Dunkin' Donuts Thailand under fire for 'racist' ad campaign

webfact

This advert can only be seen is racist to racist people. Phil Robertson, you sir, are an idiot.

Could not agree more. This is nonesense and Mr Robertson is indeed an idiot who needs to get a life and find something more credible to justify his existance. This racist and PC rhetoric has simply gone too far.

If this truly is a concern for him he is simply in the wrong job. There are far more pressing human rights issues in this country than this trivial advert which if it offends anyone, then I am in total despair.

• Like 2

It's just one of those things that is 'wrong in America' by default, without any sense or discussion.

This includes blackface makeup, even in countries that don't have any history of black slavery or minstrel shows. No, the imperial force of America will decide what is right and wrong for the rest of the world, projecting their own guilt trip globally.

Another one that America has collectively decided on for everyone else is 'rape can never feature in anything funny' and anyone who makes a joke that involves rape, however funny or appropriate, shall be tarred and feathered for life. Rape is also never sexual in nature, and there is *nothing* any woman anywhere can do or not do to reduce the risk. Ever.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

I'm really not sure just how this ad claims that a particular race is superior to another, which is what a racist is defined as. Does this so-called human rights group say what is racist about the ad...? With all the real racism in this world, they are concerned with this? A "tale" told by an idiot...

• Like 1

UPDATE:
Dunkin’ Donuts Apologizes For Blackface Ad In Thailand

BY REBECCA LEBER

Dunkin’ Donuts has apologized and pulled advertising for its campaign in Thailand that shows a model with blackface makeup and the caption, “Break every rule of deliciousness.”

The Thailand branch of Dunkin’ Donuts initially responded that the outrage amounted to “paranoid American thinking.” In fact, Dunkin’s Thailand CEO Nadim Salhani noted, their sales have been up.

“It’s absolutely ridiculous,” Salhani said.. “We’re not allowed to use black to promote our
doughnuts? I don’t get it. What’s the big fuss? What if the product was white and I painted someone white, would that be racist?”

But Human Rights Watch said it is unacceptable that an international brand adopt this line of marketing.

Full story: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/08/30/2558371/dunkin-donuts-pulls-blackface-thailand/

-- THINK PROGRESS 2013-08-31

For starters, pretty much EVERY culture/race is racist to some degree, INCLUDING those that like to scream RACIST the most at every opportunity.

And as MOST of you should already know, "white skin" in SEA is NOT so much of a racist matter as it is a SOCIAL CLASS matter. The "whiter" your skin, the higher up on the "social status" scale you may be. This dates back to ancient history long before "white men" ever came to Asia.

And as MOST of you should already know as well, in Thailand when 2 people meet for the first time, the "whiteness" of the skin (as well as attire, make-up, jewelry, etc) help determine who is "higher" on that social scale and who should be wai-ing first and lowest. That is the reason so many Thais (primarily women it seems) are so keen on having "white" skin, so that they can appear to be of a higher social status than they really are.

Dunkin Donuts biggest mistake perhaps was not marketing a white chocolate donut with a model done up in "white" face. Want to bet that if they did that you would not hear ONE SINGLE CLAIM of racism from ANYONE ?

What a load of "Hogwash"

With hogwash you must certainly mean the last sentence?

The forst three sentences, however, have the ring of truth.

My wife is rather dark and from very good family.

And she agrees with the three sentences.

But for most Thai people to deny this is a matter of face.

I'm Black. Not offended. Not really black face. The entire photo is black, but accents the lips to portray how delicious the donut is. I guess there is a thin line between art and racism.

+1 some liberals are so overtly protective of minority groups that they "invent" supposed harm ...
  • Like 1

I'm Black. Not offended. Not really black face. The entire photo is black, but accents the lips to portray how delicious the donut is. I guess there is a thin line between art and racism.

+1 some liberals are so overtly protective of minority groups that they "invent" supposed harm ...
I wonder what will happen if it was an ad instead for Black Doughnut Hoes...

or else they are terrified witless over 'offending' them (vis the widespread placating of Muslims) they will gladly allow perpetual pissing up their backs just so long as they're told its just a spot of rain

wink.png

I don't quite understand all the brouhaha raised by an agency in California. How does this affect the market in Thailand? If you want to criticize DD, talk about their product. I bought a doughnut at the BKK train station. It was so under-cooked I could stretch it like chewing gum. I am much more concerned about what goes into my stomach than into the media. That was my first and last visit to DD in Thailand.

The LA Times article say the Human Rights guy "has lived in Thailand for 20 years." Were I Dunkin' Donuts, I would would be filing a criminal defamation lawsuit against this guy. Put him in a Thai prison, and then he'll REALLY have some human rights problems to contemplate.

• Like 1

Dunkin' Donuts apologises for 'bizarre and racist' Thai advert

Poster to promote new 'charcoal donut' featured Thailand chief executive's daughter in 'blackface"

Dunkin-Donuts-Thai-advert-010.jpg

Why is this so offensive.

other than its not really that great of an advert, IMO.

Agreed. The face paint was intended to match the donut...! What's the f***ing issue?

I don't quite understand all the brouhaha raised by an agency in California. How does this affect the market in Thailand?

It doesnt in the slightest and if DD wasnt a presence in 'merica they wouldnt be listening

Raise the 'racist whip' in the west and watch any corporation tremble.

If there was no domestic target in his sights the hand wringing complainant would not have bothered

UPDATE:

Dunkin Donuts Apologizes For Blackface Ad In Thailand

BY REBECCA LEBER

Dunkin Donuts has apologized and pulled advertising for its campaign in Thailand that shows a model with blackface makeup and the caption, Break every rule of deliciousness.

The Thailand branch of Dunkin Donuts initially responded that the outrage amounted to paranoid American thinking. In fact, Dunkins Thailand CEO Nadim Salhani noted, their sales have been up.

Its absolutely ridiculous, Salhani said.. Were not allowed to use black to promote our

doughnuts? I dont get it. Whats the big fuss? What if the product was white and I painted someone white, would that be racist?

But Human Rights Watch said it is unacceptable that an international brand adopt this line of marketing.

Full story: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/08/30/2558371/dunkin-donuts-pulls-blackface-thailand/

Yea, according to this, the American home office stepped in and started grovelling almost immediately. Some PR flak named Karen. Probably a 20 something just graduated from Brown or Bryn Mawr or the likes.

--"The corporate office responded more apologetically than the Thailand franchise and announced it would end the campaign. Dunkin Donuts recognizes the insensitivity of this spot, Chief Communications Officer Karen Raskopf said. On behalf of our Thailand franchisee and our company, we apologize for any offense it caused.

Just look at what is happening in the USA in recent months and you will see a whole world of racists and race-baiters that are of African origin. The recent trials that involved Black victims and Black perpetrators show the slant of being politically-correct in the USA right now. As some posters have said, if the subject in this ad would have been painted White, not one word of racism would have been touted by supposed civil rights groups. Enough is enough. Just hope that the Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and Jeremiah Wright patrols do not infiltrate the rest of the world. It is a sad state of affairs............

• Like 1

For starters, pretty much EVERY culture/race is racist to some degree, INCLUDING those that like to scream RACIST the most at every opportunity.

And as MOST of you should already know, "white skin" in SEA is NOT so much of a racist matter as it is a SOCIAL CLASS matter. The "whiter" your skin, the higher up on the "social status" scale you may be. This dates back to ancient history long before "white men" ever came to Asia.

And as MOST of you should already know as well, in Thailand when 2 people meet for the first time, the "whiteness" of the skin (as well as attire, make-up, jewelry, etc) help determine who is "higher" on that social scale and who should be wai-ing first and lowest. That is the reason so many Thais (primarily women it seems) are so keen on having "white" skin, so that they can appear to be of a higher social status than they really are.

Dunkin Donuts biggest mistake perhaps was not marketing a white chocolate donut with a model done up in "white" face. Want to bet that if they did that you would not hear ONE SINGLE CLAIM of racism from ANYONE ?

What a load of "Hogwash"

Anyone remember the old joke--How do you get the holes in the donuts ???

Better stop screening the Thai soap operas, they all look like they have seen a ghost.

UPDATE:

Dunkin Donuts Apologizes For Blackface Ad In Thailand

BY REBECCA LEBER

Dunkin Donuts has apologized and pulled advertising for its campaign in Thailand that shows a model with blackface makeup and the caption, Break every rule of deliciousness.

The Thailand branch of Dunkin Donuts initially responded that the outrage amounted to paranoid American thinking. In fact, Dunkins Thailand CEO Nadim Salhani noted, their sales have been up.

Its absolutely ridiculous, Salhani said.. Were not allowed to use black to promote our

doughnuts? I dont get it. Whats the big fuss? What if the product was white and I painted someone white, would that be racist?

Yea, according to this, the American home office stepped in and started grovelling almost immediately. Some PR flak named Karen. Probably a 20 something just graduated from Brown or Bryn Mawr or the likes.

--"The corporate office responded more apologetically than the Thailand franchise and announced it would end the campaign. Dunkin Donuts recognizes the insensitivity of this spot, Chief Communications Officer Karen Raskopf said. On behalf of our Thailand franchisee and our company, we apologize for any offense it caused.

Well there you have it

Doughnuts that gastronomically and in ideology stick in your craw

sad.png

Thats how Thailand is EXACTLY the same as India. Brahmins and Kshatriyas all the way to the Pariah and Sudras.

Thailand has a lot of Aryan pride in them.... OHHHHHH!!! soooo THATS the connection to nazi obsession!!!!

God I hate this world... I give up, people are simply too retarded to live together...

And yea, Thais are many times quite racist. And most of the time without even realizing so, which I find quite innocent. Most people I know have nothing against anyone and always speaks about everyone in this world as pee - nong. But when it comes down to it even these people are extreme in their stereotypes, which is an artifact of the whole ignorant society rather than of conscious racism... It wasn't that many years since we where way worse off.. in fact, I see more real racism in Scandinavia than in Thailand, even though it's way more hidden and underground it's also way more conscious attacks, which in turn probably is an artifact of us growing up knowing whats "right and wrong".

That your average Thai is quite xenophobic is nothing new. So, does this post in turn make me a racist?