Adapters Problems with American Made Vacuum.

SecretAgentMan

What did it cost you? Wouldn't buying a new appliance be cheaper?

No

The step down costed 4500 baht. But Rainbow Vacs are water filtered and the newer models are also hepa filtered. They filter the air while cleaning and have saved me from many allergy attacks and asthma discomfort. My refurbished 10 year old vac sells for over $500 on eBay. Plus shipping and custom fees it would be near $900 total. They do sell them here in Thailand through a dealer in BKK +30,000 baht for the refurbished. The new ones are crazy expensive. So I am happy with getting away with only 4500 BHT.

For about 4000 you can buy an Electro... vacuam cleaner which as hepa filters. probably better than messing around.

Rainbow Vacs are without bags. The dust is trapped in a water basin. Better than Hepa alone. I have tried many Hepa Filtered Vacs nothing comes close to a Rainbow. Nothing is like being able to breath more easily for an asthma sufferer. Hepa filters Vacs are as nothing to me. Even though the newer Rainbow models have Hepa Filters I believe they do it because of Hepa Filter Hype. I have an older Rainbow model without Hepa Filters and I have had a newer model with Hepa Filters. I get the same amount of relief because "wet dust don't fly." The water filtration really reduces the amount of airborne allergens and cleans the air better than any other vacuum or for that matter air cleaner. (In my humble opinion and it is my experience of real comfort that matters for me.) The newer ones actually has a lower setting also so it will double as an air cleaner in its own right. And I believe it is certified for that use.

Edited by SecretAgentMan

Global House has just started selling serious transformers in all sorts of sizes up to about 30A if I remember rightly. Worth a look, but on the other hand, if it's pretty much just for the one appliance it's probably better to simply buy a new one and re-sell it when/if you leave the country.

No I have a few other appliances. Thx to everyone that has helped me. I am pretty set-up now.

• 9 months later...

The other day, I accidentally blew out the fuse on my home's 1500 watt, 220V to 110V power converter, which I've long used to power a variety of U.S. origin electrical devices I still have in my home.

The power converter had a 30 mm, 12 amp glass tube fuse, and at the outset, I had no idea where to look for a replacement, and didn't find much info on the issue of replacement fuses and where to find them in the various threads here.

I was going to try the FortuneTown Mall in BKK where there is an Amorn shop. But before going there, I tried the HomePro store adjoining the Ploenchit BTS station, and was happily surprised to find they had quite a good assortment of various fuses 5-packs -- 2.5A, 5A, 10A, and 15A, typically 30mm length. Prices around 18-20 baht per package. But they didn't have any 12A fuses. Their stock was in the main electrical area on the same floor as the BTS Skywalk entrance.

So, I took a leap by bringing home a package of 15A fuses, and replaced my power converter's original 12A one with the 15A variety. And thus far, everything seems to be running fine. Anyone know if I should expect any issues from using a 15A fuse in place of a 12A OEM one???

All the fuses HomePro is stocking came from a Nonthaburi-based supplier, as follows:

post-58284-0-66998900-1402390731_thumb.j

• 1 year later...