Lab tests show Thai rice clear of chemical residues, toxins

webfact

Lab tests show Thai rice clear of chemical residues, toxins
By English News

13779214139659.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 31 – The Commerce Ministry reports that the latest tests on 220 rice samples from various provinces found no hazardous residues or chemical toxins.

Deputy Commerce Minister Yanyong Phuangrach said lab tests, conducted on packaged rice samples, found no phosphine, fungus or alpha toxin.

The volume of inorganic bromide residues, found in 130 samples, did not exceed the safety standard level of 50 milligrammes/kg, he said.

The rice samples were collected from Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakarn and Chachoengsao provinces from July 24.

Mr Yanyong said quality tests would continue in other provinces to ensure safety for consumers and test results would be sent to foreign importers to gain their trust and confidence in Thai rice.

Regarding the return of 3.2 tonnes of Thai rice from the US, the deputy minister said the lot was exported by Nakhon Luang Rice Trading to Best Food Service Incorporation in the US on October 25 last year and it was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration.

The US importer complained about the odor of the rice.

The Thai Food and Drug Administration immediately checked the lot on its return and confirmed that the rice was free from chemical residues, he said.

The Thai seller and US buyer mutually agreed on the return of the rice and no penalty was levied against the Thai exporter, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-08-31

The Thai FDA said that there was no problem with the rice that was rejected by the customer in the USA, if so than why?

The US FDA has ordered every port such as in New York and Chicago to confine Thai rice for random inspection. If the agency finds Thai rice with problems such as contamination, fungus, mold, or over-fumigation five times, the importer would be ordered to refuse Thai rice from exporters.

The source said that such stringent inspection has created concern among American importers as well as Thai rice exporters. Importers could easily turn to order rice from other rice export countries such as Vietnam and Cambodia. whistling.gif

You are so right so has Thailand finally admitted a consignment to the US was rejected because he initial reaction was that it didn't happen ?

• Like 1

You can always trust the results form Thai government lab tests. If they could make money selling the stuff, they would tell us is that s**t is safe to eat even though it has an odor. Oh wait a minute. They do tell us that about all those crap snacks they sell in convenience stores. Except those don't contain chemical residues, only pure chemicals.clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1

buy up supposedly contaminated rice at rock bottom price ( or confiscate it) then declare the orig tests incorrect, sell rice at huge profit. thats how it works ( I wonder if a thai was able to come up with this plan)?

Can rice be free of excessive pesticides and toxins and still smell bad from just being rotten?

Of course it can. Mouldy is mouldy. The human nose reacts to mouldy smell very quickly indeed.

So then the Commerce Ministry's reports and tests are just a meaningless smokescreen that proves zilch in regards to the rejected rice.

As expected.

Forgot about a bag of rice in one of me kitchen cupboards. Went rotten in a few months.

Does rubber degrade so quickly?

Yes it does.

THAILAND: Minister shocked by massive store of rotting rubber

Mon Feb 25, 2013 | Deputy Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Yuthapong Charassat said he was startled to find 10,000 tonnes of rubber left to rot in warehouses in three northeastern provinces under the government's pledging scheme

http://polynews.net/...bber/2013-02-25

Something doesn't smell right in this story.

Regarding a very serious subject like this, printing a statement made by a government official like: "Thai rice clear of chemical residues, toxins" without naming the lab that conducted the test and not specify what methods were used and which chemical substances they have been looking at is at least bad journalism if not plain propaganda.

• Like 1

Just take a bike ride along the country side where rice and vegetables are grown. Every time one passes a field where these products are there is a strong smell of chemicals dominated by the smell of phosphorus. I come from a country which has vast areas of veggie growing. I never had the penetrant and sometimes breathtaking smell experience like a have here while riding along the rice and other fields.

So if the rice importing countries should send someone here to smell around the country side they would know enough.

How can this be?? I observe the rice farmers:

1. Killing the snails with pesticide (Having the nasty side-effect of sending the rats into our houses because they have no food left in the rice-fields - or so goes the explanation of the chemical supplier whose business in rat poisons is also booming!!)

2. Spraying weedkiller before planting rice

3. Distributing selective seed sterilising chemicals to stop grass invasion after the rice is planted

4. Applying 2 to 3 lots of chemical fertilisers during the growth period

... and that's just the chemicals that I KNOW about!

Maybe if they tested for the right things they might get the results that they don't want to know about!!

• Like 2

So, when the EU food autorities find aflatoxin ( alpha toxin , what the hack is that ? ). Thai govertmnment preplaces it to me, flying it in by Thai Airways and sue the EU food autorities ? ?

Or just the same as with GMO in Thai rice noodles said to be found in Switzerland with the CHINESE rice strain Bt63, ex Thai President, Thai government, even the agricultural attache in Brussels, did.... - as usual - N O T H I N G !

RASFF system https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/rasff-window/portal/index.cfm?event=SearchForm ref nr 2009.0360 unauthorized genetically modified (Bt 63 rice) rice noodles from Thai President Food Plc – Thailand, but a genetically-modified rice strain originated in China. The Thai Department of Agriculture inspected the returned shipment and found no contamination. see http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/No-contamination-found-in-Thai-rice-based-products-30101441.html

So, when the EU food autorities find aflatoxin ( alpha toxin , what the hack is that ? ). Thai govertmnment preplaces it to me, flying it in by Thai Airways and sue the EU food autorities ? ?

Or just the same as with GMO in Thai rice noodles said to be found in Switzerland with the CHINESE rice strain Bt63, ex Thai President, Thai government, even the agricultural attache in Brussels, did.... - as usual - N O T H I N G !

RASFF system https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/rasff-window/portal/index.cfm?event=SearchForm ref nr 2009.0360 unauthorized genetically modified (Bt 63 rice) rice noodles from Thai President Food Plc Thailand, but a genetically-modified rice strain originated in China. The Thai Department of Agriculture inspected the returned shipment and found no contamination. see http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/No-contamination-found-in-Thai-rice-based-products-30101441.html

They found GMO rice from China in rice noodles from Thailand. Wow. That is a monstrous problem.

Their supply chain is busted wide open. what are these idiots playing at?

The Thai Food and Drug Administration immediately checked the lot on its return and confirmed that the rice was free from chemical residues, he said.

What more professional, more objective and more convincing proof could anyone ask for?

RASFF system https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/rasff-window/portal/index.cfm?event=SearchForm ref nr 2009.0360 unauthorized genetically modified (Bt 63 rice) rice noodles from Thai President Food Plc Thailand, but a genetically-modified rice strain originated in China. The Thai Department of Agriculture inspected the returned shipment and found no contamination. see http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/No-contamination-found-in-Thai-rice-based-products-30101441.html

They found GMO rice from China in rice noodles from Thailand. Wow. That is a monstrous problem.

Their supply chain is busted wide open. what are these idiots playing at?

very simple: that now in fact every importer of rice (products) have to do a GMO test for every incoming shipment from Thailand, making with that every shipment a Euro 500 more expensive.

Thai's only think in FOB, so.. what the hack.

But for me as rice importer into the EU, a reason more to look to the already MUCH MORE competative Vietnamese and Cambodian alternatives.

So, Thailand, good luck with your to high priced and too dubious rice. Use it for animal feed inside Thailand !