that needs to be renewed ever 6 months I think it was.

But the price difference is insanely lower

Edited by mania

The new Hyper could surely be of interest. Not sure the prices stated here however? Rumors? I have asked both Ducati Bkk and Phuket and nobody could give me an indication on pricing or dates of becoming available.

They even could not confirm if it will be assembled here in Thailand, keeping all info to them really.

At 550,000 it would be a great buy (if you could call overpriced bikes here that anyway).

^^ If the Asian Monster is over 400k, I think you'd be doing well to get a new Hyper for 550k or less! (if produced in Thai)

I'd loooove to be proved wrong though!

Well the Multistrada ABS in the UK is about 3500 pounds (175,000baht) more than the standard Hypermotard so as the Multistrada ABS here is 850k the Hypermotard could well come in around the 550k mark but the SP version is a much better bike so if only 50-100k more then that would be the better buy smile.png

^^ If the Asian Monster is over 400k, I think you'd be doing well to get a new Hyper for 550k or less! (if produced in Thai)

I'd loooove to be proved wrong though!

Well the Multistrada ABS in the UK is about 3500 pounds (175,000baht) more than the standard Hypermotard so as the Multistrada ABS here is 850k the Hypermotard could well come in around the 550k mark but the SP version is a much better bike so if only 50-100k more then that would be the better buy smile.png

Ducati Chiang Mai were in Central Plaza Chiang Rai today on a promotional tour and the manager said the new Hypermotard will be available here around end of Oct and said price for the SP model would be around 600k so the normal one will be around 550k or less which is an absolute bargain by Thai standards!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Ducati/Ducati-Hypermotard-2013-current/

• Like 1

Saw a Duke 690 here in Chiang Mai yesterday.....what a sweet looking bike. The Thai owner had obviously done a few bling bling mods to it with the rear ducktail fender but the overall look of the bike was great. Ideal for a sprint up to Mae Sai and back on the same day! Im very interested in getting my hands on one.

Never heard any bad reports about KTMs

Comparing the MTS 1200 to the SMC 690. That's not easy. Or I should say very easy because they are 2 completely different bikes. For example, The MTS has double the amount of HPs.

I tested the SMC and it's very small. It has a very narrow seat too. I couldn't justify paying so much money for it here in LOS.You basically pay for a big bike but get a medium bike. Love the brand but KTM is too expenses here. Instead I bought the Thai assembled MTS. Much better value for money. If my weight would have been around 70 kg I would have thought about it twice but would still have gone with the MTS. I weigh100!! so the decision was very very easy.

Love the brand but KTM is too expenses here.

I agree & often wonder what the thinking was in such a high markup.

No matter what the taxes are if KTM here can start selling the Duke 200 at 249k

Then put it on sale for 199k

then one branch even went down to 180 or 187k I think it was....

That alone tells you regardless of taxes they just had too high a profit margin to begin with.

For comparison the Duke 200 sells for just under 60k baht in India

So even with taxes etc it should never be 249k

Makes me wonder because I know they are trying to create an exclusivity like Ducati

deal here by their adverts etc. But wouldn't they do so much better pricing it right/fair? Since it is in fact a decent

product.

I think if they doubled the India price or even a little more they would sell well & they would ultimately see a better profit margin

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Love the brand but KTM is too expenses here.

I agree & often wonder what the thinking was in such a high markup.

No matter what the taxes are if KTM here can start selling the Duke 200 at 249k

Then put it on sale for 199k

then one branch even went down to 180 or 187k I think it was....

That alone tells you regardless of taxes they just had too high a profit margin to begin with.

For comparison the Duke 200 sells for just under 60k baht in India

So even with taxes etc it should never be 249k

Makes me wonder because I know they are trying to create an exclusivity like Ducati

deal here by their adverts etc. But wouldn't they do so much better pricing it right/fair? Since it is in fact a decent

product.

I think if they doubled the India price or even a little more they would sell well & they would ultimately see a better profit margin

Very logical indeed, but this is where quite often businesses here in Thailand or Thai in general fail: applying logic.

By the way I was not comparing the 690 SMC but the Duke. Good comments so far, going either way. What is however definitely a challenge to justify the Dukes price point, as someone did some correct comparison of their pricing in Europe where the DUKE is much less than the DUC....

As said, just not sure if the DUC is not too big for use around town, the Duke could do that or as mentioned the new Hyper.....choices....(at least we have some now....even if they come rather slowly).

if you are using bike mainly for commuting i would suggest hypermotard instead of multistrada ( if i am not wrong sjould be lanched around november) i had one 796 for 2 years and it was really good even in bkk traffic...lower and lighter than multistrada...really hope the new hyper will be sold at the price mentioned in some post here...i tested it last month back home and it is just a pleasure...lot better than the old model..i cannot comment on the ktm since i never rode it

if you are using bike mainly for commuting i would suggest hypermotard instead of multistrada ( if i am not wrong sjould be lanched around november) i had one 796 for 2 years and it was really good even in bkk traffic...lower and lighter than multistrada...really hope the new hyper will be sold at the price mentioned in some post here...i tested it last month back home and it is just a pleasure...lot better than the old model..i cannot comment on the ktm since i never rode it

The price mentioned earlier was quoted by sales staff from Ducati so it should be close to that. The price isn't much different to the imported Hypermotard bike from Italy though. Mind me asking why you sold your 796 if it was such a great bike, was it to get the latest model? Could you give more feedback on how the new model is better than the old one? Thanks

The price mentioned earlier was quoted by sales staff from Ducati so it should be close to that. The price isn't much different to the imported Hypermotard bike from Italy though. Mind me asking why you sold your 796 if it was such a great bike, was it to get the latest model? Could you give more feedback on how the new model is better than the old one? Thanks

i sold it because i wanted to buy a different bike....(totally different bike and i will probably look in to the new hyper if price is right when available)..

engine is different: testastretta 4 valves if i am not wrong compared to old 2 valves..have lotmore power and regular flow of it...i also like the look of the new exhaust system compared to te old original stock one...it was really nice bike overall but, to really make me like it...i had to fit the full termignoni kit that really changed it ( red zone in 4th gear if i wanted and a significative improve in performance)..if i am not wrong the new one is already over 100hp ( mine was 80hp)..so as u can imagine u can really feel the difference...

on top of this the service i had from ducati thonglor has been absolutely outstanding in my experience ( compared with what i have experienced with other brands in thailand)

• Like 2

i sold it because i wanted to buy a different bike....(totally different bike and i will probably look in to the new hyper if price is right when available)..

engine is different: testastretta 4 valves if i am not wrong compared to old 2 valves..have lotmore power and regular flow of it...i also like the look of the new exhaust system compared to te old original stock one...it was really nice bike overall but, to really make me like it...i had to fit the full termignoni kit that really changed it ( red zone in 4th gear if i wanted and a significative improve in performance)..if i am not wrong the new one is already over 100hp ( mine was 80hp)..so as u can imagine u can really feel the difference...

on top of this the service i had from ducati thonglor has been absolutely outstanding in my experience ( compared with what i have experienced with other brands in thailand)

also hope the price mentioned is right...as soon as ducti released the bike for a short time on sucti thailand website there was new hyper quoted at 800k and hyperstrada at around 850k...this for 1 week and it disappeared..this i guess due to a decision of delaying the launch of the bike in asia ( has been presented officially to asian importers i May if i am not wrong) maybe due,as suggested,to a possible local production in thailand...

The only thing they might do with a Thai assembled Hypermotard would be like they did with the Monster 795 which is to use a few lower spec parts, guess that would keep the cost down. But I don't believe they've done that with the Thai assembled Multistrada so will have to wait and see.

• 3 weeks later...

heard also from some guy in "borgo panigale" rumours of a local produced hyper....time to start saving money for me....just hope the price is i the range of 500k and not over...

A Thai friend that has bought three bikes from Ducati CM has said he's been told they'll initially be a standard, locally produced Hypermotard for 5-550k and an imported SP version for around 800k available next month.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

heard also from some guy in "borgo panigale" rumours of a local produced hyper....time to start saving money for me....just hope the price is i the range of 500k and not over...

A Thai friend that has bought three bikes from Ducati CM has said he's been told they'll initially be a standard, locally produced Hypermotard for 5-550k and an imported SP version for around 800k available next month.

i would be happy with the std version...if that is the price... does your friend have "any feeling"on when they should start the production here?

i would be happy with the std version...if that is the price... does your friend have "any feeling"on when they should start the production here?

If he is right then it must have started already as he was told by his contact at Ducati CM that they'll be sold towards the end of October.

• 2 weeks later...

Locally assembled and lower spec Hypermotard and Hyperstrada are 500k and 550k respectively and the Italian made SP version is 950k.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=566054833442741&set=a.326116740769886.68498.322682627779964&type=1&theater

• Like 1

Locally assembled and lower spec Hypermotard and Hyperstrada are 500k and 550k respectively and the Italian made SP version is 950k.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=566054833442741&set=a.326116740769886.68498.322682627779964&type=1&theater

now i am in trouble.....
  • Like 1