78,000! Is It Enough

i have been offered a job , with a salary of roughly 78000, will be this enough to live off , i also get a housing allowance of 12,000B, per month, what kind of place will i be able to rent and what sort of living standard will this provide, Are there any good gyms, sports clubs, running teams, thanks for your help :o

Gyms tend to be expensive in Bnagkok. A decent one with modern equipment should cost about 18,000 baht per annum to join maybe more, depending where it is. There are expat sports teams here for rugby, cricket and other sports as well. If you are into running and drinking you can hash !!

have been offered a job , with a salary of roughly 78000, will be this enough to live off , i also get a housing allowance of 12,000B, per month

More than enough for one guy, or even a wife and family...but sooner or later you will want to branch out and get yourself a minor wife, or maybe two. That's when it gets expensive.

With the housing allowance, and factoring in the lower cost of living in Pattaya, I'd say it's fine so long as you don't have kids and don't plan to save money. One of the Pattaya online guides will tell you where to find a gym and other sports facilities. It's not a bad way to start looking for a new home.

i have been offered a job , with a salary of roughly 78000, will be this enough to live off , i also get a housing allowance of 12,000B, per month, what kind of place will i be able to rent and what sort of living standard will this provide, Are there any good gyms, sports clubs, running teams, thanks for your help :o

Salary is high for Farang in Pattaya, but housing allowance is on low side. Either way presume they are paying it to you as part of your salary, so will therefore be taxed. In my opinion, 12,000 is not going to get you a lot. In Pattaya or naklua, you will be looking at a small apartment or studio in a poor building with minimal security and crappy furniture. Outside of Pattaya (perhaps nr the International School) you could pick up a 2 bedroom house with again basic furniture for about 18,000. Local Thai housing starts at 2,000 baht a month upwards but you get basically a pit and no furniture. Truly western style housing and perhaps more improtantly nice furniture starts around 25,000 for 2 bedrooms and keeps going up to well over a 100,000 month for large houses.

Where is your job (not the company just the area) and will you have a car?, If your teaching you might want to consider living in one of the villages where they collect the kids every day by minibus.

Most estate agents are not going to be much help unless you want to spend signifigantly more but have a look at www.scrhomefinder.com for some examples.

PS I picked up from the Pattaya thread that you are single farang female, which is why I have phrased the answers in this way. If you were a single male, you could consider other places but personally I would not stay in them if I were in your situation.

Hope this helps

thanks the job will be in Pattaya. also i am looking at living in the naklua area, so any info about there would be cool

Naklua so-so. Jomtien is better, more houses and good condos w/pool, balcony, security etc for 12-15,000. Live-in help can be had for 5000/month for mama plus 1000-1500 week for herself.

Under no circumstances let on that your salary is 78K/month!!!!!!!