No phone lines into an entire condo block

Sounds to me, based upon your time line, that your building got caught in the fight between TOT, TT&T, and 3BB. When 3BB separated itself from TT&T they continued to use TOT's phone lines (which had been leased by TT&T) and finally TOT came in and had all the lines that were being used illegally by 3BB cut. In many cases 3BB came in and replaced the internal lines and all was well with the world, unfortunately in some cases the building would not allow 3BB to install new lines, so those customers were just out of luck

Your problem is two fold, one of course is dealing with the condo management company for authorization and the second is dealing with TOT or TT&T to get them to provide a new external and, according to your post, new internal lines

Unless you can get a large number of other tenants to demand a phone line into the building I think that you are out of luck. If you had made a complaint when the lines was originally cut you would have more leverage but as it stands now, I see an expensive lawyer in your immediate future

I see mobile phones and wireless modems in his future. Who needs a land line now anyway?

Still need a land line based internet service, cable or phone, for unlimited downloads.

Based on the age of your building i would say the course of action would be contact TOT to hookup a phone line (you'll pay for the installation). Get your building technician to work with the TOT techs in deciding who is installing which portion of the cables.

If met with resistance from either building tech or TOT techs then bungs all round (500-1000baht per side) should do the trick and they will install the wire no matter what the building management says when it puts money directly into their pockets.

It may seem to a layman like a lot of work to install a new cable from the street all the way up to your room, but it really is not that much work as there are already conduits to poke the wires through.Couple of hours max.

Edited by pancakeman

Well, it looks like I may be relying on an old friend who runs a WiFi internet service in the condo block. I have never had good luck with WiFi internet services in serviced apartments or hotels, but he's a pleasant enough fellow and is charging a reasonable rate for what seems to be a 10Mbps speed so far. The service is on a month-to-month basis, so I can bail out at any time if I can somehow finagle a hard-wired ADSL connection.

I don't feel so frantic and time-pressed now to get the condo folks to do something, which is key to getting things done: they take their sweet old time, and if you make it look like it was their idea to do something, it brings smiles all around. I think now that the pressure on them (from me) is off, when things have cooled down I will be able to grease the wheels (tea money) enough to get it done. I was surprised at the B500-B1000 suggested above, that seems cheap. :-)

But, one question still nags: Can I still run both TT&T phone service and another carrier's ADSL on the same physical phone line?

Well, it looks like I may be relying on an old friend who runs a WiFi internet service in the condo block. I have never had good luck with WiFi internet services in serviced apartments or hotels, but he's a pleasant enough fellow and is charging a reasonable rate for what seems to be a 10Mbps speed so far.

But where is he getting it from? If he can get it, so can you.

Well, it looks like I may be relying on an old friend who runs a WiFi internet service in the condo block. I have never had good luck with WiFi internet services in serviced apartments or hotels, but he's a pleasant enough fellow and is charging a reasonable rate for what seems to be a 10Mbps speed so far.

But where is he getting it from? If he can get it, so can you.

Wifi doesn't reach very far especially inside a concrete condo. In my experience only about 20 meters through a couple of walls or floors. And if your friend is only a few rooms away then how is he able to get DSL without any problem (or does he get internet via dish?)

Isn't there a way over sattelite? Or am I dreaming that?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is possible to have an ISP that uses satellite links.

The expensive ones rely on you having a telephone line and old fashioned modem to send data "UP-stream" to the internet, such data as page requests and enquiries to Google etc. Then the satelite leg of the data link is used to send the results "DOWN-stream" to your computer using the higher bandwidth of the earth-satellite-earth link. Of course you need a suitablly sized dish with line of sight visibility to the relevant satellite orbit.

There are systems that utilize GSM mobile phone networks for the up-link, but the data rates are back in the 1980s ~15kbps.

The exorbitantly expensive ones will give you bidirectional transmit and receive capability via satellite. Dish is about 0.75 M

I see systems sold in Europe for ~15,000 Baht installed plus 10,000 Baht/Month for 75GB usage, 2 year contract.

• Like 1

IF I understand correctly, several years ago he managed to have some direct phone lines installed that were *not* ripped out when the rest of them were. The WiFi (802.11n even) router I connect to is above the condo directly across the hall from me, so I have a very strong signal from the router.

He has several routers throughout the building, and authorized me on the next nearest router as well, just in case something goes wrong with the one across the hall.

I'm impressed so far with the connection: I downloaded a Ubuntu distro via torrent and reached 2.0 MBps (16Mbps) actual data download. The average for that entire 700MB+ download was 1.6MBps (12.8Mbps). This building doesn't have many children, so I don't expect a huge drop in speed when school gets out and they start video gaming. More likely, it'll be the aging, mainly male, population downloading live HD football games. :-)

post-33251-0-21855700-1378111141_thumb.g

I would go the 3G modem or Wi-Fi even if it not the final answer you can at least get on the internet again. Do a scan with the Wi-Fi on you computer or Mobile and see if there any strong Wi-Fi Signals around like AIS or True or even a free Wi-Fi signal.

Second option get a 3G USB modem or a 3G external modem and Sim card from one of the 3G internet providers. If you got a good good signal strength the 3G Usb modems work fine. I presume you got a 3G phone of some sort what sort of signal strength do you have with your current Carrier? if it not great see if a friend on another carrier can come over see if the carrier got stronger signal.

• 1 month later...

To all the guys suggesting 3G (actually HSDPA+), please... PLEASE stop promoting this pure rip off that the 3G is!

3G is slow! very high ping, cannot use Skype or anything without delay

3G has super slow download speed

3G has even super more slower upload speed

3G is bad quality! very high % of loss packets, connection interuption all the time

3G is limited to max 3 GB of data downloaded/uploaded

3G is super expensive! 3 GB of data is equivalent to downloading one 1080p movie on thepiratebay, ONLY ONE!!!

3G is a scam

3G was invented for phones, for intermittent low-quality internet

3G is shit

3G must die

STOP PROMOTING 3G USAGE IN CONDO!!!!!!!!!! GET A REAL PHONE LINE AND REAL ADSL INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!

moho mack mack...

If not this thread another with the same problem - it's not uncommon - i've explained that the issue requires some testing and then technical ability.

If your shoebox in the sky in on the wrong side from the cell-phone tower or through 400 meters of re-enforced concrete from the cell-phone antenna array on the roof then you will get a bad signal! Common sense no?

Back to postcards and a pencil ?