Dunkin' Donuts Thailand under fire for 'racist' ad campaign

webfact

This is a non-issue. Thai's don't even know who Hitler is, let alone Jim Crow or the black face minstrel shows. It is an advertisement for a chocolate donut and it worked for them. It wasn't racist until people starting making it racist. Nobody came out and said "I hate black people" or "white power" or any other of that nonsense.

Looks more beautiful black. I think they're overreacting frankly, have to agree with the Thailand CEO. But also have to agree it "fits into a long history of racist advertisements in Southeast Asia."

Do you remember DARKIT tooth paste? Another brand that was forced to change because of the racist Americans.

Coming from probably the most politically correct country in the world & the most liberal state (California) in the union, where the majority of the natives have never been to Asia or even encountered other cultures off soil (an "education of" only via the media). California is a State (LA is bad, but that is because all those lunatics from the North invaded) which believes if they buy an energy saving light bulb or drive a Prisus, that they are 'indeed' helping to save the world.....ahh point...must be more people there are careful with their wording and the those "finger pointers" are bored and now have to go further out to "keep face".

Looks more beautiful black. I think they're overreacting frankly, have to agree with the Thailand CEO. But also have to agree it "fits into a long history of racist advertisements in Southeast Asia."

Do you remember DARKIT tooth paste? Another brand that was forced to change because of the racist Americans.

they only changed one letter and the symbol remains the same.

It's not offensive much less racist. It's not blackface. It's HRW trying to grab some spotlight.

It only takes one to pipe up and get some attention; Native Americans don't give a crap if an NFL team is named the Redskins. However, if one Native American b1tches about it to somebody in the media, then the media has grist for that highly profitable PC/Identity Politics mill.

Dunkin' Donuts apologises for 'bizarre and racist' Thai advert

Poster to promote new 'charcoal donut' featured Thailand chief executive's daughter in 'blackface"

Dunkin-Donuts-Thai-advert-010.jpg

Doesnt offend me much

and its not really that great of an advert, IMO

Me either. If they wanted realism they would have used a fat model.

Non of the executives had a fat daughter.

Or a black one either.

If you mean Darkie, which became Darlie, the impetus came from Thailand's friends in the non aligned movement. Afro Americans, like their caucasian and hispanic fellow citizens most likely have no idea Thailand exists. There is a greater likelihood of the country being mistaken for a discount haberdasher outlet than a nation.

This advert can only be seen is racist to racist people. Phil Robertson, you sir, are an idiot.

Could not agree more. This is nonesense and Mr Robertson is indeed an idiot who needs to get a life and find something more credible to justify his existance. This racist and PC rhetoric has simply gone too far.

If this truly is a concern for him he is simply in the wrong job. There are far more pressing human rights issues in this country than this trivial advert which if it offends anyone, then I am in total despair.

Mr. Robertson, et al should be seated on a flight to Syria to investigate (watch?) some material (alleged) human rights abuses. Gas masks strongly recommended.

• Like 1

Actually in comparison to most of the world (especially in consideration to America's existing life...around 200 years or less given the transitional period & the fact that it's a branch of the British/Irish and those Europeans - two of which brought such values as Slavery) America is closer to one of the least Racist countries in the World. Any country where in ratio the (rather large) majority are of one, the more "dislike to" or "stand-out" will be the foreigner. Asia & Japan are extreme racists (if not out right Bigots but with the broad "Banker's" smile - money side steps all), so are all of Latin & South America. The UK as well to a lessor degree from Asia & the hispanics but very high in Northern Europe.

Perhaps they will now refer to this product as the "Darlie" Doughnutwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

------------------

I wondered if someone would comment on "Darlie" toothpaste.

I first came to Thailand when it still was called "Darkie" toothpaste and remember it being sold in stores in Thailand under that name.

Also marketed under that same name (with same image on the package) in Singapore as I recall.

I met this guy once many years ago. He said he has a university degree, but can't find a white collar job because of his dark skin, so to make ends meet he took a job as the guard on the parking lot of a bank.

Sad but true! Thais are amongst the most racist/discriminating people in the world, by that I don't mean them going out looking for non Thais to bash them.

I don't see any racism in this advertisement. Not like the model was eating watermelon or grits. Sometimes being politically 'correct' takes some bizarre twists and turns. Doughnuts have no historical links to blacks as a preferred food. Maybe the police should be offended!cheesy.gif

they only changed one letter and the symbol remains the same.

No

They made the logo black guy in the big hat with the smile into a white one to appease the PC wailers

You can still buy 'Blackman' mops etc in the Kingdom with an unadulterated logo wink.png

Ssssh though an American might hear about them wink.png

Edited by Regyai

Sometimes I have to wonder if those in the "PB Brigade" felt unloved by their Mother - oh my God, I said the M word - arg-g-g-g I said the G word................c'mon people where the hell is this all going?blink.png Wake up, grow up and get an interesting life to occupy yourself and stop making stupid statements.wai.gif

Doesnt the world know that asians are racist? I dont recall ever seeing light skinned actors on TV in Thailand, Philippines, and Malaysia.... One time I saw an old Thai drama on TV where the main "poor low class girl" used black face make up.

When they stop putting whitening agents in lotions and creams will be the day they stop being racist. I just live with it and pretend im in early 1900s america.

Exactly. These American based executives that have probably never even traveled to Thailand and thus have no idea that Thailand is not politically correct like America is and they get outraged when something like this happens. Well, it's because Thailand is not America - the values here are different and while I do wish it was more tolerant and skin color was less of an issue, Thailand is not at that stage yet. Maybe in 50+ years but not now.

Made me think of another ad I saw recently. Seems Black Man Cleaning tools, migh be pushing it a bit farther than the DD advert.

tool.jpg

As I said earlier

And also as I said without a 'Blackman' corporation within CONUS waiting to be terrified by these whingeing Winnies it will not come to be mentioned

Edited by Regyai

Racism and racist are quite new words in the English language(about 60 years) but Race,as in Human race has been around a lot longer.

It has been said that the words Racist and racism were brought in just to clobber the white people.

But this Dunkin Doughnuts thing is ridiculous. Do these people have nothing better to do?